Places to access the comite/middle amite/thompson creek?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Does anyone know of any good places to access any of these to wade fish any of these places? I haven't wade fished any of these places in almost two decades. It seems like there is just about nowhere safe to park anymore without being arrested or towed.

I'm in Zachary but dick around in the felecianas and st helena pretty often.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Does anyone know of any good places to access any of these to wade fish any of these places? I haven't wade fished any of these places in almost two decades. It seems like there is just about nowhere safe to park anymore without being arrested or towed.

I'm in Zachary but dick around in the felecianas and st helena pretty often.

I see allot of people just pull over and fish Thompson’s creek at the hwy 61 bridge. They seem to do it allot when the water is a little high but not too high. There is construction work going on at the bridge so I would not do it during the week at all or anytime they are working. Don’t know if it’s legal or not but allot of people do it.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Yeah I saw a few there last weekend, I think its probably less risky if I were planning to stay near the truck, maybe just get run off if thats the case. I want to leave it for half a day and have it be there untouched when I get back lol.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    There used to be and I assume there still is a kayak rental place in town that would launch people in bayou Sara. If still there you could rent a kayak and go do what you want in there. Same type of water. Or go park at the oyster bar and walk. It’s right next to it.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    In fact I think I heard someone talking about this recently and they said the owner of the oyster bar didn’t mind.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Yeah I was thinking about that the other day when I was fishing at the ferry having no luck, I think there is a spot in cat island to get on Sara where its more like a creek, will have to look ok google earth. I'm after spotted bass and they like sand and very clear water.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    LDWF controls the creeks and rivers and says its perfectly legal to fish, camp, hike them, but so many people have moved onto them and complained enough that DOTD made it illegal to park at anywhere you can see a creek or small river.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    LDWF controls the creeks and rivers and says its perfectly legal to fish, camp, hike them, but so many people have moved onto them and complained enough that DOTD made it illegal to park at anywhere you can see a creek or small river.

Yea I know Thompson’s creek is technically open to the public but in typical Louisiana political style adjacent land owners have local law convinced they own it and at times it is enforced. Classic case of money vs no money thing. However I know that if it wasn’t for people (mostly younger) tearing ass up and down that creek on atv’s and mud boats leaving litter and trash behind no one would’ve ever cared.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    I take a 2 to 3 day kayak trip once ever other year down the Amite. I put in on Hwy 10 by Greensburg and come out on Hwy 64 at a place called Frogs. Lots of sand bars to camp on. Do not go when the water is high is super dangerous. I see people fishing under the bridge on Hwy 10

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You can go to the Comite River BREC bike trails and can easily access the river. There are plenty of sandbars that you can fish from and ample area to wade around and explore.

It's BREC, so last I checked it's a firearm free zone, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Used to ride (ATV) and float a few waterways up there from bayou Sarah to the Amite. Caught a surprising amount of fish from the Comite. I’ll send you a PM in a few to get you started.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yea I know Thompson’s creek is technically open to the public but in typical Louisiana political style adjacent land owners have local law convinced they own it and at times it is enforced. Classic case of money vs no money thing. However I know that if it wasn’t for people (mostly younger) tearing ass up and down that creek on atv’s and mud boats leaving litter and trash behind no one would’ve ever cared.

A friend of mine was asking about floating Thompson Creek about 10 years or so ago. I think his last call was to the DA when he was told he would be trespassing and charged for it. Just like you said the land owners think they own the creek

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    A friend of mine was asking about floating Thompson Creek about 10 years or so ago. I think his last call was to the DA when he was told he would be trespassing and charged for it. Just like you said the land owners think they own the creek
    Yup. There’s an old guy up on the Norwood end that used to come out with a gun and harass anyone passing through. The way he acted made me think he would either shoot or be shot eventually. As far as the law and the DA, I’ve never heard of anyone being prosecuted. As far as land ownership of part of a waterway, ask how a gravel pit owner can dig sand and gravel directly from the river. Years ago I watched an outfit dig out Thompson Creek on the south side of the Hwy 10 bridge.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Yeah the whole legal/not legal thing is stupid. LDWF says it is being state wetland, and it's illegal to log within 50' of a creek or bayou, but somehow pits are perfectly fine to dig them all up...I only know one thing about politics in Louisiana, they're screwed up.

I grew up on the Comite and Thompson creek, every weekend all weekend. I guess it's better for kids to stay inside on the internet doing/saying dumb stuff that they'll have their lives ruined over in 15 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom