Original 1887 Winchester (more pics and video added)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Got myself an original Winchester 1887 12g shotgun. Looking forward to reloading some brass shells for this and shooting it. Thought I would share some pics of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2668_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      IMG_2668_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      230.9 KB · Views: 153
    • IMG_2665_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      IMG_2665_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      175 KB · Views: 146
    • IMG_2669_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      IMG_2669_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      119 KB · Views: 134
    Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That’s a solid old shotty right there. Real sweet. If you like the big lever guns it feels just like a beefy Winchester rifle and the recoil ain’t that bad. Have you had any trouble with plastic cartridges or is the brass for nostalgia?

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    That’s a solid old shotty right there. Real sweet. If you like the big lever guns it feels just like a beefy Winchester rifle and the recoil ain’t that bad. Have you had any trouble with plastic cartridges or is the brass for nostalgia?

I had a clone of this shotgun but wanted an original. I have not shot anything out of this one yet. These are pre smokeless powder so they need black powder. I picked up some extra brass shells because I like the look of them in these old shotguns and they last longer. They also use large pistol primers instead of the 209 primers.

I have loaded black powder in plastic shells with no problems. The hulls just don’t tend to last long with the black powder.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I had a clone of this shotgun but wanted an original. I have not shot anything out of this one yet. These are pre smokeless powder so they need black powder. I picked up some extra brass shells because I like the look of them in these old shotguns and they last longer. They also use large pistol primers instead of the 209 primers.

I have loaded black powder in plastic shells with no problems. The hulls just don’t tend to last long with the black powder.
    I gotcha. I’d heard over the years that the chamber is a tad shorter and the open length of plastic hulls can be a problem. I’ve also heard of at least one owner shooting smokeless loads and eventually having problems, although he didn’t completely wreck the gun, which I found surprising.
    I wish Winchester would make a run of these for modern ammo. Clones are cool, but the real deal would be awesome.
    Also, I’ve read that a 97 barrel will fit, although, I don’t know of anyone with one just lying around.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I gotcha. I’d heard over the years that the chamber is a tad shorter and the open length of plastic hulls can be a problem. I’ve also heard of at least one owner shooting smokeless loads and eventually having problems, although he didn’t completely wreck the gun, which I found surprising.
    I wish Winchester would make a run of these for modern ammo. Clones are cool, but the real deal would be awesome.
    Also, I’ve read that a 97 barrel will fit, although, I don’t know of anyone with one just lying around.

The chambers on these original 1887 shotguns are 2 5/8" so you have to trim the hulls to fit. The brass ones are 2.5" already so they work fine.

I have a couple of 1897 shotguns but this 87 has a good barrel on it so no need to be robbing one of my 97s but yes, the will fit.

I also have some vintage handloading shotgun tools that will come in handy for this.

I also agree that Winchester should come out with one again. They have brought back a few of the older guns like the 66, 73 and the 1895 so them bringing back the 87 would be cool too. Even thought they are made in Japan now it still bears the Winchester name and the Miroku guns are really great in terms of quality.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The chambers on these original 1887 shotguns are 2 5/8" so you have to trim the hulls to fit. The brass ones are 2.5" already so they work fine.

I have a couple of 1897 shotguns but this 87 has a good barrel on it so no need to be robbing one of my 97s but yes, the will fit.

I also have some vintage handloading shotgun tools that will come in handy for this.

I also agree that Winchester should come out with one again. They have brought back a few of the older guns like the 66, 73 and the 1895 so them bringing back the 87 would be cool too. Even thought they are made in Japan now it still bears the Winchester name and the Miroku guns are really great in terms of quality.
    Sounds like you got it all worked out brother. I haven’t cooked black powder in years but still remember the process.
    You’re right about those Japanese guns too. They make good steel. They were making good steel before the invention of firearms. Just ask anyone who knows about those old Browning shotguns.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Man that’s a really nice gun.

Out of curiosity does Winchester make any guns here locally in the states now? I didn’t know they were also producing guns out of Japan. I know a lot of the newer guns such as the SPX and wildcat are Turkish made. I wish they would star production here stateside again. I thought about picking up one of the .22lr wildcats but opted not too after looking into the warranty on them.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Man that’s a really nice gun.

Out of curiosity does Winchester make any guns here locally in the states now? I didn’t know they were also producing guns out of Japan. I know a lot of the newer guns such as the SPX and wildcat are Turkish made. I wish they would star production here stateside again. I thought about picking up one of the .22lr wildcats but opted not too after looking into the warranty on them.

I don’t believe any of their guns ow are made here. I think FN makes some of them and Miroku in Japan makes some. Maybe others too.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Got to actually get out and do some shooting with the old Winchester 1887 Saturday. Was a blast to shoot, litteraly.

Attachments

• D21DA591-9D87-4ECF-BAFD-67E80FD759C5.jpg
      D21DA591-9D87-4ECF-BAFD-67E80FD759C5.jpg
      247.5 KB · Views: 96
    • IMG_2775.jpg
      IMG_2775.jpg
      110.3 KB · Views: 96
    • IMG_2797.jpg
      IMG_2797.jpg
      243.7 KB · Views: 98
    • IMG_2798.jpg
      IMG_2798.jpg