New Year's Eve Eve Cooking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Stormy, rainy day here today and I'm doing a little "pre" New Year's Day cooking. Started with a nice dark roux......

Then cooked down the seasoning and browned the sausage a little.....

Then everything went into the pot. I had to switch to a bigger pot because I was at the rim and still had more homemade chicken stock to add.

Just need to let it all simmer for a while and that'll be done. Gumbo is always better a day or two later after it's made and this should be a good one.

I'll be doing some triple chocolate cookies later and Turtle brownies after that.

Then I'll take a break until tomorrow to do some more cooking and baking.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Boy you know it. My roux never looks that dark. Not even close, mine a dark peanut butter color.
    I did a roux that dark a few months ago. It was definitely interesting, but I probably will go back to dark peanut butter. It was just a little too dark for our tastes.

1672425369963.png

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Yeah, it's a dark roux alright but, it came out great! Just flour, butter and time. I guess you could add cast iron to the mix too. I have a special cast iron pot I only use for making roux. I got in the zone and couldn't even tell you how long it took to make this one. It would be a perfect roux for a duck and andouille gumbo.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Looks fairly similar to my cast iron. Best way to make a roux.

tashle1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Pointe coupee
    Yeah, it's a dark roux alright but, it came out great! Just flour, butter and time. I guess you could add cast iron to the mix too. I have a special cast iron pot I only use for making roux. I got in the zone and couldn't even tell you how long it took to make this one. It would be a perfect roux for a duck and andouille gumbo.
    For ducks and geese I don’t believe you can make a roux too dark. For most domesticated meat I’ll go peanut butterish, but wild game is almost always dark.

Top Bottom