Pistol Target Acquisition

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    When shooting a pistol, I seem to do fine when shooting slow controlled shots, IOW shoot, re-align sights, shoot.....etc.

Having never been trained formally per se, I'd like to know, what's the secret on shooting rapidly. Double taps, controlled pairs, or whatever they are called.

When I do that, the accuracy is all over the map. Any drills one could work on when at the range, alone, in an informal setting?

Go easy on a novice :D

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    It's same as shooting slow......just go faster. :-). You must still see the sights and you must still press the trigger smoothly to rear so as to not disturb the sight picture when the gun fires. Learn accuracy first, speed will come naturally (to a point). Smooth is fast. Get yourself an electronic shot timer. When practicing, do a few runs as fast as you can safely do it, then slow it down a bit making sure of your hits, and note your times. You might be surprised as to how close the times are.
    Lots of folks call our game (Steel Challenge, USPSA and 3-Gun) spray and pray, when done properly nothing could be further from the truth.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Most people say either the CED 7000 or a PACT. Thats what I have found in my research YMMV. I have a CED 7000 waiting for me at home but have not got to check it out yet.

I bought one on ebay for $80. I know they usually are much more expensive than that. I did the buy it now but I just looked and they must have sold out. They had 6 left when I bought mine. They do have some auctions running in about the $75 range.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    This is what Kyle Farris reccommended on TPI. The top piece is more recent. The lower is a listing of a number of timers and his opinions of each.:
    ///////////////

Yeah, the CED 7000 is head and shoulder above the rest.

I was resistant to it for a long while, as I've always favored the PACT products...but there just is no denying it.

I just have grown to like it more and more...so I'll repeat myself

- the size is just fantastic
    - the internal rechargable battery holds a charge forever.
    - get the exterally battery pack to go with it and never worry about a dead timer again...and it's still the smallest thing around.
    - adaptors (some optional) let you charge it like a cell phone...in the wall or with a cig lighter in the car.
    - I have the neck strap and wear it like a necklace
    - I have the wrist strap and wear it like a watch when running shooters
    - I'd guess it would take a drop better than the Pact CTIII, plus you can get a rubber condom (optional) to put on it for extra protection

- Volume adjust pretty easy. (you can turn it down for dry fire)
    //////////////

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

R U Ready (yellow) shot timers -
    http://www.ruready.com/
    Loud as hell for a beep (which can be good at the range). Most all of these seem to crap out on us. In the heat...the LCD displays give out. (We used to have to take an ice-cude from a cooler and run it over the display to get somebody's time.)

Pocket Pro Compeition Electronics
    http://www.competitionelectronics.com/
    The old version seemed to hold up decent, but didn't have much in the way of display options. The new version gives more display choices.

Pact - Club Timer II (now III?)
    http://pact.com/index.php?option=com...d=17&Itemid=32
    Used to be that this was my favorite. Easy to handle and use...and the display gave great info (first shot, last shot, splits...easy to review all shots). It wasn't as loud as some. The loudness has (reportedly) be turned up for the III model.

Pact - MkIV (old version)
    This was the timer I first owed. It was the ****. It CAME with a chrono...including the skyscreens. It was big, but had lots of features. I even got a battery powered HP printer (IR) from Ebay that allowed me to print out times and chrono data. (Mine has run for years. I love it.)

Pact MkIV XP (new version)http://pact.com/index.php?option=com...d=15&Itemid=32
    This was a software "improvement". Well...hmmm. They took away the sky screens that came with the unit. It still was to work as a chrono, you just had to buy the skyscreens (not expensive). The kicker is...the ****ing software didn't work when it came out for the chrono feature. Guys would buy the unit...and buy the chrono screens. It would only work as a timer. You had to send the brand new unit back to Pact to get an upgrade/fix to get your chrono portion working. Guys were

CED 8000 -
    http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object518
    This baby is gameboy sized. Lots of features and memory and such. It really does good.

CED 7000 -
    http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object700
    This is the new ****. It's the size of a small cell phone, yet the controls are big enough to use and the display is good. It runs on a rechargable battery ! You can plug it into a wall, cig. lighter in the car...and you can add a little battery pack to it (just snaps on) and run/charge it with AAA batteries too. Lots of little features. I wear it around my neck when I run shooters.

The CED 7000 is the hands down 1st choice now, in my book.
    ////////////

Here's some vids of Kyle in action.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    I've got a CED 7000 and am quite happy with it.

A couple of books that you might find helpful are:

Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford
    Shooting From Within by J. Michael Plaxco
    Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I've got a CED 7000 and am quite happy with it.

A couple of books that you might find helpful are:

Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford
    Shooting From Within by J. Michael Plaxco
    Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos

Brian's book is a good read. I've read it 3 times and get more out of it each time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom