New to Reloading but having some problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I reload 308 and 7.62X51 NATO AND L2A2. L2A2 is a British equivalent to NATO. I separate the .308 from the rest. I only shoot the NATO and L2A2 in my M1A. I shoot the .308 in my 700 Police. In this case the military brass holds around 1 grain less powder.

.223 case holds 28.8 grains and 556 holds 28.5. I would separate that also if I reloaded for my AR. I do not know if this might be part of your problem, but I would take into consideration the differences.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    This has been a very interesting and informative post. I want to throw some questions in here to affirm what I know (or don't know). If the headspace is of you can trim the neck all you want and still not be able to chamber the round? The headspace is the more important of the measurements? Could the chamber in shifter268 gun be a bit undersized? would a chamber reamer remedy that situation if it is the chamber? As I was reading it seemed there was a lot of trimming but not so much checking headspace.

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    This has been a very interesting and informative post. I want to throw some questions in here to affirm what I know (or don't know). If the headspace is of you can trim the neck all you want and still not be able to chamber the round? The headspace is the more important of the measurements? Could the chamber in shifter268 gun be a bit undersized? would a chamber reamer remedy that situation if it is the chamber? As I was reading it seemed there was a lot of trimming but not so much checking headspace.
    they are both equally important measurements. i don't believe it is undersized because it did not fit in my headspace gauges, however, the RCBS small base die someone here suggested did the trick I loaded about 30 rounds and they went perfect through all my friend's rifles. i would definitely not suggest reaming the chamber. if it runs other rounds fine but not reloads then it's the brass, not the gun. headspace wasn't the issue it was the base of the brass expanding too much seemingly because it was run through a mil-spec which tends to be looser tolerance meaning the brass expanded more.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Tikka T3x in 223 that I have to use an RCBS small base die to craft ammunition for it or the bolt will not close. I can use regular dies for any modern sporting rifles I use.

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    The title states it but I am basically brand new to reloading sticking to manuals and everything. I am having trouble with 223 reloads. Every round I resize does not go to proper measurements. I bought the lee brass headspace gauge and it is sticking over the maximum by a very small amount but still over and I don't want to take any chances. I have tried moving the die up and down as that is the only adjustment I can do. I am using a lee reloader with lee dies. I cut the brass to 1.75 and I chamfer and deburr them. I reloaded 308 and 30-06 both worked flawlessly and shot just fine but 223 won't even chamber. I will say one brass did get stuck in the die and I have to unscrew the top and use the de primer to remove it as it says to do in the instructions. I took the firing pin out of the BCG to test chambering and the bolt locks but won't unlock. Is the die messed up or am I missing something unique to 223? I have tried looking this up online and on other forums but it's all just how to reload and I'm doing the same steps.
    Size brass first, then trim.
    PM for any questions and I can help.
    Bulldog...

Bmw69ss

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    covington
    I briefed the comments and I’m sure someone said to invest in a shoulder bump gauge. I usually bump back about 5 thousands on a gas gun. I agree with a small base die. Use brass fired from the gun to reload before you use mixed range brass. You don’t know what kind of chamber that range brass has been shot out of.
    I’ve had problems with trying to reload the brass I was using for a old barrel on a new barrel I had put on. The new barrel chamber was tighter so I used a small base die to squeeze the web of the brass down. I was able to use about half of the brass after I ran it through the small base die two times. I just bought new brass. I always say a new barrel gets new brass.

Top Bottom