New Orleans City Council passes unsecured guns ordinance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    What say you? WWL The ordinance Please keep NOLA bashing in a separate thread - At least they are making some attempt to slow the crime and child deathrates...

I'm not against parents responsibly securing their firearms from their children, but it feels like borderline infringement. Hasn't SCOTUS already said (in Heller/McDonald) that there is an unfettered right to keep guns at home for self-defense (if you aren't a felon, abuser, or mentally-ill)? Have any "unsecured" state laws been modified or changed as a result of the rulings? I think CAP (Child Access Prevention) laws have been continuously challenged on constitutionality and lost, but I haven't heard of anything recent. Giffords

Separately, it seems that the punishment for this only leaves unsupervised children on the streets (if they ever were supervised) or puts more children in "the system." If we are going to have this, is the next step charging the unsupervisory parents with any crime committed with their unsecured firearm?

Some comparisons, but may be outdated:
    -34 states have some form of laws designed to prevent children from accessing firearms, including laws imposing crimimal liability when a child gains access to a firearm as a result of negligant firearm storage, laws preventing people from providing firearms to minors, and laws requiring safe storage of all firearms in the state Source

-14 states have “negligent storage law,” which can make gun-owning parents criminally liable for crimes committed with their firearms by their children: Texas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia

-Massachusetts is the only state that mandates that all guns be stored with a lock

-In California, Connecticut and New York, a firearm must be kept locked up if its owner lives with someone who is not allowed by law to possess a gun, like a felon or domestic abuser

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    My thoughts remain the same. All gun laws are an infringement. They do absolutely nothing to curb crime whatsoever and only burden law abiding citizens like the majority of members here. They should focus on locking up violent criminals and not letting them walk for pennies on the dollar just a couple days after committing a violent felony.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    We once took my step-son's Playstation away, but he snooped while we were out of the house and found it and hid it in his room. We discovered this and I locked it in the gun safe. He snooped even further until he found the extra key, and once again regained his Playstation. On discovering this, it was put in my sea bag with a combination lock, no key to find, right? He was ballsy enough to just cut the sea bag open. I ended up putting it in the trunk of the car so it left with me every day.

My point is that a law like this, like most laws, can't account for all circumstances, and ultimately is just there to make someone feel like they've done something to punish someone after an incident rather than actually preventing anything.

LSUpete2023

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Baton Rouge
    We once took my step-son's Playstation away, but he snooped while we were out of the house and found it and hid it in his room. We discovered this and I locked it in the gun safe. He snooped even further until he found the extra key, and once again regained his Playstation. On discovering this, it was put in my sea bag with a combination lock, no key to find, right? He was ballsy enough to just cut the sea bag open. I ended up putting it in the trunk of the car so it left with me every day.

My point is that a law like this, like most laws, can't account for all circumstances, and ultimately is just there to make someone feel like they've done something to punish someone after an incident rather than actually preventing anything.
    He destroyed your property and you honored the "sanctity" of his. Sounds like you should have "cut" his playstation open with a hammer in front of him.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    How many children in NO. has been lost to “unsecured guns” in the past 10 years? I would like to see if it’s more than drownings, bicycle, choking deaths…etc. Tragic yes but most homes have many items that are accessible to children that cause death but I don’t see public outcry to fill in a pool every time a child is lost due to drowning. We can’t legislate common sense and accountability into people that are incapable of the most basic functions of a productive citizen in a free society. Birth control will save more children’s lives in major city’s than any law that restricts the rights of law abiding citizens. It’s tragic that these idiot’s exist but we can’t continue to punish the innocent.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I keep hearing child, at what age do they stop being a Child. 13, 17, 19 or 21. I was 9 and my job was to “Go Get the Gun” I didn’t shot anybody. Safety training in schools is a must.
    So they don’t lockup burglars, carjackers & armed robbers but 6 months & $500 for a grieving parent sounds about right. It’s not going to happen. This is a “We did Something About It Law” that will solve nothing.

Freek589

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 15, 2019
    Denham springs
    My thoughts remain the same. All gun laws are an infringement. They do absolutely nothing to curb crime whatsoever and only burden law abiding citizens like the majority of members here. They should focus on locking up violent criminals and not letting them walk for pennies on the dollar just a couple days after committing a violent felony.
    Shout it from the rooftop. Want to charge someone for not locking up a firearm but drop charges against illegal possession.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Challenge it. It’s not constitutional, and the agents of the courts who pass liability are not in good standing with the law let alone the constitution. I support storing guns in a safe location, but this is up to the citizen not the government. These tyrants are cinching the noose and it will not be tolerated!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    How long will they assume passing laws protect anyone or prevent crimes? I don’t know a law on the books that keeps watch and jumps in to intervene when a crime is about to be committed.
    I was just a boy when my dad took me in his room and pointed out the guns that he kept at the ready. I found out later that he and my mother each had firearms hid out in the house. We had an extra dining chair in our kitchen that sat in the same corner for years and I never knew why. I was in college when I found out. One morning my mom was at the kitchen window, I was having breakfast, when she noticed a coyote circling the chicken pen. She moved the chair near the counter and stood on it to produce a browning 20ga laid on top of the cabinet. “ Go shoot that coyote” was all I got as she shoved it at me. So off I went out the back door, mouthful of biscuit and all. Saw the yote, pushed the safety and it went bang when I pulled the trigger. Got him and a chicken to boot. My point is, responsible parents can get it done. We don’t need more laws to govern us. Kind of like all the warning labels. We’d prolly have been gleaned of all those deficient people by now if we’d have let nature take its course. Nobody believes in natural selection anymore? Are they not still teaching all that Darwin crap in the schools? Oh wait…..

Top Bottom