New to forum need knife advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Looking to carry a knife everyday, small one 3" blade. What is legal regarding carry in the pocket or a clip with regard to length and the "thumb opener" knives I see. Looking at a Gerber paraframe or similar to carry around, but don't want to run afoul of the law.
    thanks,
    GM:)

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I guess some will argue that it can be restricted under RS 14:95

§95. Illegal carrying of weapons

A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:

(1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person; or

(2) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used as a dangerous weapon, at any time by an enemy alien; or

(3) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any tools, or dynamite, or nitroglycerine, or explosives, or other instrumentality customarily used by thieves or burglars at any time by any person with the intent to commit a crime; or

(4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.

The last part restricts automatic knives

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon

and that's very vague, you could easily get charged for carrying a knife under that, with the right officer/lawyer/judge...

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The knives called semi-auto or "assisted opening" are perfectly legal, size in your pocket legally I *think* is 4", anything more than 3.5" is really too big anyway.

BTW, Gerber knives; are made in China. Yeah. Some good ones are Benchmade, Buck, Kershaw, CRKT. Boker is German but a really well made knife. I have 4 Kershaw assisted knives and every one is an EXCELLENT piece of workmanship. Oreo carry's a Benchmade daily. Oh and be sure to be careful cutting the cheese if you get one of those coated Benchmades. You can bout cut yer thumb off! :rofl: If you order online, I highly recommend http://www.knifeworks.com They are a Louisiana company up in the North side of the state.

I also have bought from a guy named Roy From Erwinville. Oreo bought from him as well. He has lots of very good knives from all those names and more including fully auto models. He goes to all the gun shows but will meet you if you call him.

Oh, I also have one Taylor made "Smith and Wesson" knife. The opening is very swift and solid, at first. They are aosl no made in China though and after carrying it a while it has become less solid and a little loose. It's also very heavy compare to all my Kershaw knives.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjb0LUe9HE[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom