New fees affect Honey Island range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Looks like the new fees that went into effect on June 1 require a permit for accessing the Honey Island shooting range, and any other ranges on a Louisiana WMA or Refuge. https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/page/wmarefugeconservation-area-licenses-and-permits

If you:You must have a/an:Fees and notes:
    Participate in any activity on a WMA, refuge, or conservation area (unless otherwise specified)Self-Clearing PermitFree. A Self-Clearing Permit is required for ALL ACTIVITIES on WMAs, refuges, and conservation areas. The permit consists of two portions: check-in and check-out.
    • All persons must obtain a Self-Clearing Permit from a Self-Clearing Permit Station or check in/out electronically through the Check-In/Check-Out app (Apple or Google Play) or web portal.
    • If checking in through a Self-Clearing Permit Station, the check-in portion must be completed and put in a permit box before each day’s activity on the day of the activity. Users may check in one day in advance of use.
    • The check-out portion must be carried by each person while on the property and must be completed and put in a permit box immediately upon exiting the property.
    • On WMAs, Self-Clearing Permits are not required of fishermen and boaters who enter a WMA via watercraft from outside the property, provided they do not get out of the watercraft and onto the property.
    • Self-Clearing Permits are not required for motorists traveling through the property provided that the most direct route is taken and no activities or stops take place.
    Use any LDWF-administered land, including WMAs, refuges, and conservation areas, for any activityWMA Access Permit
    • Annual permit: $20 for both residents and nonresidents; 5-day permit: $5 for both residents and nonresidents, must be 5 consecutive days.
    • Individuals age 17 and under are not required to purchase a WMA Access Permit.
    • WMA Access Permits are included with the Louisiana Sportsman’s Paradise License, Senior Hunting/Fishing License, and Lifetime Licenses.

Beginning June 1, 2022, visitors must have a WMA Access Permit, Senior Hunting/Fishing License, Louisiana Sportsman's Paradise License, or a Lifetime Hunting/Fishing License to visit an LDWF WMA, Refuge, or Conservation Area, including Shooting Ranges, for any reason—boating, hiking, bird watching, berry picking, fishing, hunting, shooting, etc. The WMA Access Permit only covers access onto the property—it does NOT convey hunting or fishing privileges. Beginning July 1, 2022, all visitors must also comply with self-clearing permit guidelines.
    Beginning July 1, 2022, all visitors must comply with self-clearing permit guidelines.

Last edited:

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    I agree.
    I was pondering that range yesterday as I have (in .277") some Barnes TTSX 95 gr., Berger Classic Hunter 130 gr., Lehigh Controlled Chaos 127 gr., and Woodleigh Weldcore 150 gr., that I need to start developing loads for as they're the new-to-me component bullets in my stock.

Since I've had the Douglas (#4 contour) barrel cut down from 26" to 22", developing loads for my long-standing bullets is surely in the works, too.

Barnes TTSX 110 gr. and Norma Oryx 150 gr. are my Bread 'N Butter, and the only two I really need, but you know how Handloaders are. LOL

It's already a pretty good drive for me to hit that range but an increase in fees just for range use is cause enough to revert back to my other option.
    My other option is quiet and on private land anyway.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I agree.
    I was pondering that range yesterday as I have (in .277") some Barnes TTSX 95 gr., Berger Classic Hunter 130 gr., Lehigh Controlled Chaos 127 gr., and Woodleigh Weldcore 150 gr., that I need to start developing loads for as they're the new-to-me component bullets in my stock.

Since I've had the Douglas (#4 contour) barrel cut down from 26" to 22", developing loads for my long-standing bullets is surely in the works, too.

Barnes TTSX 110 gr. and Norma Oryx 150 gr. are my Bread 'N Butter, and the only two I really need, but you know how Handloaders are. LOL

It's already a pretty good drive for me to hit that range but an increase in fees just for range use is cause enough to revert back to my other option.
    My other option is quiet and on private land anyway.
    I'm jelly. Private land access.... Epitome of bad ass

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    I've never been to the Honey Island range, although I've considered going there for years. With that said, correct me if I'm wrong: Years ago, wasn't it required to at least have a LA hunting or fishing license to enter? Also, I seem to recall that the Self-clearing permit was always a requirement to enter any WMA.

jtj5002

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Lacombe
    I was just there Sunday. I didn't know this and did not have a permit and the check in guy just told me to make sure to keep my little ticket thing with it's date on it if anyone bothers you on the way out.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Why should any resident have to pay a fee to access any WMA that we the taxpayers have paid for.
    I don't know.
    Why should any resident pay a fee to enjoy a Constitutionally protected right to carry a firearm concealed on their person that Patriots have shed blood for.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I don't know.
    Why should any resident pay a fee to enjoy a Constitutionally protected right to carry a firearm concealed on their person that Patriots have shed blood for.
    That question had nothing to do about carrying ..

This is about paying to access public land that you and I ( taxpayers ) have already paid for

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I've never been to the Honey Island range, although I've considered going there for years. With that said, correct me if I'm wrong: Years ago, wasn't it required to at least have a LA hunting or fishing license to enter? Also, I seem to recall that the Self-clearing permit was always a requirement to enter any WMA.
    You are correct. If you had a hunting or fishing license, you were good to go. Or you could have the Wild Louisiana stamp that cost $2/day or $9/year. If you were going straight to the shooting range and straight back to the highway when you were done, you were not required to complete the self-clearing permit. If you went off the main road or did anything else (even sight seeing) you were required to fill out the self-clearing permit. The little deli ticket they would give you when checking into the range was to prove that you visited the range if you were stopped.

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    I'm jelly. Private land access.... Epitome of bad ass
    Ma' Tanks Bou'Cou :D

It definitely is nice.
    Once the heat subsides and the paper target stops moving I'll be burning some of my copious amounts of powder and primers.

With everything I put into my loads, if I can quickly find a load that prints about 1/2" at 100, I stop there unless I intend to stretch out passed 200, which likely won't happen anytime soon.

As I've gotten older and more Wise, I've gotten a bit more practical for most Southern hunting.

I had my .270 Win. barrel cut down to 22" from 26". Took the Monarch 4-16x50mm scope off and replaced it with a Leupold 1.5-4x28mm Scout scope.

If I lived where long/longer hunting shots (and/or lots of LR target shooting) were SOP I would've left all that in place but in most of Louisiana the vast majority of shots on game are well-inside of 150, with many 50-75 yds.

That 26" barrel in the woods is a bonafide PITA more often than not.

That now-22" heavy sporter Douglas "Air-Gauge" is much handier and while I trust my current loads to be plenty hunting-accurate, I use two types of shots on deer and hogs and the more precise I can be the more ethical I am.

1 - "high shoulder" shot, severs the spine. Drop like a rock.
    2 - Neck shot, severs the spine. Drop like a rock.
    I need to be precise to reliably do that.

These shots deal with dense bone so I am a hardcore fan of monolithic and premium bonded bullets.
    TTSX, Oryx, Weldcore.

The Berger 130 gr. Classic Hunters and the Lehigh 127 gr. Controlled Chaos are the exception to my high-weight-retention rule.
    The Lehigh CC is somewhat of a hybrid, however.

Last edited:

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    youtu.be/m0WKvXEvpxU

8745319c805bdae0843a3b907cdfc1cc.jpg

High Shoulder Shot

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members