Place to Camp and Hike with Gear/Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    Telling the game warden you're not hunting before you go into the woods (maybe leave the BCG in the vehicle) will probably have a better outcome than denying you're hunting after he finds you in the woods with a rifle and ammo.
    True. And I assume if you own the land there isn't going to be this much to consider eh?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Coming from a trail-hiker only person (so far) but here is my completely a dumb question: seeing people "LARP/prep and practice" for whatever, I always was curious: where in Louisiana is it okay (aka not gonna have cops or a Karen freak out if they see you in the woods with a rifle and rig not for hunting because you wanna go be Rambo or test out gear for a few days) for someone to hike/ruck in like, chest rigs, equipment, practice shooting and camp out with said loadout? I'm all for camping off the grid or just being out in bum-fudge nowhere, but was curious where one could do all that carrying an AR15/mags and a bag etc without it being a problem, considering I've seen others do it online and it made me wonder what legal BS/legal areas one could do so.

I am aware of the laws and legalities for places like Tunica Hills, and other National Parks, but was unsure of what else would be out there.

Feel free to roast, but considering the world as is, seems like a "good to know" bit of info that anyone reading the information in this thread can see without having to ask out loud like I am lol. Not everyone knows a dude with acres and acres of land to be a weekend warrior for shits n giggles at.
    What exactly are you wanting to do this for? Just for practice walking around with your gear? Or are you looking to go shoot somewhere?

If the former, I would recommend ditching the rifle and most of the "gun stuff" and doing some technical hiking. I do a lot of hiking all across the country and only once have I walked past someone with a rifle - it was two young dudes and I was not too thrilled to see them out in the middle of nowhere with a rifle walking up on me. I've seen guys open carrying pistols twice, but it's just not part of the normal backpacking attire as it's mostly unnecessary.

If the latter, I'd recommend taking some classes with instructors who will challenge you and give you guidance.

If you just want to get in better shape, throw on a 20 pound weight vest, invest in a kettlebell, and get your sweat on in your garage or in a driveway.

Finally, if you're looking for trails within a decent drive of Louisiana that offer more technical or strenuous hiking, I'm happy to recommend. I wouldn't recommend bringing a rifle, or a plate carrier, and frankly, unless you are uberfit, I doubt you could complete the trail(s) with these items.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    True. And I assume if you own the land there isn't going to be this much to consider eh?
    Totally depends. If a game warden sees you coming out of the woods with typical "hunting gear," even on your own property, he could make the case that you intended to shoot something. It could be a battle you could have to have with a judge.

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    What exactly are you wanting to do this for? Just for practice walking around with your gear? Or are you looking to go shoot somewhere?

If the former, I would recommend ditching the rifle and most of the "gun stuff" and doing some technical hiking. I do a lot of hiking all across the country and only once have I walked past someone with a rifle - it was two young dudes and I was not too thrilled to see them out in the middle of nowhere with a rifle walking up on me. I've seen guys open carrying pistols twice, but it's just not part of the normal backpacking attire as it's mostly unnecessary.

If the latter, I'd recommend taking some classes with instructors who will challenge you and give you guidance.

If you just want to get in better shape, throw on a 20 pound weight vest, invest in a kettlebell, and get your sweat on in your garage or in a driveway.

Finally, if you're looking for trails within a decent drive of Louisiana that offer more technical or strenuous hiking, I'm happy to recommend. I wouldn't recommend bringing a rifle, or a plate carrier, and frankly, unless you are uberfit, I doubt you could complete the trail(s) with these items.

Already an avid hiker at about 15 mile lengths being my current max with a pack at 40lbs, and I'm in better shape than most (and lord who the heck rucks with plates at all that seems miserable), but I guess wanting to train/full loadout I was trying to figure if that was gonna be a "pay-to-play at a designated place" deal 100% of the time, or if one could go by themselves or with friends to practice or basically muck around in kit if they wanted to upkeep training/bushcraft/play Rambo as long as they aren't poaching/tearing up the place. I saw pics of others online (I believe) doing so, made me raise the question how one would go about that, outside owning some compound or a business where you paid a lot for the initial training and had to keep it there. For me, adding my chest rig and maybe my rifle to what I already do I guess is what I would've done, but camping and getting away from others I want to do, last campsites I been at seemed packed and I hated the crowded areas.

As for carrying a handgun on hikes, already do it a lot but I carry in general anywhere as it is CCW. Casual hikes I'll be at Tunica Hills all day or just walking all over town rather than drive, my work has me stuck inside the majority of any length of shifts I had, so I play serious catch up with my outdoors time as much I can.

Regarding the classes, I heard of some warrior weekend thing at MCTA but they don't seem to have them on schedule and my biggest issue is my work makes me go offshore at random intervals so scheduling anything is hell for me, but would def be interested in it when I can.

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    Totally depends. If a game warden sees you coming out of the woods with typical "hunting gear," even on your own property, he could make the case that you intended to shoot something. It could be a battle you could have to have with a judge.
    Game wardens can be in your property...? Or you mean they see you leaving the area to go home and they saw the gear?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Do you own a boat?

Plenty of "State Land" in the Atchafalaya Spillway. Not to be confused with WMA properties. I'd imagine that would fit your bill....
    I don’t think you can camp on the state land in the spillway.
    Game wardens can be in your property...? Or you mean they see you leaving the area to go home and they saw the gear?
    Game wardens can go where they want and don’t need a warrant.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    That seems intrusive as hell if that's your property...
    It's the same with any law enforcement officer. The point being, you are not free to break any existing laws just because you are on your own property and LEs job is to enforce laws......wherever. An encounter may just require an explanation and it may go further.

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    It's the same with any law enforcement officer. The point being, you are not free to break any existing laws just because you are on your own property and LEs job is to enforce laws......wherever. An encounter may just require an explanation and it may go further.
    Ah true that makes sense, but them being on the property without any reason beyond "lemme see if I can catch someone" basically felt like a cop peeking his head into my house without probable cause lol

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    Just read the legal eagle stuff about them, okay the hunting season regs make sense on why they come into any woods now lol.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Already an avid hiker at about 15 mile lengths being my current max with a pack at 40lbs, and I'm in better shape than most (and lord who the heck rucks with plates at all that seems miserable), but I guess wanting to train/full loadout I was trying to figure if that was gonna be a "pay-to-play at a designated place" deal 100% of the time, or if one could go by themselves or with friends to practice or basically muck around in kit if they wanted to upkeep training/bushcraft/play Rambo as long as they aren't poaching/tearing up the place. I saw pics of others online (I believe) doing so, made me raise the question how one would go about that, outside owning some compound or a business where you paid a lot for the initial training and had to keep it there. For me, adding my chest rig and maybe my rifle to what I already do I guess is what I would've done, but camping and getting away from others I want to do, last campsites I been at seemed packed and I hated the crowded areas.

As for carrying a handgun on hikes, already do it a lot but I carry in general anywhere as it is CCW. Casual hikes I'll be at Tunica Hills all day or just walking all over town rather than drive, my work has me stuck inside the majority of any length of shifts I had, so I play serious catch up with my outdoors time as much I can.

Regarding the classes, I heard of some warrior weekend thing at MCTA but they don't seem to have them on schedule and my biggest issue is my work makes me go offshore at random intervals so scheduling anything is hell for me, but would def be interested in it when I can.
    Gotcha. I think I would go back to my original recommendation then or really focusing on each skill individually, rather than trying to work on both at the same time.

If you want a challenging hike, go to Eagle Rock Loop up in Arkansas. It's a drive from the Mandeville area (7.5 hr), but you could leave on a morning at five, and be hiking by 12:30. It's a 30-mile loop that will kick your butt. I've done the trail in two days before with a 35lb pack and it kicked my butt. It will definitely be completely different than anything you've done in LA.

For training near you, check out Bearco (https://bearcotraining.com/).

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    Gotcha. I think I would go back to my original recommendation then or really focusing on each skill individually, rather than trying to work on both at the same time.

If you want a challenging hike, go to Eagle Rock Loop up in Arkansas. It's a drive from the Mandeville area (7.5 hr), but you could leave on a morning at five, and be hiking by 12:30. It's a 30-mile loop that will kick your butt. I've done the trail in two days before with a 35lb pack and it kicked my butt. It will definitely be completely different than anything you've done in LA.

For training near you, check out Bearco (https://bearcotraining.com/).
    Def will check out Bearco for training regarding gun stuff. I’m very keen on more bush craft stuff, basic camping is not hard but more knowledge is welcomed. For the 15mile one I basically went along that trail that goes from Slidell to covington etc for the distance. That trail in Arkansas sounds amazing and def now on my list to try next break I get.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I know of a place where you can hike with others in full kit. Heck, they'll even provide you with a rifle to carry.
    It's in Missouri. Place called Ft Leonard Wood. Ask your recruiter about it.

Why LARP when you can live the dream.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Def will check out Bearco for training regarding gun stuff. I’m very keen on more bush craft stuff, basic camping is not hard but more knowledge is welcomed. For the 15mile one I basically went along that trail that goes from Slidell to covington etc for the distance. That trail in Arkansas sounds amazing and def now on my list to try next break I get.
    I've done the trail you're talking about..and...it doesn't compare to the type of hiking that I'm talking about.

The Tammany Trace Trail (through Fontainebleu St park) is 27 miles long and has an elevation gain of 187 feet across the trail.

Eagle Rock Look is 29 miles and has an elevation gain of 4100 feet.

Working on hiking/rucking through more intense terrain would pay more dividends than walking along a very flat road. You should probably try to start out with as little weight as possible before moving to anything heavier.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom