OMG - What have I done?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    Added all these cool do-dads to my Glock for competition purposes and just thought about the fact that I will probably be shooting in the open class with this setup.

For those of you who know classes and designations better than me....does this setup put me in open or can I still shoot in limited?

LeftSide-Blade.jpg

cripple

Quad CCW
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2008
    N. of I10
    nope..as long as you don't have any ports in your barrel or optics of any kind you'll be fine to run in Limited/Lim10...you might want to add a front sight though..:)

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    All your mods look Limited/L-10 safe to me.

Grip stippling (in the typical areas that would have grip tape) is OK for both Production and Limited/L-10, but removal of finger grooves would not be legal in either—not that it looks like you've done that—because it's not an external modification expressly allowed under Appendix D4.
    Edited to add: I think I may be incorrect about this in regards to Limited...anyone interested can check post #17.

Last edited:

crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    You would do better if you put on a Front Sight!!!!:naughty::eek::dunno:

Nah....As long as he remembers where the front sight was when he is shooting, he should do ok. Just line up the rear sights to where the front sights were, and bingo. Of course his sight picture is going to be way off. :rofl:

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    It was a joke. A shitty one- but a joke nonetheless.
    C'mon, dammitt. It was at least as creative as your rhinestone crack!:D

I wasn't sure if it was a joke or if there was some type of safety. I was sitting here looking at the magazine release and the frame trying to figure out how anything could be installed in the mag release to prevent the trigger from firing. LOL.

Sometimes the intended meaning doesn't always come through the internet. Maybe I should increase my inner working of the glock fu. :rofl:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I wasn't sure if it was a joke or if there was some type of safety. I was sitting here looking at the magazine release and the frame trying to figure out how anything could be installed in the mag release to prevent the trigger from firing. LOL.

Sometimes the intended meaning doesn't always come through the internet. Maybe I should increase my inner working of the glock fu. :rofl:

I believe those "in the business" refer to it as "Glock Zen"....:rofl:

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    Great! I am definately not ready to compete with those guys in open. Not that I am ready to compete against anyone else for that matter.

As far as the sights go, ever since watching "Steven Segal: Lawman" I have been working on the zen art of "pushing the bullet where I want it to go" instead of aiming the gun. He describes that as the way Japanese warriors shoot their bows and says that it is the same with guns. What a dipsh!t.

So far I have killed three innocent bystanders at the range but I hope to get better at it.

Really, I f'ed up the threads when I was trying to install the Sevigny front sight. I really didn't mind because I hated it. Too tall and thin for me. I installed Novak FO's last night. Love them. Was excited about going to the range today until I found out that the Woodworth range is closed until further notice because someone fired a round over the berm and hit a metal building someone was in a mile away. The RPSO pistol range isn't open to the public and the indoor range isn't open yet. I guess I will have to shoot at my neighbor's house til they open.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Grip stippling (in the typical areas that would have grip tape) is OK for both Production and Limited/L-10, but removal of finger grooves would not be legal in either—not that it looks like you've done that—because it's not an external modification expressly allowed under Appendix D4.

All your mods look Limited/L-10 safe to me.

Crap, I didn't know grip reductions weren't legal in L/L10. I guess that means I can't run my G17. :wtc:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Crap, I didn't know grip reductions weren't legal in L/L10. I guess that means I can't run my G17. :wtc:

Don't despair :wtc:...I think I'm wrong about this. See the edit in post #17.

Get a Jaeger or Lone Wolf comped barrel and a JPoint or STS and you're rolling in Open on the cheap. My G17 is going to end up there someday ;)

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Spanky, you could also e-mail Amidon just to be sure, but based on the way the D4 rules read, I wouldn't hold up much hope. I'd be interested in what the final word would be. Until some questions on the Enos Forum raised the discussion, and a perusal of the rules, I thought Limited was a more open to mods than the rules seem to indicate.

21 Authorized modifications
    •Internal modifications to improve accuracy, reliability and function
    (such as spherical bushings, Acc-U-Rails).
    •Replacement barrels – provided they are the same length as original
    factory standard.
    •Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties, slide stops,
    guide rods).
    22-Prohibited modifications
    External modifications or features such as weights or devices to
    control or reduce recoil (such as but not limited to thumb rests or
    components which could be used as such).

EDITED to revise my earlier conclusion:
    I was interested in this before it was brought up and I think I may very well be wrong on the frame mod making a Glock non-compliant with Limited rules. I did a little digging in the NROI rulings and one that I found from Amidon seemed to clearly indicate that the external mods being prohibited are only external modifications such as thumb rests or weights designed to control or reduce recoil (he said that extended safeties or mag wells weren't included).

All in all, this sentence of the rule book could have been written a little better, IMO, but in hindsight I think my original conclusion may be incorrect, although this type of mod isn't specifically covered by either the "allowed" or "disallowed" rules. In Production, the rules specifically state that whatever is not specifically permitted is disallowed. No such clarity in Limited, but my gut would probably say that if the mags are 140mm, there is no comp or ports on the barrel, it uses standard notch and post sights, nothing added to control recoil like a thumb rest (the "speed pedals" some of the Open guys swear by and others swear at ;) ) then I guess it's a compliant Limited gun.

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Too tall and thin for me.

FWIW, that's why a lot of people, myself included, like 'em. The extra "air" in the sight picture once the front is framed up in the rear makes for a fast acquisition and an easier read on exactly where you are on the target.

That precision beats chunky sights like the standard Glock sights, for me and many others, for shooting games like USPSA, especially as the distance to the target increases. YMMV.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    As far as the sights go, ever since watching "Steven Segal: Lawman" I have been working on the zen art of "pushing the bullet where I want it to go" instead of aiming the gun.

Yes, I concur wholeheartedly. I still need some work, though. The other day while attempting to push the bullet from the barrel, I accidently threw the gun across the room....:dunno:

cripple

Quad CCW
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2008
    N. of I10

You'd be shooting Lim/Lim 10 minor if you did..:)

Had a friend shoot his 17 in Limited a few times back in GA...he just couldn't understand how everyone in Limited was so far ahead of him in the points...remember there is a potential to be one or more points down for EVERY shot you still have to run with all of the major scored loads.

You could run a perfect alpha/alpha day (assuming the speed is nominal of course) and still lose.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom