New Law on Pistol Attachments.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Quite an interesting development on the ATF "free braced pistol" stamp. A guy just posted on Reddit he got 3 approved yesterday by the ATF. Link attached below. Note "approved with conditions". And none of the 3 approved actually received a tax stamp.

So the guy got approved, but no stamps issued. Note he also submitted full pics of each weapon with initial applications. Pics with brace, model #, and SN.

His post on reddit

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Quite an interesting development on the ATF "free braced pistol" stamp. A guy just posted on Reddit he got 3 approved yesterday by the ATF. Link attached below. Note "approved with conditions". And none of the 3 approved actually received a tax stamp.

So the guy got approved, but no stamps issued. Note he also submitted full pics of each weapon with initial applications. Pics with brace, model #, and SN.

His post on reddit

Probably because he didn’t pay for a stamp so it’s just approved so he can make an SBR. It’s basically waiving the tax but still requires approval. I hope mine gets an approval soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Could be BC he didn't actually pay for a stamp, the $200 fee was waived. Seems like a nice registration tactic to me, jmo.

I think you are correct.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Probably because he didn’t pay for a stamp so it’s just approved so he can make an SBR. It’s basically waiving the tax but still requires approval. I hope mine gets an approval soon.
    So why "approved with conditions"? What are your thoughts on that? I mean he submitted everything first pass, a pic of entire weapon/brace, SN, and all of his personal info.

I have 6 NFA/ATF approvals to date, and not a one was approved "conditional".

edit: Are they requiring a set of fingerprints with your app for the braced pistol submission? Either digital or paper? I haven't heard anybody talking about prints.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So why "approved with conditions"? What are your thoughts on that? I mean he submitted everything first pass, a pic of entire weapon/brace, SN, and all of his personal info.

I have 6 NFA/ATF approvals to date, and not a one was approved "conditional".

edit: Are they requiring a set of fingerprints with your app for the braced pistol submission? Either digital or paper? I haven't heard anybody talking about prints.

It is exactly like the regular Form 1 so yes it requires fingerprints. I went back and read the thing on Reddit and it appears there were no conditions unless I read it wrong. It just doesn’t have a stamp because it’s waived, the approval part is all that matters.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It is exactly like the regular Form 1 so yes it requires fingerprints. I went back and read the thing on Reddit and it appears there were no conditions unless I read it wrong. It just doesn’t have a stamp because it’s waived, the approval part is all that matters.

I've got a couple of "stamps" without stamps. I lost one in a move and they just mailed me a copy of the approval. Another got lost in the mail and they again just sent a copy of that approval. Interestingly, that stamp showed up in the mail a few weeks after the copy arrived. I suspect it may not have been mailed right after it was approved.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If I were to form1 my corvette, pay my $200 tax, would I then be able to drive in excess of the speed limit without penalty? we all know any vehicle capable of exceeding 100MPH has to be a race car and should only be driven on race tracks by qualified trained drivers. $200 tax and maybe our kids can have prayer in school too.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I hope mine gets an approval soon.

I'll bet at least 7 people on here got triggered by your statement.

And to be honest, I've got a couple lowers I've been toying with making sbr's. I can't think of a good reason, and I haven't heard a good reason, why I shouldn't take advantage of this opportunity to do for free what I was thinking about paying $400 for.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The ATF does not have authority to create Federal law. -- Matt Gaetz
    Not that I am a fan of it one bit, but to be accurate, the ATF did not create this new "braced pistol final rule". The AG/DOJ has. ATF is application and enforcement. Shows just how smart Matt Gaetz is.

A couple guys here have repeated the same thing recently.

Last edited:

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    He is smart enough to say it on the floor of Congress, so there is that.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not that I am a fan of it one bit, but to be accurate, the ATF did not create this new "braced pistol final rule". The AG/DOJ has. ATF is application and enforcement. Shows just how smart Matt Gaetz is.

A couple guys here have repeated the same thing recently.
    Unless the AG or DOJ has the authority to create federal law, it seems the correction may be a distinction without a difference.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Is anyone speculating big with pistols? I see many for sale here on the forums, and some retailers are starting to discount them.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    due to how the new 4473 is formatted i dont think they can be transferred right now with the brace... most company's are removing brace and selling the pistols.. and they sell the brace separate.. they can sell the brace separate but cannot include it in original purchase or ship with pistol....

i dont see more than normal for sell on here

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So I guess you too think it's the ATF's "final rule"?
    I think it doesn't matter if it's the ATF's final rule or the AG's final rule or the DOJ's final rule. The AG falls under the executive branch. The DOJ falls under the executive branch. The ATF falls under the DOJ and, therefore, falls under the executive branch. The point I'm making is, for the purpose of creating new laws, it doesn't matter which of those entities "owns" the final rule. None of them are authorized to create laws.

Someone said the rule is bad because entity #1 is not allowed to make laws. You pointed out that entity #2 actually owns the rule. Well, for the purposes of making new laws, there is no difference between the authorization of entity #1 and entity #2 to make new laws. You make a distinction that made no real difference. I'm not arguing if you are right or wrong. I'm arguing that, for the purpose of creating new laws, it does not matter if you are right or wrong.

Top Bottom