"Police waited 45 minutes in school before pursuing shooter"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Wait til more information comes out…I bet that’s what the hoard of cops said outside that school…
    Why speculate, though? We weren't there and the news is rather limited. If they ****** up, they ****** up. It sucks, people will be held accountable, and it will forever become a learning opportunity for the rest of the US (I hope). But for now, it's not even giving anyone the benefit of the doubt - it's simply waiting to comment until more information is released.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I thought you had changed a little but I see you haven’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey, judge me if you want. There was a hoard of cops that gave this guy an extra 45 minutes to kill kids. You find a way to justify that. If it was a hoard of nurses armed to the teeth that sat there do you think I’d see things any differently? I’ll give you a hint, I would not. Don’t wait for me to change. I’m not sure why you seem to take what I said personally. Nobody associated YOU with those cops.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Why speculate, though? We weren't there and the news is rather limited. If they ****** up, they ****** up. It sucks, people will be held accountable, and it will forever become a learning opportunity for the rest of the US (I hope). But for now, it's not even giving anyone the benefit of the doubt - it's simply waiting to comment until more information is released.
    Absolutely! Take all the time you need. They did.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Hey, judge me if you want. There was a hoard of cops that gave this guy an extra 45 minutes to kill kids. You find a way to justify that. If it was a hoard of nurses armed to the teeth that sat there do you think I’d see things any differently? I’ll give you a hint, I would not. Don’t wait for me to change. I’m not sure why you seem to take what I said personally. Nobody associated YOU with those cops.

Apparently you haven’t read my comments regarding the incident.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’m not sure what’s to speculate about. Can anyone think of a good reason for 20+ cops to wait outside of a school when they have knowledge one active shooter is inside for an hour?

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    Haven't seen one thing that paints the cops in a good light concerning this terrible avoidable incident. From tazing and handcuffing parents who would have put themselves in harms way to try to stop this senseless time-sensitive tragedy, to calling for the children inside to call out for help and effectively telling the shooter where they were. The cops screwed this one up so bad it almost looks intentional. The internet in general is disgusted with the cops who handled this. It's worse than the Floyd incident with the outrage I am seeing, because this crosses all racial and political barriers concerning these cops ineptitude and lack of common sense. Rumors that are unconfirmed are that some cops went in and got their kids leaving the rest well before the shooter was stopped. Also the border patrol agent was off duty and ignored orders to stand down and entered through a window on the other side of the school and did what the others were unwilling to do in the face of danger. He proved that the only way to stop a bad guy with gun is to be a good guy with a gun and to not follow orders when the orders allow children to die. Haven't seen law inforcement screw the pooch this bad since the branch dividen ATF debacle that left many children dead. I hope these cops are not only fired but are held accountable for their actions. Thin blue line indeed!

Kee

Aware
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Optics looks bad on this, but "learn from this for next time" is a head scratcher. Most police have trained for this EXACT scenario, and this LOOKS like most of those police were not willing to what needed to be done. We have seen police attacked by people they are trying to protect. We have seen police reprimanded, fired, prosecuted and jailed because they did their job in the "wrong way" as per the public and politicians. We have seen police now, look long, at situations different and access decisions on ramifications vs their training or gut. We used to have academies busting at the seams and having to turn some away to academies begging people apply. We have a lot of good cops that have left the force because of the writing on the wall and the target on their back. The GOOD cops that are still here, God bless you. The rest of the "cops", well I guess as a society this is what we get.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston

StephenC

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Haven't seen one thing that paints the cops in a good light concerning this terrible avoidable incident. From tazing and handcuffing parents who would have put themselves in harms way to try to stop this senseless time-sensitive tragedy, to calling for the children inside to call out for help and effectively telling the shooter where they were. The cops screwed this one up so bad it almost looks intentional. The internet in general is disgusted with the cops who handled this. It's worse than the Floyd incident with the outrage I am seeing, because this crosses all racial and political barriers concerning these cops ineptitude and lack of common sense. Rumors that are unconfirmed are that some cops went in and got their kids leaving the rest well before the shooter was stopped. Also the border patrol agent was off duty and ignored orders to stand down and entered through a window on the other side of the school and did what the others were unwilling to do in the face of danger. He proved that the only way to stop a bad guy with gun is to be a good guy with a gun and to not follow orders when the orders allow children to die. Haven't seen law inforcement screw the pooch this bad since the branch dividen ATF debacle that left many children dead. I hope these cops are not only fired but are held accountable for their actions. Thin blue line indeed!

Yeah the key difference is Derek Chauvin is innocent and those kids didn’t deserve what happened to them unlike Floyd who got off easy.

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    Is the truth allowed?

Attachments

• WkaWqAH.jpg
      WkaWqAH.jpg
      343.8 KB · Views: 74

Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    CENLA
    I’m a police officer or “cop” and I’m prior military. I agree with both sides of this argument and I disagree with both sides. We don’t know what was happening and I haven’t watched any videos so I’m not going to judge either way. That being said, as a police officer we are taught that if an active shooter situation there are two things to remember. 1) If there is active shooting you and your backup go as quickly as possible to the sounds of gunfire. 2) If there is no or sporadic shooting you have to take your time to approach the area because you can’t help anyone if you’re dead. Now that being said if it did take the officers 45 minutes to approach the shooter that was too long UNLESS it was a hostage situation and more lives could have been lost than saved. Would I give my life for the life of a teacher/ educator and or a child? Yes without a doubt but I would try my best to take the shooter with me. I have grandchildren in schools and I would do anything to make sure of their safety or any child. Not all police are power hungry assholes and not all situations can go the way YOU think it should go. If there were screw ups then there will be hearings to point fingers and blame. If you weren’t there you can’t rightfully judge without all the information. Unless of course you’re a narcissistic ******* yourself or God.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    What I've learned from the various press conferences.

Three police officers at the scene DID immediately follow the shooter into the building. All three retreated under fire.
    The Police Chief of The Schools decided EARLY to transition from an Active Shooter, to a Barricaded Suspect.
    They did not enter again for about three quarters of an hour.
    Why was 'chief of the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Police Department' in charge of this situation ?
    No offense, but 'Police Chief of a School' system in a small town like Uvalde is probably not the most qualified person to be making tactical decisions.

Mistakes?

Everything necessary to prevent this tragedy was in place at that school. It failed because:

The SRO was not on his post.
    If a SRO needs to leave his/her post, they should not do so until properly relieved.

A teacher breached the perimeter when she propped open the door the shooter used to enter. That door was designed to close and lock automatically for a reason.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Motor, I read everything in this thread. I answered the reply you directed toward me. In all honesty, I took your comment about me changing as the obvious. You’ve openly categorized me as a cop hater in the past and I’m pretty sure that’s what you meant. Im the same as I always was, I assure you, but I’ve never been a cop hater. I do reserve the right to oppose any person or situation I deem to be wrong, however. Any opposition on my part is on a case by case basis and doesn’t affect the way I feel about any other person or group of people. So when I say, judge me if you want, I mean that I could care less what you think of me for my beliefs. After all, your beliefs don’t affect mine. That being said, nothing about the incident in Texas is a reflection on you and you shouldn’t take it personally if I’m displeased with the actions of that group of people.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Didn’t pay much attention to anything but the video or the fact that it’s on snopes, so make your own call. I guess we can take this at face value until another value presents itself. This was the police spokesperson on scene after all …
    Pay attention at about the 1:30 mark.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/officers-rescued-own-children-texas/

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Motor, I read everything in this thread. I answered the reply you directed toward me. In all honesty, I took your comment about me changing as the obvious. You’ve openly categorized me as a cop hater in the past and I’m pretty sure that’s what you meant. Im the same as I always was, I assure you, but I’ve never been a cop hater. I do reserve the right to oppose any person or situation I deem to be wrong, however. Any opposition on my part is on a case by case basis and doesn’t affect the way I feel about any other person or group of people. So when I say, judge me if you want, I mean that I could care less what you think of me for my beliefs. After all, your beliefs don’t affect mine. That being said, nothing about the incident in Texas is a reflection on you and you shouldn’t take it personally if I’m displeased with the actions of that group of people.

I honestly don’t think you’re a cop hater. You just tend to go full speed ahead when police screw up.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I honestly don’t think you’re a cop hater. You just tend to go full speed ahead when police screw up.

And rightfully so. Police are held to a higher standard. It’s nothing new. I think what pisses a lot of people off is when police are defended by their own regardless of the situation. We see it all the time where cops will screw up royally or break the law and instead of being fired and banned for life from service they just transfer to another community and start over. If we screw up we suffer the consequences and sometimes royally. It should be no different, in fact it should be more severe for LE if anything.

We don’t get second chances and neither should LE. If anything it should be how it is when you screw up in the military. You suffer your consequences from the civilian side and when that’s done you suffer your consequences from Uncle Sam. I don’t mean this in any way as a jab at you. We may have had disagreements in the past but you seem level headed about most situations as far as I see here. Although I’ve considered it at times I’ve never been a cop. As close as I came to LE is working two years with ships naval security forces onboard USS Nimitz and doing some training with local LE.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    And rightfully so. Police are held to a higher standard. It’s nothing new. I think what pisses a lot of people off is when police are defended by their own regardless of the situation. We see it all the time where cops will screw up royally or break the law and instead of being fired and banned for life from service they just transfer to another community and start over.

This.
    I’m not in a hurry to pass judgement on anyone. In fact, the first I heard of the shooting all I thought about was great, they got the monster. There is no world where it’s ok to sit and wait while this guy is in a school full of kids. He’s already shot 20(?) and they think he’s gonna just stop and hold tight? 20 cops on scene and nobody challenged that decision for 45 minutes? Rrrrreal bad decision and shame on whoever was there with a gun and thought it was ok to wait.

On another note, if a teacher there blocked open a security door, hopefully that teacher will be prosecuted. I sincerely doubt it was a one time occurrence and freak coincidence. There is no excuse for bypassing security and leaving innocents at risk.

Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    CENLA
    What I've learned from the various press conferences.

Three police officers at the scene DID immediately follow the shooter into the building. All three retreated under fire.
    The Police Chief of The Schools decided EARLY to transition from an Active Shooter, to a Barricaded Suspect.
    They did not enter again for about three quarters of an hour.
    Why was 'chief of the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Police Department' in charge of this situation ?
    No offense, but 'Police Chief of a School' system in a small town like Uvalde is probably not the most qualified person to be making tactical decisions.

Mistakes?

Everything necessary to prevent this tragedy was in place at that school. It failed because:

The SRO was not on his post.
    If a SRO needs to leave his/her post, they should not do so until properly relieved.

A teacher breached the perimeter when she propped open the door the shooter used to enter. That door was designed to close and lock automatically for a reason.
    In the military you can’t and won’t abandon your post until you are properly relieved, even in the case of an emergency. If the SRO abandoned his post and the teacher propped a secure door open then they are both to blame but there again I wasn’t there so I don’t know for certain. If it is found to be true then I believe both should be found guilty of murder. If the teacher hadn’t left the door propped open then maybe none of this would have happened. A lot of IFS.

Top Bottom