New DSA SA58 is disappointing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cptnapalm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    A bit over a month ago, I bought a new DSA SA58 Congo from Jim's Firearms. It was only today that I finally got to shoot it.

Loads of failures to feed. Numerous occasions of the bolt stopping a bit before fully chambered. Not a few failures to extract. It turns out that there is a gap between the top cover and the receiver; DSA's own top covers don't fit their own rifles. The bolt even got stuck once.

I'm sure that DSA will fix everything. Everyone who has had problems with their rifles says that they will fix it until it works perfectly. Considering how much these rifles cost, however, you'd think that they'd make sure they worked out of the box, each and every time.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    What ammo where you shooting in it? Find some good surplus South African, Port, Radway Green, or new manufactured winchester 762 147 gr ball.

Did you adjust the gas system? ON new fals, I like to close the gas system to its highest setting then shoot 5 rds, then move it down a notch, shoot 5 rds, and repeat until I get a stoppage. Then I click it back up two positions.

When it was not closing the bolt fully, was it on a live round or on an unejected empty? Fals without enough gas will not eject the case, shrot stroke, and actually re chamber the fired case which will stick in the chamber and require a "pogo stick" movement to get it out.

Also, take the bolt and carrier out of the reciever and take the top cover off. spray them with Break Free and let sit 24hrs, then wipe them off with a clean rag. Go shoot. This often helps the break in period.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I agree that for that kind of money for a gun it should be a out of the box shooter. Hickup during break in now and then I'd understand but not that kinda stuff.

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    I was finally able to shoot my DSA this weekend for the first time. Acquired it in a trade last fall.... Had similar issues while setting in the gas valve: stuck bolt, failed to eject brass, failed to feed, bolt did not seat forward. After about 15 rounds I dialed it in and it fired flawlessly. A hell of alot of fun to shoot....

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    A bit over a month ago, I bought a new DSA SA58 Congo from Jim's Firearms. It was only today that I finally got to shoot it.

Loads of failures to feed. Numerous occasions of the bolt stopping a bit before fully chambered. Not a few failures to extract. It turns out that there is a gap between the top cover and the receiver; DSA's own top covers don't fit their own rifles. The bolt even got stuck once.

I'm sure that DSA will fix everything. Everyone who has had problems with their rifles says that they will fix it until it works perfectly. Considering how much these rifles cost, however, you'd think that they'd make sure they worked out of the box, each and every time.

Nothing like a guy buying a gun, going to the range and then calling the system a failure with probably less than 100 rounds....without even bothering to research the break-in period. I am sure that was in the manual.

INSTRUCTIONS.......

following-instructions-for-dummies.png

Sorry dude.....

poor-cow-you-fail.jpg

;)

Seriously, how many rounds did you fire yesterday? What rounds? It could also be the ammo.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    It seems as though cptnapalm DID NOT receive the sympathy that he was hoping to find here and has abandoned his thread.
    His OP is unfortunately common amongst new comers to the FAL rifles. It is ashamed that such a simple rifle is so often turned into an over complicated piece of machinery! It's just not that complicated people. This is why so many countries adopted it as their primary battle rifle......... powerful, simplicity, durability, functionality, accuracy and reliability!

KT

Top Bottom