NOPD: Burglar shot by home's resident after alarm goes off

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    +1 for the good guys

by WWLTV.com

Posted on February 6, 2010 at 4:20 AM

NEW ORLEANS – A man attempting to burglarize a home was shot and killed by someone living there after an alarm company notified the residents that a motion detector had gone off in their garage, according to the NOPD.

Spokesman Janssen Valencia said officers responding to the scene in the 600 block of Independence found that the suspect had been shot several times.

The incident occurred right around midnight. According to Valencia, a motion detector went off when the suspect was in the garage and the alarm company called the people living in the home to alert them. One of the residents then grabbed a gun and went to check on the area and shot the suspect. No charges have been filed, but the NOPD is continuing its investigation.

That's what I call gun control:D

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    if this happened more, people may think twice about burglarizing peoples crap. On the other hand, as the person who has to check all those house alarms that go off, your average joe creeping around in the dark with a gun and no training scares the crap out of me when I'm walking around their house checking their doors and windows.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I remember when they enacted the Castle Laws in Florida. They had an ex burglar on the radio. He was saying he quit robbing houses because those white people are crazy. Anymore they are more willing to shoot you. He said that before the new laws they didn't care if people pulled a gun. Generally they knew that they could get away because the victims were law abiding folks and weren't going shoot. They were too afraid of getting in trouble.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I remember when they enacted the Castle Laws in Florida. They had an ex burglar on the radio. He was saying he quit robbing houses because those white people are crazy. Anymore they are more willing to shoot you. He said that before the new laws they didn't care if people pulled a gun. Generally they knew that they could get away because the victims were law abiding folks and weren't going shoot. They were too afraid of getting in trouble.

Fear of death or being shot is definitely a deterrent.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Update:
    Bywater homeowner kills alleged intruder, a man who lived three blocks away

A Bywater homeowner fatally shot an apparent burglar who tripped an alarm in his garage late Friday, authorities said.

Rene J. Alcebo, 36, fired a shotgun blast at Jason Miller, 31, inside Alcebo's detached garage in the 600 block of Independence Street, said John Gagliano, chief investigator for the New Orleans coroner's office.

The men lived three blocks apart.

New Orleans Police Department spokesman Janssen Valencia said investigators did not book Alcebo with a crime, but an investigation involving the district attorney's office is ongoing.

Miller did not have a weapon when he died, but he did carry "burglary tools" such as a screwdriver and a pair of cutting pliers in his pockets, Gagliano said.

Alcebo received a phone call from his home-security company about 11:50 p.m. informing him that a sensor in the garage had registered motion, a preliminary police report stated. Alcebo picked up a shotgun and went to check. Meanwhile, emergency operators dispatched police officers to investigate the burglary alarm, Valencia said.

Alcebo entered the garage and saw the intruder. He fired the shotgun, striking Miller in the body.

Alcebo then called 911, and paramedics pronounced Miller dead when they arrived, Valencia said.

Friday was not the first time Miller, who lived in the 700 block of Alvar Street, was accused of burglary. Police booked him with counts of simple burglary and simple criminal damage under $500 after a June 2006 incident, according to New Orleans Criminal District Court records. But Miller never stood trial. He was released from jail under Article 701 of the Louisiana Criminal Code, which says a defendant must be freed after 60 days if prosecutors don't file charges.

Answering a knock on his door Saturday afternoon, Alcebo said, "This is a bad time for us. There's a lot of unclear stuff right now. We're trying to figure it all out." He said he was glad his family was not hurt and declined to comment any further.

Alcebo purchased his home in 2001 and launched a renovation project, highlighted in a pair of 2002 Times-Picayune stories, that significantly increased its value.

Three blocks away, teary-eyed men, women and children streamed into Miller's home Saturday to visit his mother.

Frankie Miller, Jason Miller's 34-year-old sister, said her brother left two children ages 13 and 11.

He passed his days hooking up car stereos and television sound systems for friends and acquaintances, Frankie Miller said. He taught her 10-year-old boy how to play football and helped her 17-year-old daughter with her singing, she added.

Sade Miller, Frankie Miller's daughter, said, "It is shocking news. One minute, he was alive and breathing. The next minute, (a friend) called and said he was dead."
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/02/bywater_homeowner_kills_allege.html

:)

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Dude wasn't armed. Homeowner shouldn't have shot him.

I hope your joking. What you don't think people aren't killed with screwdrivers? Please, I remember reading about an individual in florida a couple of years ago who pulled over to help a couple who looked like they had a flat and was stabbed to death with a screwdriver.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-152156/Screwdriver-murder-father--guilty.html

A criminal is willing to do things we are not. I think the homeowner was justified. I hope he can live with his decision.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I hope your joking. What you don't think people aren't killed with screwdrivers? Please, I remember reading about an individual in florida a couple of years ago who pulled over to help a couple who looked like they had a flat and was stabbed to death with a screwdriver.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-152156/Screwdriver-murder-father--guilty.html

A criminal is willing to do things we are not. I think the homeowner was justified. I hope he can live with his decision.

The article states it was in his pocket... Do you think he stowed it on the way down?

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    The article states it was in his pocket... Do you think he stowed it on the way down?

Yah I guess pulling something from ones pocket and stabbing an individual while committing a crime does seem like a bit of a stretch. Your right a criminal in the midst of a crime will definitely comply and act rationally. :rolleyes:

Please tell me you're joking. You don't know the situation. Just because the individual didn't have an uzi in hand with an upside down cross tattooed on his forehead doesn't mean he wasn't ready to fight his way out of that garage.

If the guy was on his knees complying begging for his life I am sure the non-criminal in the situation, the homeowner and real victim, would have not shot the guy. For some reason I find that highly unlikely.

Lets not forget what caused this incident to occur not the actions of a man defending his life and property but the actions of a career criminal who could have very well made this into a different story with a lot worse of an ending.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Oh my god...Rene is a very good friend of mine. I've sold a couple of his guns on here for him on BS. Damn...I even found that shotgun (FN SLP) for him. :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

This is crazy, I'm sure I'll be hearing from his soon. He's a really good dude who just wants to keep his wife and daughter safe. Glad the story didn't end differently.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Yah I guess pulling something from ones pocket and stabbing an individual while committing a crime does seem like a bit of a stretch. Your right a criminal in the midst of a crime will definitely comply and act rationally. :rolleyes:
    It's about whether or not the guy a threat when he shot him?
    Lets not forget what caused this incident to occur not the actions of a man defending his life and property but the actions of a career criminal who could have very well made this into a different story with a lot worse of an ending.
    But was the homeowner's resolution to the situtation justified?

:)

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Oh my god...Rene is a very good friend of mine. I've sold a couple of his guns on here for him on BS. Damn...I even found that shotgun (FN SLP) for him. :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

This is crazy, I'm sure I'll be hearing from his soon. He's a really good dude who just wants to keep his wife and daughter safe. Glad the story didn't end differently.

Get him on here, STAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom