Open Carry Laws

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I am looking for the law that specifically covers open carrying of firearms in the State of La.

I am trying to find out if it is limited holstered weapons, hand guns, slung rifles, rifles carried at the ready etc...

This is all for educational purposes only.

-- OPEN CARRY LAW --
    Cut and pasted from another thread

It is lawful to carry a firearm provided it is not concealed. A firearm in a holster is not concealed. It is lawful to carry a handgun in the glove compartment of a motor vehicle. The law makes no exception for carrying a firearm concealed "on one's person" even in the home.

I haven't found the definition of a firearm that I am looking for in La. State Law

If this has already been posted sorry, please delete then.
    Thanks

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    State vs Fluker and State vs Ferrand are two Louisiana State Supreme Court decisions relative to OC and there are about 4-5 Attorney General opinions supporting OC.

Our Constitution uses the term "arms" but does not specify just what "arms" are in that context--only that you must have the state's permission to carry concealed.

If you want I will mail you a copy of Fluker and Ferrand--keep them with you as I do.

mark edward marchiafava

mark edward marchiafava
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    in the woods
    does any one know mississippi law

Ms. state constitution, art. 3 sec 12 CLEARLY states every citizen has a right to bear arms, this right "shall not be called into question." Also in the same constitutional cite, it states the state has the right to regulate CONCEALED carry. Problem is, according to the Ms. attorney general's office, ANY weapon being carried is concealed, in whole or part. It's THEIR "opinion" a holstered handgun is concealed in part, hence, you need a concealed carry permit. When pressed for just how do you "bear arms" as guaranteed by the constitution, all James Dale could parrot, over and over and over and over, "get a permit." When I explained the supreme court says you cannot attach a permit to the exercise of a right, he again said "get a permit."
    You wanna try your luck with those idiots?

bryan0928

SRA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Hammond
    I'm not sure what you mean, but if it was illegal to open carry certain guns, you would be breaking the law anytime you walked out of a store with a new gun that was not the right type.

I think you can open carry whatever. The LA consitution says that localities can only regulate concealed carry of arms.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I haven't found the definition of firearm that I am looking for. This is the only one I can find.

"Firearm" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length; a rifle having a barrel of less than sixteen inches in length; any weapon made from either a rifle or a shotgun if said weapon has been modified to have an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; any other firearm, pistol, revolver, or shotgun from which the serial number or mark of identification has been obliterated, from which a shot is discharged by an explosive, if that weapon is capable of being concealed on the person; or a machine gun, grenade launcher, flame thrower, bazooka, rocket launcher, excluding black powder weapons, or gas grenade; and includes a muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not the firearm is included within this definition. Pistols and revolvers and those rifles and shotguns which have not previously been defined in this Paragraph as firearms from which serial numbers or marks of identification have not been obliterated are specifically exempt from this definition.

I would like to see how the State defines a firearm concerning this:
    It is lawful to carry a firearm provided it is not concealed

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom