Personal Defense Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection - 45 Auto

Part Number 23975
    Cartridge 45 Auto
    Bullet Wt. 230
    Bullet Type GDHP-SB
    Box Count 20
    Bullet Coefficient 0.148

Velocity(in feet per second)
    Muzzle 820
    50 yards 783
    100 yards 749

Energy (in foot pounds)
    Muzzle 343
    50 yards 313
    100 yards 287

Trajectory (if sighted at 25 yards)
    25 yards0.0
    50 yards -2.5
    75 yards -8.5
    100 yards -18.3
    Test Barrel Length 4" barrel

Then there is always BBB and M855 :D

SigSauerP220

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection - 45 Auto

Part Number 23975
    Cartridge 45 Auto
    Bullet Wt. 230
    Bullet Type GDHP-SB
    Box Count 20
    Bullet Coefficient 0.148

Velocity(in feet per second)
    Muzzle 820
    50 yards 783
    100 yards 749

Energy (in foot pounds)
    Muzzle 343
    50 yards 313
    100 yards 287

Trajectory (if sighted at 25 yards)
    25 yards0.0
    50 yards -2.5
    75 yards -8.5
    100 yards -18.3
    Test Barrel Length 4" barrel

Then there is always BBB and M855 :D

Here is a bad little round for the 45acp.
    230gr Speer Gold Dot JHP

Caliber : .45ACP

Bullet : 230gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 1010fps/ 521 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

The guy Mike that owns Double Tap is a cool dude. I asked him to load me up some nice 30-06, said he will have them in stock and selling them by next week. The stuff that I have got from him in the past - awesome, some of the best groups that I have ever had. You cant really beat the price either ($27.95 for 50 rounds of some of the best ammo on the market). The way places have been going up on everything.

Forrest

REO
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    RBCD .45acp 115gr 2000fps (on the right, Hydroshock .45acp on the left)

Defaul1.gif

Forrest

REO
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Do you have any rational reason to be skeptical of them?

Water jug tests are only useful information if you understand how to interpret them.

RBCD uses a completely new design of projectile, and if it doesn't penetrate 3 water jugs and my FMJ does, does that mean it's "not as good" for self defense? Absolutely not. Do water jugs break into your house and murder you? No.

Ballistic clay is a much better demonstration of why RBCD's self defense ammo does the job it's supposed to do. When it hits a material it can transfer it's energy into, it does so completely. That's how it is designed.

Your family would be a lot safer with RBCD if you're using a handgun for self defense for this very reason. If you miss and hit sheetrock, it will completely expend its energy into the sheetrock, and no stray bullets will be winging around your house.

As far as stopping power, again, look at the ballistic clay. Do you think someone is going to be doing anything if you hit them with a round of RBCD?

Unless you're planning to shoot through a hostage and hit the person behind them, I don't see the problem. :)

SigSauerP220

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Do you have any rational reason to be skeptical of them?

Water jug tests are only useful information if you understand how to interpret them.

RBCD uses a completely new design of projectile, and if it doesn't penetrate 3 water jugs and my FMJ does, does that mean it's "not as good" for self defense? Absolutely not. Do water jugs break into your house and murder you? No.

Ballistic clay is a much better demonstration of why RBCD's self defense ammo does the job it's supposed to do. When it hits a material it can transfer it's energy into, it does so completely. That's how it is designed.

Your family would be a lot safer with RBCD if you're using a handgun for self defense for this very reason. If you miss and hit sheetrock, it will completely expend its energy into the sheetrock, and no stray bullets will be winging around your house.

As far as stopping power, again, look at the ballistic clay. Do you think someone is going to be doing anything if you hit them with a round of RBCD?

Unless you're planning to shoot through a hostage and hit the person behind them, I don't see the problem. :)

I think you should be a spokesman. But im still not buying. Your right, the water jug experiment is meant as just that. Just as the Clay is. Dont know what Ball ammo has to do with anything though. I think that stopped getting used in self defense in WWII. I mean really, if i wanted to use a 115gr. i would just carry my 9mm around. I will agree with you that it may have its strong points, and maybe they are not as visible to some people I would have to stay with my ol tried and true 2 shots center mass with a 230gr chunk of hollow lead.

Forrest

REO
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Haha, yeah they should be paying me...if only they knew. I'm not selling, though, only trying to help you out.

Ball ammo is relevant because I can load ball ammo that would get better penetration than HP and do much better on a test like the water jug test. But it's definitely not better self defense ammo.

You have to remember it's not 115gr of lead. It's several blended metals with a plastic tip to help it break apart and spread. It's also fired at almost double the speed of most .45acp rounds. Ke=.5*M*V^2 ...increasing velocity increases kinetic energy far more than increasing mass.

If you care about the viability and only rely on your own personal experience, why don't you buy a couple of rounds and try them out on pumpkins or something similar (since we don't all have access to ballistic clay) that would do a good job demonstrating how they're actually going to work?

On the other hand, if you refuse to consider than anything might be better than what you're carrying, regardless of the information that's available, I don't understand why you even posted on this thread. :P

Either way, here's to hoping you never have to shoot anyone! :)

Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2007
    CorBon Pow'RBall 100 grain .357 magnum

I've been carrying Federal .357 mag. 125 grain HI-SHOK JHP in my Chief's Special with 2 1/8" barrel, but that's just too much ammo for that light gun. Recoil is fierce and time is lost bringing the gun back on target.
    A review of the Pow'RBall 100 grain round in the November issue of Combat Handguns sounds promising. Does anyone here use that round?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    How expensive is RBCD? I won't carry anything I haven't run at least 100, preferably 250, rounds through my pistol. That's why I never used Glasers.

Top Bottom