Polishing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I've been following this guy's work and it has me wanting to get two of mine polished. My cz custom shop 97b and AO1-LD. Is there anyone local that can get it done and done right? Won't be anytime soon as I'm sure this won't be cheap. I just want to start saving for it. They are not safe queens but this guy assures me that it won't be a problem shooting them.

https://www.facebook.com/PatriotGunPolishing/

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Ive polished a few of my guns in the past with flitz. Specifically stainless smiths and colt anaconda. Itll show smudges and prints easier. Also if you do decide to go with a nickel finish, just be mindful that its a plating and is not impervious to flaking/chips or certain gun specific cleaning solvents (ie Hoppes 9 and Ballistol).

With that said.... post up before and after pics if you get it done!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you're doing it, because you think it looks neat, go for it.

But if they are not safe queens and you want something durable, this ain't it.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Ive polished a few of my guns in the past with flitz. Specifically stainless smiths and colt anaconda. Itll show smudges and prints easier. Also if you do decide to go with a nickel finish, just be mindful that its a plating and is not impervious to flaking/chips or certain gun specific cleaning solvents (ie Hoppes 9 and Ballistol).

With that said.... post up before and after pics if you get it done!

He did say because it's carbon steel he would polish them and then nickle plate them.....700 each. Idk if i want them nickle plated. Seems that isn't the most durable for a gun that gets used. Ive thought about cerekot but have heard that cz's tend to have pores that show through the cerekot. The a01ld won't have that issue but possibly the 97b.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Cerakote isn't super durable and it's going to wear from going in and out of a holster. If it's not a carry gun or gun you holster often, cerakote will be fine.

I had Reulet Gunworks cerakote my 870 and it's fine, but it has some chips and scrapes from use. My carry guns are all nitride.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Cerakote isn't super durable and it's going to wear from going in and out of a holster. If it's not a carry gun or gun you holster often, cerakote will be fine.

I had Reulet Gunworks cerakote my 870 and it's fine, but it has some chips and scrapes from use. My carry guns are all nitride.

I don't carry them and don't ever plan on holstering either one. I take them to the range, clean them right after and back in the case.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    In that case, Cerakote would be a solid option at a friendly cost. Just make sure you find an applicator that has a good reputation.

IIRC, there was a bozo on here a few years back that screwed up a lot of guns.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Editing post, re-read your original thing for clarification.

Polishing the outside won't have anything to do with shootability, other than maybe blinding yourself and the other guys on the line shooting it outdoors on a sunny way. These parts will be prone to rust, so you'll have to make sure they're oiled/siliconed regularly; if rode hard and put away wet for a long time, theoretically your barrel and slide could rust together.

Theoretically, you could do it yourself. There's really not any magic to it, just patience and hours. 1000-grit followed by flitz on a dremel felt wheel, that's really all there is to it. Many CZ shooters polish the insides of their guns using this method.

I'd practice on something cheap to start with, like the slide and barrel of whatever $250 pistol is within arms reach. How much does this dude charge?

Last edited:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Editing post, re-read your original thing for clarification.

Polishing the outside won't have anything to do with shootability, other than maybe blinding yourself and the other guys on the line shooting it outdoors on a sunny way. These parts will be prone to rust, so you'll have to make sure they're oiled/siliconed regularly; if rode hard and put away wet for a long time, theoretically your barrel and slide could rust together.

Theoretically, you could do it yourself. There's really not any magic to it, just patience and hours. 1000-grit followed by flitz on a dremel felt wheel, that's really all there is to it. Many CZ shooters polish the insides of their guns using this method.

I'd practice on something cheap to start with, like the slide and barrel of whatever $250 pistol is within arms reach. How much does this dude charge?

To polish and nickel plate is $700 each one....I've decided not to do it. I was never the one to spend big money on making something look good without any sort of function and in this case there would be nothing in function. $700 is a huge investment, IMO, for something that is only addimg all show.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I've been following this guy's work and it has me wanting to get two of mine polished. My cz custom shop 97b and AO1-LD. Is there anyone local that can get it done and done right? Won't be anytime soon as I'm sure this won't be cheap. I just want to start saving for it. They are not safe queens but this guy assures me that it won't be a problem shooting them.

https://www.facebook.com/PatriotGunPolishing/

I gave up shiny things. I recommend matte hard chrome or a new gen plating if you like shiny. Polished stainless is great but it is a finger print nightmare, and it's super easy to scuff it. If it's a safe queen go for it.

Top Bottom