New bullet tax in Baltimore

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    What a royal idiot!!! The ONLY thing that will accomplish is to make it harder for local gun/ammo shops to make a living. Even the dumbest crack head knows someone who can purchase online for him.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Is he saying criminals use firearms they've rented @ shooting ranges?
    Are there place that let you rent and take home firearms similar to Autozone's "rent a tool"?

"Increasing the cost of guns won’t work because many criminals don’t
    purchase new guns and they can be borrowed or even rented in some areas.
    Therefore, as Mayor, Otis will move to impose a $1 per bullet tax (or about $50
    per pack). That will increase substantially the financial cost of committing a
    crime and, unlike guns, bullets cannot be shared after their initial use. This will
    also dramatically cut back on the random firings that too often happen around
    holidays and celebrations."

"If enacted, Otis’ crime agenda will lead to a 20 percent reduction in violent crime in his first term."

He talking out of his ass.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    Ach, doberman, you beat me to the chris rock joke. Seriously, this law is so filled with stupidity I'm surprised my brain didn't melt when I read it.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Is he saying criminals use firearms they've rented @ shooting ranges?
    Are there place that let you rent and take home firearms similar to Autozone's "rent a tool"?
    He means that studies have shown the vast majority of "crime guns" are obtained via friends and family and in some cases criminals will loan or rent out guns for use in crimes. A Google search finds several reports of such gun rental operations.
    For example- http://www.nicaso.com/pages/doc_page243.html
    Antonio Nicaso, a Greater Toronto Area organized crime expert, said local criminals have almost no difficulty obtaining guns.

"It's very easy to get a gun, regardless of whether you're a member of a criminal organization or not," said Nicaso, who has written several books on organized crime.

He said some established criminals in Toronto rent guns to lesser criminals for crimes.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-64067.html
    A Missouri State study of people in State prison showed that they got their guns from the following sources:

Retail store.........13.9%
    Pawnshop.............3.8%
    Flea Market............1.0%
    Gun show.................7%
    Friends or family...39.6%
    Street/illegal.........39.2%

A similar national Federal study showed that criminals got their guns from the following sources:

Family/illegal................80%
    Flea market/gun show...2%
    Gun shop/retail............12%

SNIP
    They say that guns are loaned and given quite freely, with no more concern that the loan of a cup of flour or a couple of dollars.
    The fact that someone wants to borrow a gun to use in a dispute is seen by the 'hood as sound strategy.

Guns that are used in shootings are routinely passed around in families or neighborhoods.

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Interesting that we win in every category except arson. Any ideas why the drop in crime last year? Could it have something to do with more chp holders? Also, that is just the percentage of change, what is the actual rate?

And the rest of the country looks at us like WE'RE doing it backwards???:rofl:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Five or twelve or seventeen dollars' worth of tax to fill a cylinder or magazine in order to kill someone is still pretty damn cheap, even for relatively poor criminals IMO.

Hell, if I knew that each round I bought was going to have some defensive or offensive role instead of just fun at the range, I'd be thrilled only paying $1/round tax.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Interesting that we win in every category except arson. Any ideas why the drop in crime last year? Could it have something to do with more chp holders? Also, that is just the percentage of change, what is the actual rate?

If you dig around on the FBI site, you can find some numbers. The link below shows numbers from 2009 and 2010 for major cities in all states. Can kinda get an idea of the numbers change there.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...preliminary-annual-ucr-jan-dec-2010/downloads

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    So I guess by default, it makes the ammo stashes people have built up that much more valuable?

If that happened around here, there'd be a lot of suddenly wealthy BS members. :eek3: Of course... our legislation would laugh that type of proposal right out of the room.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom