Negligent Discharges avoidable

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Shooting range supervisor shares safety guidelines

* By ASHLEY M. BAILEY
    012609gunsafety.jpg

"East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office Deputy Tara Johnson looks through a cloud of smoke after firing a gun at a target on Thursday on the Sheriff’s Office firing range in Zachary. Johnson was using free time to practice shooting the gun."

The life of 15-year-old Esquire Williby ended on Jan. 17 with one tragic mistake.

Williby, who lived in Donaldsonville, was shot in the head by his 16-year-old cousin, said Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Chief Deputy, Tony Bacala, who described the shooting as accidental.

Williby’s cousin pointed the gun at the victim’s head and pulled the trigger, believing the gun was not loaded, Bacala has said.

The circumstances surrounding his death are hardly unique.

Williby’s death was followed five days later, on Jan. 22, by another accidental shooting also involving a teenage boy.

This time, a 16-year-old was shot in the chest while he and two other teenagers were playing with a gun, Baton Rouge police spokesman, Sgt. Don Kelly, said Friday. The boy suffered life-threatening injuries, Kelly said.

“This happens too often,” said Lt. Frank Washington, shooting range supervisor for the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office.

The most recent figures from the National Center for Health Statistics indicate that 789 people died in 2005 from accidental shootings.

Police agencies in Louisiana reported at least eight accidental shootings around the state last year. Six of the shootings were fatal and two happened in East Baton Rouge parish.

Part of Washington’s duty at the shooting range is to train law enforcement agents to safely carry and operate a firearm. He is also concerned with helping others make responsible decisions about guns.

“It’s important that anyone buying a gun know how to use it,” Washington said. He also said there are three basic rules that everyone must follow.

The first rule is to treat every gun as though it is loaded, he said. Washington said this rule is particularly important “if you’ve never seen (the gun) before or it’s your first time handling it.”

He recommended opening the cylinder first to make sure there is no ammunition in the gun. If there is, remove the ammunition before handling the gun, Washington said.

The second rule is never point the gun at anyone or anything you don’t want to destroy, he said.

The third rule is to keep your finger off the trigger unless you intend to fire the gun, Washington said.

All three tips might have saved Williby’s life and many others who have died from accidental shootings.

The gun used in Williby’s death belonged to the alleged shooter’s grandparents, relatives of both boys have said.

The grandparents, and many other parents and guardians, keep firearms in their homes and it is possible for children to get their hands on these weapons, Washington said.

Washington recommends that adults keep their guns under lock and key.

“When you weigh the features of losing a loved one and not having immediate access to a gun, I’d choose the latter,” he said.

Washington urges parents to teach their children to make better decisions before allowing them to use guns. The state mandates that anyone seeking a permit to carry a concealed weapon undergo eight hours of firearm safety training.
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/38311444.html?showAll=y&c=y

:)

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Washington urges parents to teach their children to make better decisions before allowing them to use guns.

I agree, my son is almost 12 and has never fired a firearm. I havent felt that he is mature enough up until this point. I even bought him a Marlin 60 for his 11th birthday and havent taken him to shoot it yet. In the coming months I will devote a lot of time with him so that he becomes familiar with a firearm. Firearm ownership is a major responsibility. I dont want him to fear a firearm but he must first respect a firearm before I let him shoot it.

**** happens and one must do everything in their power to eliminate the Oh **** factor.

I will take the same approach when it comes to driving a vehicle. he wil not get his license without me feeling he is ready to drive or his 18th birthday whichever comes first.

Everyone has different parenting skills and this is my approach to it, and I am learning as I go.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    I kind of used a different approach with my kids. They have all fired a gun pistol/rifle. they have all been practicing safety since they were toddlers becasue EVERY gun in the house is treated as its loaded. Nerf and rubber band guns included. Kids that come over to play learn that from my son real qiuck to not point guns at people. The next best thing I think for gun safety is take them out and show them what it does. They have seen first hand the damage guns can do by their own hands. Hog with his neck blown out,.22 blew a tree rats head off, etc... They seem to have learned real quick that they are an effective tool that can be enjoyed as long as your never on the wrong end.
    I still never trust them with firearms alone but when the day comes that they have to make the decision to pick one up or tell a friend not to I hope its any easy decision.
    Just some thoughts,

Formermonroehand

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Dutchtown
    I kind of used a different approach with my kids. They have all fired a gun pistol/rifle. they have all been practicing safety since they were toddlers becasue EVERY gun in the house is treated as its loaded. Nerf and rubber band guns included. Kids that come over to play learn that from my son real qiuck to not point guns at people. The next best thing I think for gun safety is take them out and show them what it does. They have seen first hand the damage guns can do by their own hands. Hog with his neck blown out,.22 blew a tree rats head off, etc... They seem to have learned real quick that they are an effective tool that can be enjoyed as long as your never on the wrong end.
    I still never trust them with firearms alone but when the day comes that they have to make the decision to pick one up or tell a friend not to I hope its any easy decision.
    Just some thoughts,

This is how I was raised from a very early age and is how I plan to raise my children.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I was never raised around guns and before I went to boot camp I think I saw one gun in real life. The first gun I shot was in boot camp when I was 21. In December, I took my 14 yo step daughter with me to my CCW class. She got to learn the rules for handling firearms, she handled the different firearms (revolvers, pistols) that they passed around and got to do a little shooting. She has also shot my 10/22 quite a bit. She shot my AR-15 a few times as well but likes the 10/22 better.
    I figure you teach them about guns then the mystery/curiosity will go away. More importantly, if she is at someone's house and they pull out dad's gun she knows what to do and where to point it.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Our two year old uses anything long and slender for a "pow pow". Every stick outside is turned into a gun. And you can't reason with a two year old very successfully. We tell him not to point his "pow pow" at people, but it's really not going to be something that sticks until he's a bit older.

For now we keep everything away from him. Once he stops pointing his imaginary guns away from people, we'll slowly begin to encourage gun education/safety. His father has let him shoot our BB gun before, or rather just pull the trigger and he got a kick out of it. So I'm looking forward to it, but it'll be a while yet. For now everything is in a gun case unless I'm alone at home overnight. My handgun comes out when he's in bed, and put away in the morning before he wakes up.

I was raised with a wooden ornamental gun cabinet with glass windows. So was my sister. I had a child sized .22 when I was in second grade and was raised with the mentality that if I touch them unsupervised, I lose my fingers. But being around my uncle and my father, we're not going to have that luxury with the boychild. He makes a beeline for the cabinet. Try toddler proofing every family's home without being a pain in the ass about it. I got alot of eye rolling.

That being said... Because of our son's fascination, I purchased a handgun last month and it's been very difficult getting practice without him around. He's faster than I am, and it'd only take one brief run during the wrong time in front of the wrong person to create an accident. I finally got to spend time with it Saturday morning. OMG, I love my little taurus revolver. I made an awesome purchase. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    I remember when I was very little my mom was single and I used to spend a lot of time at my grandfathers house. My mom obviously didn't know anything about guns, and my grandfather was a big hunter back in his time. He had guns all over the place. I was fascinated with them. He used to let me run around the house with a broken air rifle. I didn't know anything about safety or anything with guns. I was probably 5 or 6. If I knew where the real guns were, and if they were loaded, there could have been trouble. My mom remarried when I was around 7 or 8. My stepdad has a small collection of guns and he started taking me shooting with his kids when I was around 8. He taught me all of the safety rules, and everything. After being able to handle a real gun and shoot it safely, the curiosity went away. I didn't really have an urge to go play with the real guns while in the house. I had a respect for the guns, and I followed the rules because at that age I wanted to go shooting more too. As I have grown up, those very simple rules of shooting have stuck with me. I believe that it is easier to teach kids how to handle firearms at a fairly young age. In fact, I believe that the younger you get them started, the better. Obviously don't go giving a 4 year old a gun to shoot, but I believe that you can start teaching a 7 or 8 year old the basics of gun safety. Maybe start out with a BB gun or even a .22 rifle. Just make sure that when you aren't out shooting to keep the guns in a safe place away from kids.

L

Louisiana Shooter

IMHO, the term "gun accident" needs to be stricken from our vocabulary. It gives the impression that the incident was unavoidable. I like the terms "negligent discharge" and "negligent injury", because they convey the reality that accidents don't just happen.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    IMHO, the term "gun accident" needs to be stricken from our vocabulary. It gives the impression that the incident was unavoidable. I like the terms "negligent discharge" and "negligent injury", because they convey the reality that accidents don't just happen.

Changed title.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

+1

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Just some thoughts,

This is the method I'm using. He has several toy "pow pows" and he likes to store them with daddy's pow pows. He was scolded any time he pointed his toy guns at people from a very young age (he's 3 now). He's still very trigger happy and we're working on that.

Interesting note. He had a toy gun at the parades Tuesday and a few single mother democrats parked next to us with their boys (3 of them). Eventually my son started playing with them and I watched in horror as the largest one (4 or 5 yrs old) took the rubber band gun from my son, held it ghetto style (and it was a rifle), pointed it at my sons face and started yelling "put your hands up". While my son just looked very confused and said "that's not nice". We then took the children aside, pointed them towards the trees and encouraged them to take turns shooting at the birds (away from people). It didn't stick though, one of the dems bought her son a toy HK 91 and he proceeded to run around shoving it in peoples faces and pulling the trigger.

Top Bottom