New Orleans Area: Beginner Training Needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parsifal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    I'm in the New Orleans area and looking for handgun safety instruction geared toward absolute beginners.

Tips and leads on people you know to be good will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm in the New Orleans area and looking for handgun safety instruction geared toward absolute beginners.

Thank you.

If you are willing to travel, FRC in Baton Rouge is well worth the trip. The offer training for new shooters that won’t have them jumping in the deep end.

As for the immediate New Orleans area, I’m unaware of any training specific to new shooters.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    If you are willing to travel, FRC in Baton Rouge is well worth the trip. The offer training for new shooters that won’t have them jumping in the deep end.

As for the immediate New Orleans area, I’m unaware of any training specific to new shooters.

I have no personal experience with FRC but I have heard and read good comments about them.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ditto. I think there's a few shops scattered around New Orleans, but I've no firsthand experience of their training, nor have I heard from enough people to have any opinion.

FRC is a well-run range with good trainers.

Mike

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Another vote for FRC. I'm also in New Orleans and I've driven up there for several classes, both small group and private. They're definitely the best within arm's reach and absolutely worth the gas money. Most of the local ranges just smash out concealed carry classes without offering regular training of much substance.

https://www.frcbr.com/training-classes

The First Time Shooter class would be fantastic, as would the NRA Pistol Basics.

It also looks like they're doing a free 2-hour New Gun Owner workshop every MWF, which is brand new and pretty friggin cool of them to do.

A good introductory program that'll give you a steep but safe learning curve would be something like the First Time Shooter class (4 hrs), then a 2-hour private lesson, then maybe something like the Draw Clinic (2 hrs) spaced a few weeks apart each, with about 20-30 minutes of dry fire training every day at home in between if you can make the time. The in-between time enables you to practice what you've learned and figure out what you want to learn next. Taking classes costs a few more bucks, but your progression will be much faster than taking the youtube-and-experiment route... good training is a phenomenal investment.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Another vote for FRC. I'm also in New Orleans and I've driven up there for several classes, both small group and private. They're definitely the best within arm's reach and absolutely worth the gas money. Most of the local ranges just smash out concealed carry classes without offering regular training of much substance.

https://www.frcbr.com/training-classes

The First Time Shooter class would be fantastic, as would the NRA Pistol Basics.

It also looks like they're doing a free 2-hour New Gun Owner workshop every MWF, which is brand new and pretty friggin cool of them to do.

A good introductory program that'll give you a steep but safe learning curve would be something like the First Time Shooter class (4 hrs), then a 2-hour private lesson, then maybe something like the Draw Clinic (2 hrs) spaced a few weeks apart each, with about 20-30 minutes of dry fire training every day at home in between if you can make the time. The in-between time enables you to practice what you've learned and figure out what you want to learn next. Taking classes costs a few more bucks, but your progression will be much faster than taking the youtube-and-experiment route... good training is a phenomenal investment.

That's actually really awesome for them to be offering a free class for new shooters. I've heard good things about their classes geared towards kids as well.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Check with Phobos Solutions. They are in Metairie and cater to specific shooter types, from never touched a gun to advanced entry tactics. They really put on some good classes or personalized instruction.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Anybody know about the classes at St. Bernard indoor shooting range?

Thats what I was going to suggest. Contact the range.

If you're willing to pay for a class I'd strongly suggest one of the concealed weapons courses, even if you don't plan on carrying now. It will cover all of the legalities of having to use a firearm in self defense. Well worth the money.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    If I may respectfully disagree with the above post, I would skip anything St Bernard Indoor has to offer. I'm a member and I shoot there once a week, but just because it's a decent range doesn't make it a decent school. I know this because I've asked repeatedly for private instruction time and been brushed off by several staff including the owner. Any training beyond the CHP found there would be an afterthought, not part of the core business model. They offer competitive lane rental and FFL fees and a nice building, but that's about it.

FRC is the way to go for quality.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Save the CHP qual for people wanting to acquire a CHP.

The CHP qual is not a course for those new to firearms.

Really, did you read what he wrote, looking for handgun safety instruction geared toward absolute beginner seems a course that also teaches the laws is exactly what a new firearms owner needs even if they don't get a CHP.
    The one Mark teaches covers both, many of his students don't yet own a gun.

Most who have been around guns all their lives consider the CHP class just an inconvenience and boring.

Seems these subjects are a no brainer for a new gun owner.

Handgun Nomenclature and Safe Handling Procedures
    Ammunition Knowledge and the Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting
    Child Access Prevention and Home Storage
    Firearm Cleaning and Maintenance
    Use of Deadly Force and Conflict Resolution
    Actual Live Fire Qualification at the Range

Last edited:

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    The CHP course is certainly good for the mindset of being a shooter and an introduction to some of the basic premises of law. It is the bare minimum for a state qualification purposes, and should be considered simply the first few steps of the legal learning curve. Required reading for any new shooter should be Ayoob's Deadly Force, Branca's The Law of Self Defense, and de Becker's The Gift of Fear. Would it hurt to take the class? Of course not. But I wouldn't put it in the category of essential introductory training.

The CHP class has nothing whatsoever to do with learning how to shoot, and that's a very dangerous misconception, quite literally.

Last edited:

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Absolutely go for the New Shooter class. The instructor can give you a recommendation on a next course after meeting you, working with you and hearing your interests.

Regarding reading, I can also suggest reading Ayoob’s “In the Gravest Extreme”. It’s not a long book but it’s full of actual experiences and legal issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirVive

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2020
    Bush, LA
    Beginner gun handling training

Thank you.

I recommend Gunsmart Nola, Mark Shreve, CPP. He is a very good trainer and very respectful of new shooters. gunsmartnola.com

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    While you wait to decide where and who you want to use for your "hands on" training; why not go to the various NRA websites, and other "gun friendly" orgs. that offer basic safety rules online.

https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/

These below NEVER go out of fashion!

The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:
    1_safe-direction.png

[h=4]ALWAYS Keep The Gun Pointed In A Safe Direction[/h]
    This is the primary rule of gun safety. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2_off-trigger.png

[h=4]ALWAYS Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Ready To Shoot[/h]
    When holding a gun, rest your finger alongside the frame and outside the trigger guard. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3_unloaded.png

[h=4]ALWAYS Keep The Gun Unloaded Until Ready To Use[/h]
    If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

[h=2]When using or storing a gun, always follow these additional NRA rules:[/h]

Know your target and what is beyond.

Know how to use the gun safely.

Be sure the gun is safe to operate.

Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.

Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.

Never use alcohol, over-the-counter drugs or prescription drugs before or while shooting.

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine

Thank you.

NRA instructor here. You cant go wrong with NRA online beginner courses. I have been teaching Pistol since 2008 being former military with experience operating in nasty and hostile places the fundamental safety and handling is critically important even for those with lots of experience. I have taught RSO/RO to duty professionals who needed the refreshers and no doubt learned a lot of new ways to be mindful of gun safety. But person to person instruction is needed IMO once you memorize the fundamentals to go beyond the basics.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom