Para Conversion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    I was looking to see if there is a definitive thread on the process of converting a full size FAL to a para.

I've got one of the recent Century models and it's a good shooter, but that doesn't mean I have hang-ups on modifying it. I want something a little more compact. I considered getting rid of the FAL but didn't ever really think about the para conversion. When I was reminded what douchebag I was for not remembering what a para was, I gave up the idea of getting rid of it.

I'm thinking 18" barrel but i'd also like to modify the handguard to bring it back a few inches from the muzzle (just a purely asthetic reason).

Also, are there any tips and tricks to watch out for during the conversion? I'm not in a rush for the completed product, so time isn't an issue. I don't have a whole lot in the gun kitty so i'd be picking up pieces/parts here and there.

FALfan

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Jackson,La
    You could try one of DSA's Para conversion sets which will give you what you need to convert your rifle. http://www.dsarms.com/US-Made-FAL-Paratrooper-Stock-Assembly-----090P035NN/productinfo/090P035NN-A/ You can also try falfiles.com for both loads of information on the conversion and a marketplace that has tons of FAL parts that you could use. The site will also have a listing of FAL gunsmiths that can shorten that barrel for you. The site is worth a visit just for the information it has on the FAL. I have done the DSA conversion to one of my FALs and it is very straight forward. Lots of FAL knowledgible people on this board as well.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    When I converted mine I used the kit from Falcon, it was cheaper, the lower was made of steel, and I just liked it better. I did not do the nose cut , I used the modified top cover on mine.

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    I am a member of the FAL files and did some searches there. I thought they had a thread on it but I couldn't find it. I was hoping to find a definitive thread on parts, pieces, labor, etc that would be needed to do this.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I was looking to see if there is a definitive thread on the process of converting a full size FAL to a para.

I've got one of the recent Century models and it's a good shooter, but that doesn't mean I have hang-ups on modifying it. I want something a little more compact. I considered getting rid of the FAL but didn't ever really think about the para conversion. When I was reminded what douchebag I was for not remembering what a para was, I gave up the idea of getting rid of it.

I'm thinking 18" barrel but i'd also like to modify the handguard to bring it back a few inches from the muzzle (just a purely asthetic reason).

Also, are there any tips and tricks to watch out for during the conversion? I'm not in a rush for the completed product, so time isn't an issue. I don't have a whole lot in the gun kitty so i'd be picking up pieces/parts here and there.

Well I will throw in my two cents worth... ;)

You have a few options and since you are talking about doing this over time and on a budget.....this is how I would do it......:
    First thing if you are going to go with a folding para I would not consider anything BUT a DSA folder! Yes Falcon makes one but the fit is NOT nearly as tight as the DSA folder, I had two and replace them both with DSA folders! The DSA folder is only about $25 to $50 more than FALCON.....
    DSA FOLDER: http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-PARA-Trooper-Folding-Stock---090PSTK-A/productinfo/090PSTK%2DA/

$159.95

Doesn't seem that Falcon are carrying their folder any longer???

Next step you mentioned moving the handguards back a few inches.....well that would me relocating the gas block ie: short gas system, I would start with locating/purchasing a complete imbel barrel, you can pick these up for around $120 to $150. you can send that off and have the barrel cut down to approx. 13 1/2" move the gas block back 3", have a Combo flash hider/muzzle brake perm attached to be legal to about 16 1/4",I have a friend that does this for around $200 for the barrel cutting,gas piston and spring cut down, rethreading and gas block relocation and FH attached.
    You can get the DSA short gas handguards ~$50.00 http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-Military...guard-Black----021SBK-A/productinfo/021SBK-A/ (approx 8" long) yours standard HG's are just over 11" now.

Well that completes the front end!

Next you will need the Para dust cover with recoil springs, dust cover http://www.dsarms.com/US-Para-Steel-Top-Cover--No-Nose-at-Front----035PNN/productinfo/035PNN/
    recoil spring set....http://www.dsarms.com/PARA-Return-Spring-Set-----044PSET/productinfo/044PSET/
    You will also need a para bolt carrier, again I would ONLY recommend a DSA for this,~$85.00 http://www.dsarms.com/PARA-Carrier-with-Sand-Cuts-----033P/productinfo/033P/ YES FALCON makes these as well, TRUST me get the DSA, I had 3 FALCONS I had to send back before the 4th finally worked properly (Another item I don't think they are carrying any longer!) Now once you have all the parts in order you will of course need to have your barrel removed, new front end installed and re head spaced...
    You will also need your receiver to be cut for the Para cut in the recoil plate as well as having the rear tang removed, most FAL gun builders with machines can and will do these cuts for around $75 or so.....Well that about sums it up as far as modifying your existing rifle to a para FAL!! Its even easier of course if you just want to stay with your present front end!! BUT you could always do the front end last at a later date!

If there is anyway I can help give me a shout!!

KT

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Hey Kajun, question...

I'm really looking at doing 16" on the barrel. Have you had any experience with this? I know there will be a loss of velocity, but are there any other tips I need to be aware of if I go 16" + flash hider? I think cutting it to 13.5" with a perm 3" flash hider is going to be more trouble than its worth (loss of accuracy/velocity). Not sure if i'm going to want to shoot it as often, but damn it would be compact!

EDIT: yes, I am aware you were talking about moving the gas nut back to 13", not cutting the barrel back. I got crossed up because I was daydreaming about the 13" + 3" barrel version.

sorry for any confusion. If I were knocking it back to 18" (which I still may because i'm doing it last anyway), I wouldn't worry about it so much. But man 13" + 3" would be really compact.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom