Normandy vs Okinawa

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I saw this at the WWII museum in New Orleans but I did not have time to ask anyone there about it. I had always thought Normandy was larger.

DSCF0053.JPG

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I'm a little surprised to hear that too, but Okinawa is a big place - not like Tarawa. The Americans knew the Japanese would fight fanatically to save this part of their homeland.

In Normandy, the German army had already been bled white by the time the Americans arrived. Even Steven Ambrose admitted that the American invaders were facing 2nd line troops mostly from eastern Europe. The fight at Normandy turned out to be pretty awful, but it wasn't anywhere close to the worst fighting the US has faced.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    And notice that the numbers of Operation Olympic- just ONE PART of the conventional invasion of Japan that never happened (Thank God)- would have dwarfed them both...:eek3:

The Pacific War was always looked at as a "secondary objective" (there was an official "defeat Germany first" policy), but that meant dog$hit to the men actually facing the Japanese. They didn't have to be told just how powerful the Japanese military was.....

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Slaughter of American GI's. But, in WW2 it was absolutely necessary to fight to keep America safe.

Now, we need to get all our troops outa the Iraq and Afghanistan slaughter as it is not the right place to be. It's all political. Instead of ground forces, utilize air assets and just bomb areas where the U.S. haters are. Also, bomb the places wherever they may be that the Taliban and Terrorists are constantly getting their weapons from. Let no one feel safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom