New to Reloading but having some problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shifter268

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    The title states it but I am basically brand new to reloading sticking to manuals and everything. I am having trouble with 223 reloads. Every round I resize does not go to proper measurements. I bought the lee brass headspace gauge and it is sticking over the maximum by a very small amount but still over and I don't want to take any chances. I have tried moving the die up and down as that is the only adjustment I can do. I am using a lee reloader with lee dies. I cut the brass to 1.75 and I chamfer and deburr them. I reloaded 308 and 30-06 both worked flawlessly and shot just fine but 223 won't even chamber. I will say one brass did get stuck in the die and I have to unscrew the top and use the de primer to remove it as it says to do in the instructions. I took the firing pin out of the BCG to test chambering and the bolt locks but won't unlock. Is the die messed up or am I missing something unique to 223? I have tried looking this up online and on other forums but it's all just how to reload and I'm doing the same steps.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    please provide more info: what firearm are you attempting to use and what type of brass new or used?
    are you using a headspace gauge for .223 to check headspace and over all length?
    if you are using brass cycled in full auto or semi auto - the make sure you have a full length sizing die. if it was 556 brass you may need to use small base die
    i keep my bolt gun brass seperate from semi-auto brass.

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    please provide more info: what firearm are you attempting to use and what type of brass new or used?
    are you using a headspace gauge for .223 to check headspace and over all length?
    if you are using brass cycled in full auto or semi auto - the make sure you have a full length sizing die. if it was 556 brass you may need to use small base die
    i keep my bolt gun brass seperate from semi-auto brass.
    I am attempting to use it in mostly ar 15 styles all semi-auto. I am using a headspace gauge the lee one. it is range brass mixed headstamp. i am using a full length sizing die.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    after you size the brass does it pass the headspace gauge? does it fully seat into the gauge? also are you using

Dial Caliper/Case Length Gauge​

to verify the length?

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I have a new set of RCBS dies in my tool box you're welcome to for a very reasonable price! never had any issues with them!

Are you camming die over slightly on the sizing process?

What lube are you using as well?

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Iteresting. I am having similar issues reloading 6.5 grendel. Full Length Die. The round will chamber and fire but if I try to unload it is stuck in the chamber and will not eject.

I am starting to suspect some dies are much tighter than others or factory ammo. I am using Redding Dies. Also I had someone tell me that reloading for semi autos is much harder than other types of weapons. So far this seems to be true for me but 6.5 grendel is the only semi auto round I have ever attempted reloading.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Iteresting. I am having similar issues reloading 6.5 grendel. Full Length Die. The round will chamber and fire but if I try to unload it is stuck in the chamber and will not eject.

I am starting to suspect some dies are much tighter than others or factory ammo. I am using Redding Dies. Also I had someone tell me that reloading for semi autos is much harder than other types of weapons. So far this seems to be true for me but 6.5 grendel is the only semi auto round I have ever attempted reloading.
    I may have went overboard. But have to many of these. You can see 100% what's going on.

Attachments

• 20220512_135116.jpg
      20220512_135116.jpg
      406.4 KB · Views: 129
    • 20220512_135044.jpg
      20220512_135044.jpg
      691.8 KB · Views: 133
    • 20220512_135913.jpg
      20220512_135913.jpg
      281.8 KB · Views: 120

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    after you size the brass does it pass the headspace gauge? does it fully seat into the gauge? also are you using

Dial Caliper/Case Length Gauge​

to verify the length?
    it does not pass the headspace gauge that is the issue. it is over maximum spec by a very small amount. the rounds will chamber and lock but the bolt does not unlock. i am using calipers and i trim all the brass to 1.75in

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    I have a new set of RCBS dies in my tool box you're welcome to for a very reasonable price! never had any issues with them!

Are you camming die over slightly on the sizing process?

What lube are you using as well?
    will rcbs dies work with all lee equipment?
    Please reprase that question I am confused about it.
    I am using Hornady one-shot lube with a dry powdered neck lube.

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie

Semi-autos deform the headspace and brass more than a bolt gun as they are made to a lower tolerance for the bolt to work well. So it is more than likely a headspace or length issue. but as this is a thread about me having issues take that with a grain of salt.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Gretna
    Exactly what twinin said. And for ar15 reloading mixed range brass i almost guarantee you'll need a small base die. Moreso if the ar you're trying to fire them in has a tighter spec chamber

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    Exactly what twinin said. And for ar15 reloading mixed range brass i almost guarantee you'll need a small base die. Moreso if the ar you're trying to fire them in has a tighter spec chamber
    there are different sizing dies? two came in my kit one for mixed headspace one for my gun only headspace. i didn't know there were more

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    from RCBS:
    The Small Base Sizer Die is for bottleneck type cases used in tight-chambering semi-automatic, pump or lever-action firearms. The sizer resizes cases below SAAMI minimums, reducing the shoulder and body by a few thousandths. It also de-primes the case. Note: Not recommended for ammunition used in bolt-action rifles.
    it will work in a Lee press. you may want to start with batch of your own brass vs range pickups. shot 100 rounds of quality .223 from the same lot and size those to see if that
    Academy shows winchester 556 in stock. that brass should do you well for this for $129.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    from RCBS:
    The Small Base Sizer Die is for bottleneck type cases used in tight-chambering semi-automatic, pump or lever-action firearms. The sizer resizes cases below SAAMI minimums, reducing the shoulder and body by a few thousandths. It also de-primes the case. Note: Not recommended for ammunition used in bolt-action rifles.
    it will work in a Lee press. you may want to start with batch of your own brass vs range pickups. shot 100 rounds of quality .223 from the same lot and size those to see if that
    Academy shows winchester 556 in stock. that brass should do you well for this for $129.
    Interesting. Now if could only find something like for 6.5 grendel.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Ordered. Thanks. I had no idea this was a thing. Guess I just as soon get the 308 version too because I was just about to reload for that as well. I had no idea this was a thing. Not sure why anyone would sell normal dies for 6.5 grendel as it was invented for the AR platform.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    This stuff is much easier to explain in person. I'd call Brain at LA Gun in Baton Rouge and see when their next class is. Brain is great at pistol calibers, but Lanny is a damn near a wizard with rifle loading.

Top Bottom