Pellet velocity limits--is this true?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Any of you air gun shooters with the 1200+ pellet velocities, in your experience, is the statement below accurate. Also, where can I buy a 1000+ break barrel USED at a decent price?

Spring-piston guns have a practical upper limit of 1200 ft/s (370 m/s) for .177 cal (4.5 mm) pellets. Higher velocities cause unstable pellet flight and loss of accuracy.[citation needed] Drag increases rapidly as pellets are pushed past the speed of sound, so it is generally better to increase pellet weight to keep velocities subsonic in high-powered guns. Sonic crack from the pellet as it moves with supersonic speed also makes the shot louder, sometimes making it possible to be mistaken for firearm discharge and drawing unwanted attention. Many shooters have found that velocities in the 800 - 900 ft/s (270 m/s) range offer an ideal balance between power and pellet stability

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't know for sure but it sounds like it makes sense. Do you have a need for that much power from a pellet gun? What are you hunting? Tin cans? rabbits and squirrels (which I don't think is legal in LA)? rats or birds? Or is it a range issue (as in you need more)?

If you're looking for that much power switch to a .22 loaded w/ CB caps. Or a .22 pellet gun.

http://www.pyramydair.com/ is the most popular online retailer.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I got free license to kill any destructive rodent affecting property. :D

I don't think my .22 is breaking 1200, probably in the 1000+ range though after the tune-up. It does have a sonic crack when I fire lighter pellets, but generally I stick to magnum loads. Accuracy-wise...yes the cheaper pellets get unstable at higher speeds. If you shoot one into a gel substance at 1100+ speeds, you can look at where the skirt has broken off of the backside of the pellet.

Last edited:

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    WOW

The stoeger with the good pellets rate high up tp 1200. Cabelas has them and Jims has a nice selection

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0067446229663a.shtml

She ite $189.99
    Think I'll stick to my Old School Benjamin pump. LOL
    Gun2.gif

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    The beeman R7 is considered to be the most accurate springer. It's volicites are in the 7 to 800 fps range. I'm not sure if is the volicity of the pellet that affects accuracy or the increased recoil. But I know my rws is very hold sensitive when shooting groups. To me that indicates recoil is the major accuracy variable.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    I have noticed in my pellet guns, the higher the velocity: the greater the pellet weight needs to be in order to achieve the desired accuracy. In the 1000fps guns the light pellets tend to have a much higher number of flyers in a group.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have noticed in my pellet guns, the higher the velocity: the greater the pellet weight needs to be in order to achieve the desired accuracy. In the 1000fps guns the light pellets tend to have a much higher number of flyers in a group.

Just curious if anyone has tried weighing their pellets? I wonder how consistent they are?

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Can't say i've ever actually weighed them. I just go by the weight marked on the packaging. I would imagine though that there may be some discrepancies in weight if you go pellet by pellet through the whole can.

Top Bottom