opinions on 38 super.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    Like the title says.

Academy got some 38 Super ammo in stock and i like what i have read about it so far.

But I am doing the smart thing and asking all of you wise guys about what you think. :D

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Why are you gonna shoot it. I think it has a following in game guns. As a defensive hand gun round it has been surpassed by modern 9mm, .357 SiG, .40, ans .45 loadings.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    For USPSA shooter's 38 super is frequently a better choice than the above rounds. For self defense 38 super would work just fine. With modern ammunition there's very little difference between all of the above rounds for stopping someone in my opinion.

For cost per round fired there are better choices.

Dave

Last edited:

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    Which Academy? What is the price? the website does not show any.

Thanks
    David

The one in Slidell.
    It is 130 grain fmj with plated cases.

I really wasnt planning on using as a defensive round, but i just saw the box in store and was interested. I did some research and while it is expensive, there are a lot of people who like the round.

I was just curious as to what everyone thought about it in general.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Largo

Now 9mm LARGO calibur I like DAT me!

ammo.jpg

StarModelBdans.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If I had the cash I would love to own a Pre-War Colt in .38 Super, not because it's something I would wan't to carry but because I do have a dash of nostalgia in me, after all Bobby Lee Swagger carried one.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The 1911 was designed for the 38ACP round. Colt redesigned it for the 45ACP because that's what the US armed forces wanted.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    My dad was a Marine Sharp Shooter with the 1911 .38 Super. He kept his service pistol and was an amazing shot with it! He once saw a snake swimming in Henderson Lake that had just eaten a big fish and he shot that swimming snake right behind the bulge in his gut and danged if a fish didn't come out! That was a good 25 yards out from the pier too!

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I dropped a deer with one when I was younger.

(That was in another state and I am sure the statute of limitation has run out!)

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    So basicaly it is a good target round when you can find ammo for it, but dont hold your breath for defensive loadings unless I get into handloading....

It's a shame since it seems like a good replacement to standard 9mm rounds.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh getting into paper comparisons, the .38 Super listed on BB's website generally has a little more umph than 9mm +P+.

Still that's just on paper and by BB's numbers.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Buffalo Bore measures their ammuntion from regular handguns not test barrels. From what I've found BB is pretty darn close on it's figures.

Dave

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    It was quite popular with early Fed LEO's for it's ability (with ball ammo) to zip through the steel auto bodies of the 20's and 30's. Something .38 Specials were not known for in 158 grn RNL loadings. This was a significant problem with the advent of the "Motor Bandits" (Bonnie/Clyde, Dillinger, Floyd, Karpis, Barker, et al) who used souped up Ford V-8's to get away from LEO's. Nelson was said to be a fan of the Super and had a full auto version 1911, complete with a customized Thompson foregrip mounted to the dust cover, with him at the time of his demise.

Imho, .45 acp didn't/doesn't have that problem, even with 230 grain ball. Also, back in the day as they say, early body armor was not what it it is now and .38 Super had a pretty good rep for zipping thru that too. The .45 acp did not. Pretty much antedotal stuff I'm saying here but that doesn't make it untrue. :). Jeff Cooper was an advocate of the 1911 in this caliber as a "perfect trail gun", whatever that means these days.

Today? Game ammo imo. It allows gungamers to make major caliber status with faster/flatter loadings. Search elsewhere if you're gonna bet your life on it. With that being said, a pre war Colt 1911 Commercial in Super would be a mighty nice piece to fondle and play with imo, except they tend to go for around/over $3K a pop.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Do not use 38Super ammo in a 38ACP!!!
    They are different. The 38super has a fully supported ramped barrel to handle higher pressures.
    38ACP has a non-ramped barrel and higher pressure ammo will result in case failure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom