New Bayou Shooter scam?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I was contacted by text about a WTS ad here from June 7-19 of 2023 by a gent claiming to be a tug boat captain from Metarie. Said he wanted the gun and we exchanged texts while he supposedly was working 14 days on the river. Said he engraved guns. Then he ghosted me. Then this week he texted about a G19 I am selling and said he wanted it - same story as before except he called in addition to the text and said he was just starting his 7 days off and would meet me the next day (Sunday) for the deal. I was to contact him after church and arrange a spot to meet. I've texted and called several times with calls going to voice mail and have received no reply. Guess I've been ghosted again. No big deal - no money or travel expense lost, I just can't figure out what the scam is since he doesn't try to get me to send the gun before payment or anything. He just disappears. I don't know if he is impulsive and changes his mind or maybe gets wasted when he gets in and forgets. Either way, a simple text telling me this would be appreciated.
    Has anyone else here had dealings with this guy? (Don't know if he's a member here or just a browser since contact is always by phone/text.)
    From now on I guess I'll insist that initial contact be by PM so I can at least see who I'm dealing with.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I don't know but perhaps was ensuring a working phone number. This digital age is frightening and I seem to get an alert weekly of a hack resulting in millions or billions of compromised records of personal identity data.
    I feel threatened by all the technology that can either keep me alive but with no quality of life or totally annihilate my financial status(which ain't significant).

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you report your ad, a box will pop up asking why you are reporting it. You can put that information, including his phone number, in the report. All the mods will see it and will look into it as best they can. It seems like you've figured out the second thing. The site suggests you start the conversation using the site's pm system. Those can be reported as well if there's an issue. Unless reported, the mods/admins cannot see any parts of the conversation they are not a part of. You said he's ghosted you twice. Do you have a suggestion as to how that would fit into a scam?

Devonian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2024
    Walker
    Seems like a typical flaky buyer to me. I don't sell on-line very often but I guarantee I get four or five people saying they definitely want something or asking if they can come and get it now, for every one who actually follows through.

In this guy's case, if you hear from him again, I'd tell him to contact you via PM so you can have a more reliable means of communication. That way you can report him if he does it again.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    If you report your ad, a box will pop up asking why you are reporting it. You can put that information, including his phone number, in the report. All the mods will see it and will look into it as best they can. It seems like you've figured out the second thing. The site suggests you start the conversation using the site's pm system. Those can be reported as well if there's an issue. Unless reported, the mods/admins cannot see any parts of the conversation they are not a part of. You said he's ghosted you twice. Do you have a suggestion as to how that would fit into a scam?
    Thanks for the good suggestion - will do.
    No, I cannot figure out if it's a scam b/c he doesn't ask for anything except to meet up for an exchange. Then he ghosts. Maybe he gets wasted on days off and forgets? Beats me.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I think the "good Captain" forgot about it after doing a "fast ball." Those types are notorious for for doing hard drugs. One of my Wife's cousins made Captain and died after doing a "fast ball" in celebration.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Sounds a lot more like an a**hole than a scam to me. I like to call people like this “garbage people.” Sounds like you have a garbage person on your hands. May as well block their number as they are likely to keep being garbage.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The user in question is a member (who was active today), based on the phone number you provided. I PM'd him a link to this thread and suggested he respond to you.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I had a open house for my rental last year. Had appointments all afternoon to show the house. After sitting in an empty house all day long, with no internet, tv, etc. My last appointment is the only one that bothered to show up. You can only read the same newspaper so many times. People are definitely flaky!!!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Real captains work their asses off and are stand up dudes .
    They don't last long as a capt If they are doing any drugs.
    My guess is he made plans and then got busy . or he ran out of money. Lol
    My Wife's cousin didn't last long. He had previously told us that he knew others in the industry that do drugs, but we had no idea he was doing that as well till he died.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    My Wife's cousin didn't last long. He had previously told us that he knew others in the industry that do drugs, but we had no idea he was doing that as well till he died.
    I have a friend that’s a captain. He told me amongst captains they come and go so often because a lot of them get hooked on some sort of upper. He swears drug use is rampant and destroys a lot of lives/ careers.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I was contacted by text about a WTS ad here from June 7-19 of 2023 by a gent claiming to be a tug boat captain from Metarie. Said he wanted the gun and we exchanged texts while he supposedly was working 14 days on the river. Said he engraved guns. Then he ghosted me. Then this week he texted about a G19 I am selling and said he wanted it - same story as before except he called in addition to the text and said he was just starting his 7 days off and would meet me the next day (Sunday) for the deal. I was to contact him after church and arrange a spot to meet. I've texted and called several times with calls going to voice mail and have received no reply. Guess I've been ghosted again. No big deal - no money or travel expense lost, I just can't figure out what the scam is since he doesn't try to get me to send the gun before payment or anything. He just disappears. I don't know if he is impulsive and changes his mind or maybe gets wasted when he gets in and forgets. Either way, a simple text telling me this would be appreciated.
    Has anyone else here had dealings with this guy? (Don't know if he's a member here or just a browser since contact is always by phone/text.)
    From now on I guess I'll insist that initial contact be by PM so I can at least see who I'm dealing with.
    I don’t think it’s a scam it seems more like an impulsive individual. I would highly recommend removing your cell phone from any adds you post and only speak to people via PM here on the site. Once you get to know someone, deal with them a few times, or feel the person is not BSing you then maybe swap phone numbers. Posting your number in an add is just a bad idea all around in my opinion.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Seems like the typical new bayoushooter member to me… have had prob a dozen interactions just like that… wanna meet tomm, send me picture of cash and poof they gone.. they called snowflakes… and they are in full force

pookiechad

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    walker,louisiana
    i dealt with this guy in question… he is military or ex military and is a captain… he showed me his engraving and it was really nice… he met me in my area and had no problem… you never know what he has going on in his life maybe something happened or he got busy with work

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    Seems like the typical new bayoushooter member to me… have had prob a dozen interactions just like that… wanna meet tomm, send me picture of cash and poof they gone.. they called snowflakes… and they are in full force
    That's unfortunate I have had nothing but goodluck here so far with members brand new or established. You do have to vet and sift threw some ******** inquiries but nothing scummy face to face eliminates that for me.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Boys search no more!!!! I found him!!! He sure is a captain!!! He was also a good runner!!!! To top it off, he is a Veteran!!! Hims loves some chocolate too!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9616.jpeg
      IMG_9616.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 14
    • IMG_9615.jpeg
      IMG_9615.jpeg
      696.3 KB · Views: 17
    • IMG_9614.jpeg
      IMG_9614.jpeg
      932.3 KB · Views: 12

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    That's unfortunate I have had nothing but goodluck here so far with members brand new or established. You do have to vet and sift threw some ******** inquiries but nothing scummy face to face eliminates that for me.
    I have also.. can’t really call it a negative review or bad reviews of people if they just ghost you and quit messaging you.. used to be the days of old if somebody said they wanted it, mark it sold it’s as good as gone.. I still do that with alot of members I deal with but as for the snowflakes I just wait them out, they will melt and disappear lol ..

Wish ol’ hkump was here he would love to talk about this… :noes: Too soon?? lol

Top Bottom