Obamacare / ACA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So I saw this on Facebook earlier tonight and it really got me thinking about how everything is about to change in this country.

Has anyone else encountered this? Been put in a similar situation?

ScreenShot2013-11-04at105833PM_zps99a41547.png

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    So I saw this on Facebook earlier tonight and it really got me thinking about how everything is about to change in this country.

Has anyone else encountered this? Been put in a similar situation?

ScreenShot2013-11-04at105833PM_zps99a41547.png

Not that specifically. But reimbursements to health care professionals (Medicare/VA) have been cut. To survive health care will have to change. You will see a PA/NP not the doctor. Physical therapy paid by visit only not by treatments performed will be limited. Health care profesionals feel the pressure already.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We don't have enough doctors as is. PA's don't go through nearly as much training as a real doctor, and they don't do a residency from what I understand. There aren't enough of them either. Now, due to limits on what doctors can charge we're going to see doctors retiring early and fewer becoming doctors since the financial incentive isn't going to be there.

In short, our medical care will be just like socialized medicine... get ready to wait.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    We don't have enough doctors as is. PA's don't go through nearly as much training as a real doctor, and they don't do a residency from what I understand. There aren't enough of them either. Now, due to limits on what doctors can charge we're going to see doctors retiring early and fewer becoming doctors since the financial incentive isn't going to be there.

In short, our medical care will be just like socialized medicine... get ready to wait.

If you have $$$ you won't have to wait.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Are those who have lived on Medicare their whole lives getting dumped into Obamacare or does that remain a separate entity?

Basically, Is this just a way to subsidize welfare so there is more free cash to "spread around"?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Are those who have lived on Medicare their whole lives getting dumped into Obamacare or does that remain a separate entity?

Basically, Is this just a way to subsidize welfare so there is more free cash to "spread around"?

People pay into Medicare their working lives and receive it when they retire. I think you are talking about Medicaid. The Obamacare plan is for insurance companies to be unable to turn anyone down for insurance no matter how poor their health and have younger/healthier people make up the difference. They also plan to subsidize lower income persons.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I don't know about the rest of you all, But I have had enough with the Fed's and our politician's.

I'm considering selling everything that is a non-moveable and go full blow nomad, Liquid as I can be and throw my I- tracking cowbell device's in the Bayou.

Never file or pay taxes to the Feds again.

The way I see it the Fed's can make all the law's and taxes they want in one hand ...and whip it with the other hand ! Lol.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    The entire design wont work... so talking about what the law may do/does/or doesn't do isn't really what we all need to prepare for. It is designed to fail simple as that. They want single payer, and will get it... if the next series of elections play out to the lefts advantage, we will see it within 2-3years.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I've been thinking of changing my career now and I'm pretty sure by the end of the week I will I was almost finished with all my pre reqs to apply to nursing school.

Now I'm looking at becoming an operator for a chemical plant. lol times are changing...

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I've been thinking of changing my career now and I'm pretty sure by the end of the week I will I was almost finished with all my pre reqs to apply to nursing school.

Now I'm looking at becoming an operator for a chemical plant. lol times are changing...

Don't give up. If you're serious, think about Nurse Practitioner. My Nurse daughter went back in her spare time (a lot of it...!) for some extra years and just graduated (again) in May. The outlook for NPs is pretty good. They will catch the overflow and can do most anything a doctor can. She can prescribe meds (except controlled/narcotic stuff) and do most other things while getting a doctor's OK when needed. She's got an office, a LPN assistant and works for Ochsner Westbank making a LOT more $$$ to start than I would have ever imagined. Made those 4 years worthwhile, IMO.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yep. One of my best friends is in the process of taking the courses needed to become a Physicians Assistant. She's going to do well in that field.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I don't know what's true and false anymore. How do we find hard facts on this HC Law?

Kaiser family foundation is a good resource. It is probably at the borderline edge of "too technical" as far as consumer friendly goes, but it's complicated stuff and I think distilling it down too much more than they do makes it almost unhelpful via omission. I'm sure there are some decent more basic resources out there though

Last edited:

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    The entire design wont work... so talking about what the law may do/does/or doesn't do isn't really what we all need to prepare for. It is designed to fail simple as that. They want single payer, and will get it... if the next series of elections play out to the lefts advantage, we will see it within 2-3years.

The design works to expand coverage, but it doesn't make a lot of headway in cost control. I agree we're eventually going to be single payer, but i would be thinking on a timeline more like 2-3 decades, contingent on how well the aca performs in expanding coverage and access to care. If people don't buy into it, there might not be the political foothold to get there

Last edited:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Don't give up. If you're serious, think about Nurse Practitioner. My Nurse daughter went back in her spare time (a lot of it...!) for some extra years and just graduated (again) in May. The outlook for NPs is pretty good. They will catch the overflow and can do most anything a doctor can. She can prescribe meds (except controlled/narcotic stuff) and do most other things while getting a doctor's OK when needed. She's got an office, a LPN assistant and works for Ochsner Westbank making a LOT more $$$ to start than I would have ever imagined. Made those 4 years worthwhile, IMO.

Once the country gets pushed into a single payer system (2017?) the Federal Government will set a cap on what MDs, NPs, Hospitals get paid. Since it's the only game in town everyone will be forced to be a provider in that system and healthcare professionals will have to work twice as hard for 1/2 the money. All the smart kids will go into engineering and accounting and they'll be a flood of foreign doctors into the system. If you have a lot of money you'll be able to fly down to Honduras and pay cash for an American doctor. They've already bought the land for the Hospitals.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Once the country gets pushed into a single payer system (2017?) the Federal Government will set a cap on what MDs, NPs, Hospitals get paid. Since it's the only game in town everyone will be forced to be a provider in that system and healthcare professionals will have to work twice as hard for 1/2 the money. All the smart kids will go into engineering and accounting and they'll be a flood of foreign doctors into the system. If you have a lot of money you'll be able to fly down to Honduras and pay cash for an American doctor. They've already bought the land for the Hospitals.

Outside of the NHS, which actually IS socialized, this is a system very few countries use, and I doubt we ever would. We would more likely end up with a single payer system like Canada

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

If you think health care professionals will work twice as hard for half the money you are mistaken. They are educated people and can change to other more profitable careers/businesses.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Who said that a single payer system would result in a level of pay for doctors and nurses that is unacceptable for them? It's not at all unusual for there to be structured pay scales in unionized and private businesses, and obviously it already exists in .gov jobs. It hasn't historically resulted in people having to work twice as hard for half the pay.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Who said that a single payer system would result in a level of pay for doctors and nurses that is unacceptable for them? It's not at all unusual for there to be structured pay scales in unionized and private businesses, and obviously it already exists in .gov jobs. It hasn't historically resulted in people having to work twice as hard for half the pay.

Well, you are right about the gubment folk not doing to well with this bo care. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars, had 3 years, and could not make a freaking website work.

Most gubment folk don't work twice as hard for half the pay.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom