Personal Defense Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    For my AR-15 Series rifles, I have a finite supply of 5.56 TAP. Please don't ask because I can't get you any and none of mine is for sale! Let's just say that you have to know the right people!

For my .45 ACP, I tend to prefer Pow R Ball for the 1911s, and/or TAP, 185 gr +P Golden Sabers, OR Speer Gold Dots.

For 9mm, I generally run Cor Bon +P, Ranger +P+ (but I am out right now), or Hydra Shoks.

In .380 I use Winchester Rangers.

7.62x39 and .308 Win are just military surplus type ammo for defensive purposes.

The only downside to all this expensive defense ammunition is that I actually practice with it to ensure function, reliability, and POI, so it goes VERY fast and is EXPENSIVE to replace!

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Hornady TAP is available to anyone with the cash from several vendors.

Its okay ammunition, but not the magic bullet some like to think it is. Federal Tactical Urban, with the Sierra GameKing bullet, is a lot more accurate at longer ranges and just as effective (and non-penetrative of walls, etc.) up close.

Actually, up close, where 99% of us will employ our rifles, good old M193 ball is as effective as anything. If you're worried about shooting through walls, don't use a rifle.

That shouldn't be too hard to figure out...;)

True, .223 75 Grain TAP was easy to find but the 5.56 at lower than market price was a little tougher. I am amazed at what I have seen others selling the 5.56 TAP for on various boards because they easily go TWO to THREE times the actual MSRP on that stuff. Even sadder, people are buying it up at those prices.

HSM also makes a 75 grain 5.56 round, but the Hornady TAP is more accurate out of my 1/7 twist rifles. Now for accuracy, I have yet to find anything that touches the accuracy of the Hornady 75 grain match ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom