Need someone for Vz.58 build.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DR.NUMBERS

Addict of the Arcane Arts
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    I'm thinking about getting a Vz.58 kit and receiver for a build however, the Vz.58 uses some tools which I don't have e.g. hydraulic press.

Do any of our sponsors do gun builds?

DR.NUMBERS

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    Are you talking about helping you build the kit or build the whole kit for you?

I'm not entirely sure yet. It's supposed to be easier than an AK, more difficult than an AR, I'll have to look at the kit when I get it. I just know straight off the bat that I can't install the barrel without a hydraulic press.

If it will save me considerable time and a headache, I'm not opposed to having someone else do it entirely if it's under $300.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ask bambam1 (of the shak fame). He may have tools to do that. I don't know if he's done a VZ58 but he might be interested in the challenge if he hasn't.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I would just buy one outright. From what I understand the only recievers are Ohio Rapid Fire, and that they are hit and miss on quality. Then 922 parts are also hard to find also.

DR.NUMBERS

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    I would just buy one outright. From what I understand the only recievers are Ohio Rapid Fire, and that they are hit and miss on quality. Then 922 parts are also hard to find also.

Yeah, I've thought about it.

The problem is a good Czech Vz.58 is $850 and has no bay lug.

CAI Vz.2008 are $570-700 and I've heard very little good about them. The fit and finish just isn't there, barrel isn't chromed or as good a quality and the receivers aren't done to the mil-spec standards.

While a kit made with US receiver, Czech parts is about ~$500 and is the best compromise. I haven't had much trouble finding compliance parts.

IMO, $850 is just too much for this kind gun. At that price point I'd be looking at other, more refined weapons :(

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Yeah, I've thought about it.

The problem is a good Czech Vz.58 is $850 and has no bay lug.

CAI Vz.2008 are $570-700 and I've heard very little good about them. The fit and finish just isn't there, barrel isn't chromed or as good a quality and the receivers aren't done to the mil-spec standards.

While a kit made with US receiver, Czech parts is about ~$500 and is the best compromise. I haven't had much trouble finding compliance parts.

IMO, $850 is just too much for this kind gun. At that price point I'd be looking at other, more refined weapons :(

Over on the AKFILES they think highly of the CIA vz's. THe few Ive seen looked good fit and finish wise, with the exception of the Bakelite furniture, and the reciever were made by caspian. IMHO I dont think 850 is too much for a CZ manufactured rifle, especially when you look at the prices on milled AK's
    Anyway Ive got a press and have built a few AK's, if youve got the instructions and the kits, Id like to see it put together.

DR.NUMBERS

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    IMHO I dont think 850 is too much for a CZ manufactured rifle, especially when you look at the prices on milled AK's

The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with you. I've heard a lot of good things quality wise about the Czech rifles. Light, well made and with surprising accuracy. I'd be getting a folder, the purpose of this gun would be to have a light, handy, hi-cap rifle. My other considerations are the Ruger Mini14 and an AR style carbine. I think this is a good compromise in price and I prefer the caliber. It's also the same weight as the Ruger and smaller in fact. The AR would be the same size but slightly lighter and more expensive.

Anyway Ive got a press and have built a few AK's, if youve got the instructions and the kits, Id like to see it put together.

Thank you very much for the offer. I'll let you know if I go the kit route rather than the czechpoint option.

Top Bottom