Place to Camp and Hike with Gear/Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    Coming from a trail-hiker only person (so far) but here is my completely a dumb question: seeing people "LARP/prep and practice" for whatever, I always was curious: where in Louisiana is it okay (aka not gonna have cops or a Karen freak out if they see you in the woods with a rifle and rig not for hunting because you wanna go be Rambo or test out gear for a few days) for someone to hike/ruck in like, chest rigs, equipment, practice shooting and camp out with said loadout? I'm all for camping off the grid or just being out in bum-fudge nowhere, but was curious where one could do all that carrying an AR15/mags and a bag etc without it being a problem, considering I've seen others do it online and it made me wonder what legal BS/legal areas one could do so.

I am aware of the laws and legalities for places like Tunica Hills, and other National Parks, but was unsure of what else would be out there.

Feel free to roast, but considering the world as is, seems like a "good to know" bit of info that anyone reading the information in this thread can see without having to ask out loud like I am lol. Not everyone knows a dude with acres and acres of land to be a weekend warrior for shits n giggles at.

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Do you own a boat?

Plenty of "State Land" in the Atchafalaya Spillway. Not to be confused with WMA properties. I'd imagine that would fit your bill....

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    So "state land" is the key thing to look for? I do not have a boat, and I prefer something I can hike whiles before camp etc too.
    Yes. The exact website name escapes me, but the state does have electronic maps of all public lands. Give it a look, you may be able to find something with road access.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Sherburne wildlife management area will be what you looking for; you do have to fill out a self clearing form, so the Rangers know someone is in the woods

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Cool! And I imagine there are laws and regs to consider or is it basically a free-all as long as not shooting animals poaching etc
    Way less rules than a WMA. I use it for hunting. You can use feeders and leave permanent stands in the woods. Hog traps are allowed. No self clearing permits or anything of the sort either.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    Is shooting allowed on these "State Land" areas?
    I've always been led to believe shooting is typically not legal on public land. I'd love to find out I'm wrong.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    dont be the guy who was rucking along the river on the levy with a pack and AR, just so happen to be a school property and got jammed up badly for trying to get in shape like he wanted..

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    If I'm not mistaken, target shooting is not allowed on federal lands, even during hunting season. Likewise, carrying a loaded centerfire rifle on federal land could be considered intent to poach. If I were you, I would do as previously mentioned; contact Wildlife and Fisheries for the answer to your questions

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    If it were me, I'd contact the LOCAL game wardens/agents/rangers covering Sherborne, or Kisatchie and tell them what you want to do. If rifles aren't allowed off-season, just carry an iron pipe filled with sand about the same weight, along with the rest of your loadout. There are campgrounds at both places (don't know about Honey Island) and shooting ranges you could practice shooting. The one at Sherborne is free and next to the campground. There are also Homochitto and DeSoto Nat'l Forests in MS that may allow dispersed camping.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Telling the game warden you're not hunting before you go into the woods (maybe leave the BCG in the vehicle) will probably have a better outcome than denying you're hunting after he finds you in the woods with a rifle and ammo.

Top Bottom