New fees affect Honey Island range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    I want an animal to drop where they stand so it doesn't run off into a thicket.
    A wild animal in thick brush, possibly still alive, injured, possibly with other animals, where I can't see well, is a recipe for serious injury in the field.

Safety first.

Track nothing.

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    I'll be a little more thorough to put things into perspective and maybe encourage thought that may be overlooked with others, to promote safety in the field as We're dealing with wild animals that know no law. They only know survival.

I do not run dogs and I hunt alone. All I have is myself, my abilities, my firearms, and my knife.

My .270 Winchester, built from a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker is my main companion. I tote a Glock 21 and a full-size KA-BAR to protect myself if I find myself in an "altercation" with an animal.

I went with a Leupold Scout scope because Scout scopes are used with both eyes open which greatly increases Situational Awareness, a must with hogs, especially when you're on the ground and not up in a stand.

I'm not opposed to a headshot on a hog but headshots on deer are taking a risk because deer move their heads very quickly, and often, unless they're looking at you.

My desire for precision out of my loads and my rifle is the foundation of everything that I do.
    If you've ever looked through an optic in hot weather you know what I mean when I say "and the paper target stops moving".
    The way heat bends or refracts light will literally show you a trembling/waving target. For effective load development you can not deal with that heat/light detriment. This is load development, not hunting.

Protect yourself and others in the field. Know what's beyond your target. Be an ETHICAL Hunter and a Good Steward to Our Planet. Never leave your trash in the field; take it with you.

If you ever find yourself bored while in field, spend some time appreciating the Serenity of Nature, the Peace, and the fact you're fortunate-enough to be there...no drama, no politics, no noise.

#Ghillie

Last edited:

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    I've never been to the Honey Island range, although I've considered going there for years. With that said, correct me if I'm wrong: Years ago, wasn't it required to at least have a LA hunting or fishing license to enter? Also, I seem to recall that the Self-clearing permit was always a requirement to enter any WMA.
    Up until this new rule, it was a requirement to have a hunting or fishing license. Several years ago, a rule for ONLY Honey Island was put in place that if you are accessing the WMA to go to the range only, you don't need to fill out a clearing permit at the front gate. We have a ticket system at the range check in desk that replaces needing to fill out the clearing permit.

Come on out and see us. We'd be happy to see you out there.
    Honey Island Shooting Range

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    I was just there Sunday. I didn't know this and did not have a permit and the check in guy just told me to make sure to keep my little ticket thing with it's date on it if anyone bothers you on the way out.
    The ticket we give out is a different aspect than the new WMA Access Permit. The new rule dictates that you have to have the access permit AND fill out a self clearing permit at the gate or on their app. However, at Honey Island ONLY, the ticket we give out replaces having to fill out the self clearing permit at the front gate or on the app.

jtj5002

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Lacombe
    The ticket we give out is a different aspect than the new WMA Access Permit. The new rule dictates that you have to have the access permit AND fill out a self clearing permit at the gate or on their app. However, at Honey Island ONLY, the ticket we give out replaces having to fill out the self clearing permit at the front gate or on the app.
    So we just need the permit and don't have to check in at the gate, correct?

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    As long as you're only going directly to the range and back out when you leave, yes. We provide a "deli-style, take-a-number" ticket that acts as the self clearing permit when you sign the log book at the range check in desk.

If you intend to stop or go down any other road in the WMA you must fill out a self clearing permit at the front gate or on the app.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    As long as you're only going directly to the range and back out when you leave, yes. We provide a "deli-style, take-a-number" ticket that acts as the self clearing permit when you sign the log book at the range check in desk.

If you intend to stop or go down any other road in the WMA you must fill out a self clearing permit at the front gate or on the app.
    So am I to understand.
    If I take my wife, son, and myself I need to.
    Buy three $20.00 WMA access fee.

Buy three cane pole licences or what ever is the lowest priced one's are now.
    And pay the low cost range fee?
    Get a ticket that exempts me from the self clearance in and out.

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    So am I to understand.
    If I take my wife, son, and myself I need to.
    Buy three $20.00 WMA access fee.

Buy three cane pole licences or what ever is the lowest priced one's are now.
    And pay the low cost range fee?
    Get a ticket that exempts me from the self clearance in and out.
    You no longer need a hunting or fishing license as long as you're not hunting or fishing. If you're just coming to the range and back out, all you need is the WMA Access Permit.

Yes, you will need a permit for EACH PERSON THAT IS 18 OR OLDER. If your son is 17 or younger, no permit or license is needed.

Also, if you already have one of these licenses, you don't need the new WMA Access Permit - Louisiana Sportsman’s Paradise License, Senior Hunting/Fishing License, and Lifetime Licenses.

I know this is all confusing and cumbersome and more importantly, costly. Unfortunately as the operators of Honey Island Shooting Range, our organization has no control over the new rules, licenses and fees that the LDW&F impose and trust me, it took many of us multiple conversations to figure out the new rules and what was or wasn't needed. We, as range officers, need to abide by all of the new regulations as well whenever we go to the range as a shooter and not as a Range Officer.

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Also, as a reminder... Honey Island Shooting Range is ONLY $6.00 to get in and you can stay ALLLL day if you wanted to. Hell, you can even come in the morning, go run to Slidell for lunch then come back out in the afternoon if you wanted, still all for just $6.00 a day!

Show me another range in this state where you can spend $26.00 (WMA Permit Fee + Range Gate Fee) and stay for more than an hour that offers the same or better amenities than Honey Island. Indoor ranges are $20/hour or more these days! And that $26 is only for your first visit. The remaining visits for a year are only $6.

I know I work there, but it's hard to argue with that pricing... Unless you have access to private land.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom