Pocket carry single stack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    So I am back out on the streets early in the mornings before sun-up soon. Possibly in sketchy places.

I wear slacks and in the past, when I felt the need to carry, I've dropped a little Beretta Nano in my pocket inside a little break away pocket holster....and away I went.

Now I want to upgrade. I want something about the same size but with a rail to attach a light to. Which model Glock/Sig/Etc would you recommend?

Is the light option a bad idea for pocket carry? If not, what light would you recommend?

Note: All opinions, answers, insults, sarcasm, crude noises, etc are more than welcome and much appreciated.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So I am back out on the streets early in the mornings before sun-up soon. Possibly in sketchy places.

I wear slacks and in the past, when I felt the need to carry, I've dropped a little Beretta Nano in my pocket inside a little break away pocket holster....and away I went.

Now I want to upgrade. I want something about the same size but with a rail to attach a light to. Which model Glock/Sig/Etc would you recommend?

Is the light option a bad idea for pocket carry? If not, what light would you recommend?

Note: All opinions, answers, insults, sarcasm, crude noises, etc are more than welcome and much appreciated.

Loaded question with lots of answers. I'll share some information in no specific order:

1) Pocket carry is a terrible idea in general. It's even more terrible now with all of the great holster options that are available that allow a larger pistol to be carried.
    2) Any WML that isn't full-sized is essentially useless. All of the subcompact lights are basically just marketing toys and aren't sufficient to defeat photonic barriers. Any light that fits on a pocket-carry pistol isn't much more useful than an iPhone light. If you decide to pocket carry, I recommend just getting a dedicated light for lighting things up (this also keeps you from using your gun as a light).
    3) Check out the Phlster Enigma Holster. You can use this and carry a real gun with a real WML attached. I'd also recommend adding a quality handheld light to your EDC, but that's a different discussion.

Drawing from a pocket is slow and not safe. It's even harder to draw while sitting down (such as in a car). On the contrary, an Enigma allows quick and efficient drawing, less printing, more comfort, and a bigger, better gun.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Loaded question with lots of answers. I'll share some information in no specific order:

1) Pocket carry is a terrible idea in general. It's even more terrible now with all of the great holster options that are available that allow a larger pistol to be carried.

Pocket carry is the only viable option in this scenario.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    SCCY CPX2. Was with my brother a few months ago and he drew it out of his pocket fast and fired two shots before I knew what was going on. Pocket carrying is not slow if you practice and know what you are doing. Dont knock it until you try it! ;)

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

2) Any WML that isn't full-sized is essentially useless. All of the subcompact lights are basically just marketing toys and aren't sufficient to defeat photonic barriers. Any light that fits on a pocket-carry pistol isn't much more useful than an iPhone light. If you decide to pocket carry, I recommend just getting a dedicated light for lighting things up (this also keeps you from using your gun as a light).
    3) Check out the Phlster Enigma Holster. You can use this and carry a real gun with a real WML attached. I'd also recommend adding a quality handheld light to your EDC, but that's a different discussion.

Drawing from a pocket is slow and not safe. It's even harder to draw while sitting down (such as in a car). On the contrary, an Enigma allows quick and efficient drawing, less printing, more comfort, and a bigger, better gun.

Pocket carry is def not a “terrible idea”. In some instances it’s very viable. I pocket carry and when I see something sketchy I simply place my hand naturally in my pocket and am holding the grip of my handgun. I’m not sure why I would always need a larger handgun. Most defensive shootings are only a few rounds and I can always carry a spare mag for malfunctions as I would do with a larger firearm. I’d bet I can place my hand in my pocket on my firearm as I would naturally do and draw and fire it before u can clear your cover garment and draw and fire your handgun.

PS: I double checked myself and most defensive shootings by civilians involve 3.5 rounds on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Pocket carry has a place.

There are no current WML's that could attach to a pocket gun that are worth owning. The TLR-6 is about the only thing that fits micro guns and it's as useful as the light on your phone.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Pocket carry has a place.

There are no current WML's that could attach to a pocket gun that are worth owning. The TLR-6 is about the only thing that fits micro guns and it's as useful as the light on your phone.

This is a good answer. Carry a handheld light in your scenario.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Pocket carry is def not a *terrible idea*. In some instances it’s very viable. I pocket carry and when I see something sketchy I simply place my hand naturally in my pocket and am holding the grip of my handgun. I’m not sure why I would always need a larger handgun. Most defensive shootings are only a few rounds and I can always carry a spare mag for malfunctions as I would do with a larger firearm. I’d bet I can place my hand in my pocket on my firearm as I would naturally do and draw and fire it before u can clear your cover garment and draw and fire your handgun.

PS: I double checked myself and most defensive shootings by civilians involve 3.5 rounds on average.

Whatcha pocket carrying these days?

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have Mountain Khakis shorts that will hold my G43, with a TT +1 mag, in a cheap holster that covers the trigger, without issue. It is really easy to throw that in my pocket and go.

It looks like I have a wallet in my front pocket. Or like me on any other day...

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    I have troussers with big enough pockets that I can pocket carry a Charter Arms .44special Bulldog without it showing. So, am I wrong for doing so?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I handled one of those the other day and really liked it. I think you just convinced me. Thanks.

They are awesome little guns. They had problems early on like most new things but all of that should be in the rear view. Give us a update when you get something

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I like how a person can say something is a terrible idea and really believe it and when someone does it anyway and it saves their life….they still say it’s a terrible idea.
    Anyway, I’ve found the .357mag 5 shot hammerless or bobbed hammer snub nose to be a favorite front pocket carry. Especially those with a boot grip. The shape and size lends to easy and quick clearing and they offer very decent firepower. Many of the newer micro 9mm pistols also would be a good choice.
    I think a few people believe if you’re gonna carry a firearm you have to carry the maximum firepower that you can conceal on your person. That’s fine and dandy but I think it’s foolish to think it’s that or nothing. I think those people also plan on shooting it out til the end and that tells me they aren’t very smart or maybe haven’t thought things out too well. My ass plans on escape first and foremost and if need be, keeping loved ones out of harm’s way. Unless I’m at home, I don’t plan on going to battle with anyone. If I’m out and about and an attacker or shooter shows up and goes into kill mode, I’m making my exit and that’s that. If you think that chasing down or continuing to face an attacker will increase your chances of survival, go ahead and plan for it. Sooner or later Darwin will prove you wrong.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Standard model 365 has been a sweetheart to me since Oct 2018. Over 3k rounds through it. No complaints. I eventually put a XL grip module on it. I carry it iwb with a 12rd mag.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I like how a person can say something is a terrible idea and really believe it and when someone does it anyway and it saves their life….they still say it’s a terrible idea.
    Anyway, I’ve found the .357mag 5 shot hammerless or bobbed hammer snub nose to be a favorite front pocket carry. Especially those with a boot grip. The shape and size lends to easy and quick clearing and they offer very decent firepower. Many of the newer micro 9mm pistols also would be a good choice.
    I think a few people believe if you’re gonna carry a firearm you have to carry the maximum firepower that you can conceal on your person. That’s fine and dandy but I think it’s foolish to think it’s that or nothing. I think those people also plan on shooting it out til the end and that tells me they aren’t very smart or maybe haven’t thought things out too well. My ass plans on escape first and foremost and if need be, keeping loved ones out of harm’s way. Unless I’m at home, I don’t plan on going to battle with anyone. If I’m out and about and an attacker or shooter shows up and goes into kill mode, I’m making my exit and that’s that. If you think that chasing down or continuing to face an attacker will increase your chances of survival, go ahead and plan for it. Sooner or later Darwin will prove you wrong.

I would love to get my hands on a S&W 340PD

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you're in the market for a lightweight wheelgun that doesn't cost you a car note, the Ruger LCR .327 Federal with .32 H&R loads is an ideal pocket gun.

Pocket carry isn't my first choice, but if it's all you can manage or it just makes sense, go for it. I'm not you, so you make your own choices.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA

Get a Sig P365 with the Streamlight TLR-7 Sub (500 Lumens). Works perfect for your situation. And size is about the same as your Beretta, but the P365 holds more rounds:

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/beretta-nano-vs-sig-sauer-p365
    https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/tlr-7-sub
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKrPmByjpR4

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Get a Sig P365 with the Streamlight TLR-7 Sub (500 Lumens). Works perfect for your situation. And size is about the same as your Beretta, but the P365 holds more rounds:

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/beretta-nano-vs-sig-sauer-p365
    https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/tlr-7-sub

That's a good way to make a small gun, big.

maxresdefault.jpg

Also, for anyone wanting to carry a WML on a small pistol, this is worth listening to...

http://ballisticradio.com/2021/06/01/handgun-wmls-are-not-necessary-season-8-episode-344/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom