New Law on Pistol Attachments.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    ok so we were talking at work and one of the guys said that if you register one as an SBR they are not allowed to be put in a trust? That doesn’t make sense.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    ok so we were talking at work and one of the guys said that if you register one as an SBR they are not allowed to be put in a trust? That doesn’t make sense.
    That is true unless you had the said pistol on your trust as a nfa item prior to the date… which 99.99999% is not done, no need to add a pistol to a nfa trust when it’s not a nfa item lol

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As someone said, you must register it with the owner at the time the rule took effect. If it was not already in a trust, it must be registered as an individual. You can transfer it from the individual to a trust but it will require a $200 tax for that transfer. I believe the ATF requires something notarized stating the weapon was part of the trust. The date of that notarized letter should be prior to the rule taking effect.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I think that’s an option after you register the pistol as a SBR…for free….. say, ya know what that kinda sounds like? I think that kinda sounds like a LOOPHOLE.
    Oh I understand kinda lol. I never liked the whole brace thing but I understood why people bought them. However for me the problem isn’t the $200.00 stamp, it’s the waiting forever. Heck if they offered a $600.00 overnight stamp I’d have loads of NFA stuff lol.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh I understand kinda lol. I never liked the whole brace thing but I understood why people bought them. However for me the problem isn’t the $200.00 stamp, it’s the waiting forever. Heck if they offered a $600.00 overnight stamp I’d have loads of NFA stuff lol.
    Lol! Something tells me you would not EVEN be alone.

Tom Shaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Idaho
    From the justice department, link below.

The ATF has ruled the brace is not a stock. It appears they still believe that. This rule sounds like a long winded version of "you can't shoulder a brace" without them actually saying you can't shoulder a brace because they already backtracked on braces then backtracked on the backtrack and they would look silly if they backtracked on the backtrack of the backtrack on braces.

Braces are fine. Braces on pistols are still allowed.

If someone is worried, the fix is to take the brace off and put it in the safe next to the pistol. Tis rule skips anything about how to tell when a brace goes from stabilizing a pistol to a brace converting a pistol into a rifle.

Trying to comply but it can be very expensive. I would rather spend $200 on a new barrel. Hopefully this ruling will be deemed unconstitutional.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have a trust with my cans in it, but it pisses me off that they decided to flip flop again because creepy Uncle Joe demanded it. I am still holding out for a federal court to throw it out as unconstitutional. What firearm pieces/part is next to be banned on the whim of a politician?

If we ended up having to register them it will be on day 119. I could care less about the $200.

The better thing I suspect, for myself, would be to just register them (if we end up having to) for $200 each like a regular SBR and put them directly in my trust.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    For a Form 1 the time isnt as bad. I got one back in like 43 days. The time for a Form 4 is 270 days on average. Big time diff between Form 1 and Form 4

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    For a Form 1 the time isnt as bad. I got one back in like 43 days. The time for a Form 4 is 270 days on average. Big time diff between Form 1 and Form 4
    Wow I never realized that. Is there a reason it’s that way or just their crazy BS?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    This is a ruling, not a law. The ATF does not have the authority to create laws. They can only enforce what is on the books. This ruling will get caught up in litigation, like the bump stock did.
    I don’t have a braced pistol, so I don’t have a horse in this race. Just think before you give out info that you may not want to.

Top Bottom