Peltor Swat Tac issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    So I have a set of Peltor Swat Tacs that I have used for years. Made the mistake of leaving batteries in and storing them. Well the damn batteries leaked and now I have issue with them cutting out when bumped.

Anyone ever have any experience with 3M customer service? Anyone know who can service them?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Commenting for interest....No personal experience but I would hope 3M would have reputable customer service considering their reputation in the industry.

What kind of batteries? Alkaline? Lithium?

I have a couple pairs of Comtac 3s and Howard Leight impact sports for years now. I've used Energizer Lithium in the HL since 2011. No issues whatsoever.

It is VERY advisable to use Lithium batteries in long term use/expensive electronic devices.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    For expensive electronics, ONLY USE LITHIUM !! They won't leak, and power seems to stay more constant in the extreme cold and extreme heat. To my knowledge, no company is going to replace anything for free when the failure is caused by leaking batteries. I could be wrong, and hope I am in your case. Please let us know what your end experience is in this.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I've used 3M customer service a couple times. I broke three pairs of Peltor 500's before getting a more durable pair, but they were really good about warranty/replacement every time I phoned in. This is technically user error not a manufacturer's defect, but if you sweet-talk them they might help you out.

If they don't help you out, message me. I've got a pair of Swattac II's I could part with from my personal gear hoarding, and some brand new Sordin Supreme Pro-X at the shop.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have seen some posts on hardware hacker forums on this issue and depending on how bad the leak was it could be as simple as taking them apart and soldering on new battery tabs or it could be as bad as the circuit board getting etched and cutting circuit traces but you would have to look to know. I have had this happen to flashlights but haven't had the time/inclination to see if I could bring them back.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom