Nick's Shooting Range In Garyville

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    Went to Nick's shooting range today, not a bad range. You can only shoot 100 yards but steel is OK as is rapid fire as long as it's aimed. :)

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm usually shooting my rifles at Nick's. For any serious pistol practice I'll go to the Southern Shooting Center in Thibadeaux. They have 12 pistol bays and usually you can have one to your self. This way I can setup practical shooting drills which include movement, plus you can walk down range whenever you want.

http://www.southernshootingcenter.com/

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    Did I mention that Nick's has a practical shooting match every thursday evening with the same match repeated most sunday mornings. On the second sunday of each month there is an IPSC match at Nicks.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I go to Nicks to shoot my rifles . I was just there this week siting in a Cetme
    like this one..

I have it shooting 1" groups at 100 yards.
    1.jpg

Also sighted my AR scope there as well..

I have been to the pistol matches a few times.. Fun stuff..

glockthirtysix

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    We shoot there every other Wednesday and find that weather would be the only problem. 100 yards is a fair distance and since we primarily shoot handguns and M4's, so the distance is more than adequate. As long as you sweep your brass and honor all range rules, Nick's is a great place to shoot. Also, there's steel plate's set up for anyone who wants to "ring the steel".

Also, as Cowboy put it, rapid fire is NOT frowned upon.....

glockthirtysix

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    Crowded only on the weekends, but if you go on the weekend, try to go either early or closer to closing time. Lately (due to weather) it's been fairly clear and the last 2 trips, we had the range to ourselves. Otherwise, if you can get there during the week between noon & 4pm, it's usually very open....

Cost: (I'm a member) is $5 to shoot per visit (I paid $45 for a year).

The only other issue we have is that since it rains frequently, the range itself gets to be somewhat of a quagmire, so I'd bring or wear shoes that you don't care too much about. They have metal stands and wooden framed targets already there and all you need is your own paper targets to staple or tape to them. We usually buy ammo at Wally world, so I really can't say too much about cost for ammo.

All in all, a range is usually just a range and some are better/worse than others. I've shot at a number of them and Nick's is one of the better ones out there (not to mention I live less than 10 minutes away).....

My advice, check it out and if you follow the rules (i.e. hot/cold, weapon safety, etc) you may like it....

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Thanks Glock.
    I want to take my kids to safe ranges, Where idiots aren't tolerated. Safety is foremost.
    I went to Southern Shooting Center in Thibodeaux, that was first class. It was raining so bad it was hard to see targets clearly. But we had the place to ourselves. What a luxury. Shoes still got wet, but the brass cooled right off when submerged. I guess the main problem with outdoor ranges is that they are outdoors!!
    Nick's sounds good.
    Later
    RDO

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Don't forget about all thee matches Nick's has. Thursday night 6PM and Sunday mornings at 8:30am. Great matches to learn how to shoot accurately and learn the basics. All the shooters there are very helpful. Plus, you can win money and prizes. Godd all around match.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Thanks for the info.
    I know a lot of guys into guns - most find 1 range & stick to it. I want to know my options.

toddrod - I bought a car form Vacherie @ Cazenave

I'm gonna try to make some of the shoots sometime.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Just a couple things I like about Nick's place:

1. Nick is always there and can fix a gun if it breaks on you.
    2. He has almost any shooting supply you may need and rents chrono, rest, spooting glass.
    3. He has plenty of targets.
    4. Rapids is allowed if you are a safe shooter.
    5. Has someone running the shooting line, safety first.
    6. The competition matches.
    7. Is a fun place to go even if you just want to talk guns because there are competition shooters, colllectors, LEOs that you can talk to and most of the shooters will let you try out their guns if you ask nicely.
    8. Variable levels of memberships depending on how much you shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom