Northshore cycling?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    New to the area.

Any decent road routes around the Mandeville/Covington/Slidell area? Same question for mountain biking trails.
    Any of yall ride and have room in your group for one more?

TIA

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    There are a number of groups that ride the Northshore. This Sunday there is a 50 Mile "training ride" for the MS tour. There is not much mountain biking on the North Shore but our club has been approached to assist the Bogue Chitto State Park with building a trail in the park. You can follow our mountain bike club page on Facebook. Just search for NOMAMBO. We are on the South Shore but do a lot of day trips to area trails. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    Appreciate it guys. Ive ridden the trace. Smooth but boring. Ive been grabbing my Garmin 401 and heading out either north from Cov or west from Madisonville mostly and trying not to get lost. I prefer actual road, as its not as mindless as dedicated bike trails. Cant tune out and go, since you have to be aware of your surroundings.

Lets Ride, PM coming your way. I dont Facebook or any of that. This is about as social as I get.

Appreciate it yall.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My wife and I rode the trace for the first time a few weeks ago, it was fun and as a beginner she enjoyed not having to constantly worry about being run over. It also helped that there are some nice pubs nearby...

I've ridden the Spillway MTB trail and really enjoyed it, is challenging but beginner friendly. It's as intense as you want it to be, just go faster!

Last edited:

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    she enjoyed not having to constantly worry about being run over.

lol, yeah, there is that. Ive already noticed that some of the locals arent overfond of dudes in lycra and skinny tires sharing the road. Based on my experiences thus far, their ire is proportional to the size of their truck... A kind gentleman in a (seriously badass) lifted F250 FX4 in LaCombe on Sunday morning informed me of his opinions on my sexual preferences and where I should put my bike as he drove past and swerved at me. :dogkeke:

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    Appreciate it guys. Ive ridden the trace. Smooth but boring. Ive been grabbing my Garmin 401 and heading out either north from Cov or west from Madisonville mostly and trying not to get lost. I prefer actual road, as its not as mindless as dedicated bike trails. Cant tune out and go, since you have to be aware of your surroundings.

Lets Ride, PM coming your way. I dont Facebook or any of that. This is about as social as I get.

Appreciate it yall.

I've always wondered why cyclists would want to risk their lives to ride on the highway when we have miles of dedicated bike trails for them to ride on safely. I guess overcoming boredom is worth your life.

I cannot tell you the times I've rounded a corner or hill north of Covington, only to find 20-30 bikes all across the lanes of traffic. They ride 2,3, or 4 abreast and you sometimes don't see them until you have to react suddenly. That scares me, and then pisses me off. A driver that is surprised enough may take evasive action and hurt themselves, and/or someone on a bike is gonna get run over and killed one day.

Most are respectful of traffic, but some are just butt-heads and are asking to get shoved of the highway. They expect you to make room for them, or slow to 8 mph until you can get into the other lane to pass.

Did you notice I said "highway", as in HIGH SPEED ROADWAY. I didn't think you were allowed to operate a vehicle on a highway when you cannot attain highway speeds. If you are allowed to, then why can I not ride my ATV on the highway? It's safer and faster than bicycles.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I would like to see those who know how to ride bikes safely in traffic strongly encourage those with them to stay in one line, against the shoulder, and not put others lives in danger.

Rant over.

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    I'll take these in order...

I've always wondered why cyclists would want to risk their lives to ride on the highway when we have miles of dedicated bike trails for them to ride on safely. I guess overcoming boredom is worth your life.

Yes. Same reason Harleys and skydiving are fun.

I cannot tell you the times I've rounded a corner or hill north of Covington, only to find 20-30 bikes all across the lanes of traffic. They ride 2,3, or 4 abreast and you sometimes don't see them until you have to react suddenly. That scares me, and then pisses me off. A driver that is surprised enough may take evasive action and hurt themselves, and/or someone on a bike is gonna get run over and killed one day.

Groups that ride like this are pure sh*t and they make the responsible cyclists angry. The only time you should have two riding abreast on a roadway is when the lead of the paceline is peeling to the back to get some rest. No other time.

And, cyclists die. Regularly. Even in places with wide roads, bike lanes and communities that are completely supportive of cycling. It happens. There is a bumper sticker to that effect.

Most are respectful of traffic, but some are just butt-heads and are asking to get shoved of the highway. They expect you to make room for them, or slow to 8 mph until you can get into the other lane to pass.

While I agreed with just about everything you posted, I have to take exception here. No one, regardless of vehicle type, is "asking" to get shoved off the road, no more so than a girl in a short skirt is asking to get raped. (Not a great analogy, but the only one I can think of after too little coffee using the term "asking to.")

There are plenty of a-holes riding around on 4 - 18 wheels too, and we tolerate them. Generally speaking, most lanes of traffic are wide enough to accommodate both a bike and a passenger vehicle. And, in general, room doesnt need to be made. Problem is, your average jackwagon in a Camry thinks his vehicle is as wide as a tank and freaks when he sees the cyclist. And, no, I dont get a case of the ass when someone stays in the same lane and passes me. Most cyclists dont. It's part of it.

I would like to see those who know how to ride bikes safely in traffic strongly encourage those with them to stay in one line, against the shoulder, and not put others lives in danger.

^^^^THIS^^^^ This is exactly what needs to happen. Problem is, your average cyclist, just like your average person, is a betamalebitch who is too uncomfortable to call someone out (even politely) when they are doing something stupid.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    lol, yeah, there is that. Ive already noticed that some of the locals arent overfond of dudes in lycra and skinny tires sharing the road. Based on my experiences thus far, their ire is proportional to the size of their truck... A kind gentleman in a (seriously badass) lifted F250 FX4 in LaCombe on Sunday morning informed me of his opinions on my sexual preferences and where I should put my bike as he drove past and swerved at me. :dogkeke:

Yeah, that sounds like LaCombe.:zombie: Only reason I head there is for "La Provence".

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    Problem is, your average cyclist, just like your average person, is a betamalebitch who is too uncomfortable to call someone out (even politely) when they are doing something stupid.

Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings; "the world went to sh$t when stupid quit being fatal."

No one, regardless of vehicle type, is "asking" to get shoved off the road, no more so than a girl in a short skirt is asking to get raped.

Not really a good analogy. When a bike rider swerves out to slow a vehicle about to pass, they have "asked" for a response from said vehicle. There is no excuse for that behavior.

When they do that, I don't have a problem with a driver stopping said idiot and getting in their face.... or if necessary, dragging them off their bike and introducing them to the ditch. A good asswhoopin' may just do more than a citation or fine. Might be illegal, but it is what is needed. If I were on a jury, there is no way I would vote to convict someone for that.

Last edited:

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    When they do that, I don't have a problem with a driver stopping said idiot and getting in their face.... or if necessary, dragging them off their bike and introducing them to the ditch. A good asswhoopin' may just do more than a citation or fine. Might be illegal, but it is what is needed. If I were on a jury, there is no way I would vote to convict someone for that.

I really do think that part of society's problems stem from the simple fact that the average a-hole is secure in the knowledge that the chances are slim that someone will call him out on whatever stupidity he is engaging in -and the chances of someone smacking him back inline is practically nonexistent. It enables them to keep acting like idiots.

I knew we could find some common ground :D

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I really do think that part of society's problems stem from the simple fact that the average a-hole is secure in the knowledge that the chances are slim that someone will call him out on whatever stupidity he is engaging in -and the chances of someone smacking him back inline is practically nonexistent. It enables them to keep acting like idiots.

:D

Kinda says the same thing, right?

"the world went to sh$t when stupid quit being fatal."

America is the land of opportunity; the opportunity to succeed, and the opportunity to fail. Liberalism has negated that. We are, unfortunately stuck with this. For now.

Point being.....cyclists, if you are going to ride on the roadways, ride correctly or don't. Your choice, your consequences. The bike riders that are idiots will likely get weeded out by the idiots driving and texting or by putting on make-up or.......

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    New to the area.

Any decent road routes around the Mandeville/Covington/Slidell area? Same question for mountain biking trails.
    Any of yall ride and have room in your group for one more?

TIA

There is pretty nice looking trail that crosses over Sharp Rd in Mandeville. I don't know anything about it other than I have driven over it a few times. As for biking trails, if you are interested in Mt Biking in Baton Rouge or the surrounding areas on the weekends, hit me up! I ride the Comite / Hooper trails almost every weekend (LSU Gameday will definitely mess this up, but I will try) and am always looking to add more people to our group.

Top Bottom