Precision...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Well, I have mixed feelings on Precision. There are some very cool and friendly employees, and some that are complete jerks.

I have been shooting there off & on for years, when the old owners were there...and the ones before the last owners.

Last week I was shopping for a SA XD .45. One of the employees let me shoot his, I just had to buy ammo & they didnt even charge me rental fees...very nice. Granted, the employee that let me shoot his gun never said a word to me, never made eye contact with me, and didnt crack a smile a single time when I was talking. He still let me use his gun. His co-worker Chuck was helpful and friendly though.

Chuck told me to call Kevin to order the gun...I called Kevin. "I"d like to order a SA XD .45 4" and a 3" Subcompact .9mm"...he told me "OH man, I dont know if I can even get them...they are in such high demand, I've looked everywhere and cant find anywhere to order them, but give me your number anyway and I'll check it out." He was FoS and I knew it immediately, they are everywhere...in Precision's display, at Jim's...if a place carries Springfield Armory they have those 2 models. And of course, he never called me back.

So...I went to Jim's, checked out the guns...got the price down.
    But I -still- wanted to give Precision my business b/c Chuck set me up to test the gun there.

So I went back to Precision, saw the guns in the case...told them that Jim's was $20 cheaper and asked if they could match the price. Well 4 people started harping on me "Oh I dont believe you, naw I dont believe it...they arent cheaper than us." So I offered to drive them there, call Jim's, or take pictures...of course they didnt take me up. One of them goes to the back to see if they can match prices...he comes back "We can take $10 off." Bruce, or Wade...one of the owners, has glasses & is in his 40-50's, interrupts him..."We can, but I'm not"...

I said ok, thanks...

Went across the street to Jim's and bought my gun there.

Now I'm struggling to find a place to shoot that allows me to Rapid Fire when I want. I'm not green, though its been a while since I've really been into my guns, and I'm not a jackass, if I cant hit the target I'm not shooting that way. I've had a stray bullet hit my windshield, it sucked & could have been killed...not doing that to someone else.

Some of the Precision people let me RF, the others dont...I dont know if its because I'm a long haired guy that smiles a lot, or if its just because they are dicks...but I dont like going there.

But I did, again, to shoot...then I asked the same guy that said "We can but I'm not" how much 1000rnds of .45 would run me...$340 for Magtech crap...lol, no thanks.

$250 for 1000 Winchester in the white box...better ammo, better price at Walmart.

When I find another place to shoot I wont be going back there.

It seems like every time I go there one of those people is a complete jerkoff to me. But like I said, there are some VERY cool guys there, they just dont have any authority it seems.

Red Stick Firearms indoor range has a lot of bounce-back...I dont like seeing the round I just shot coming back at me as it tumbles down the lane. Precision has about 50 tons of lead at their back wall and there is no bounce-back, just dont shoot the disks with JHP or you'll occasionally get hit with lead shreds.

If you know of an outdoor range close to BR, or if you have private land...please help me out!

I dont look like your avg Louisiana conservative outdoorsman & firearms enthusiast...but damnit, I'm voting for Dr. Ron Paul, I hunt, fish, can run a trot line, can skin a buck, can make a toothpick out of a raccoon dick, and know how to make squirrel brain stew. I'm not your avg "long haired hippy" either, plus...my hair goes to kids with cancer. I'm just assuming thats why those guys are assholes to me, rather think that than that they are -simply- assholes.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Precision has implemented another change in the policies of the previous owners. Guests of members no longer get any kind of discount.

All the previous owners allowed guests (maximum of two) to shoot for $10, instead of the normal $15 rate, when accompanied by the member. Not now.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I just shot there today for the first time. I called ahead to make sure I could pic up my brass, no problem they said.
    We shot my AR on the rifle side, we had both lanes. 500 rnds later I was told I couldn't go past the rest. That an employee would have to come do it. l bet that won't last long and with the cost of brass I'm not leaving it on the deck.
    It was a good but very expensive place to shoot. I'll go if l have too.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Precision has some awesome people that go shoot there...every time I shoot I meet a person worth talking to or see a local business/restaurant owner that is a friendly face.

Thats the best thing about the place.

jeremyws1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Ruston, LA
    Higher than Jim's? Is that possible?

I see the start of a downward spiral.

Any discounts for women (one of the reasons I liked going there)?

Phaetos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    So...I went to Jim's, checked out the guns...got the price down.

Just how did you manage that little trick? They never meet anyone else's prices or even come close. He sells everything at MSRP and doesn't budge. You know, he won't even do a transfer on a gun that he stocks in the store? It's free money, do the transfer.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    I was at one of my clients today, that are building Cabela's. We got into a discussion of arms and local shops. I frequent Heberts Precission and Jims, just to shop around. I wonder with the big name and all the fanfare that Cabela's is bringing if our down home shops will have to compete. This will be interesting since it is opening before thanksgiving. Precission is the best range so far to go to, but it does slam your visa or mc. At least we're not force to reckon with Gretna guns range down in a New Orleans basement....

I saw Will's reply from Red Stick. gonna have to check it out.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    OSHA is about to ruin all small business and retail ammunition/reloading sales. They're redefining "Explosives" and its pretty drastic. We're about to have some serious price gouging and price hikes. Primers, Powders, Ammo...etc, all must be handled by federally licensed people, the police and fire departments have to be on hand during shipment unloading, and the items have to be sold/stocked by people with Federally licensed explosives handlers. Also the stores may not have -any- combustible supplies, including cleaning supplies for sales or store maintenance. Check the OSHA website for the proposal, they are taking comments until July 12.

Stuff is cheaper online anyway, but shipping is going to get WAY more expensive, and of course...the price gouging will be immense. Having to call the police & fire departments to get things dropped off a your house is probably going to keep shipping companies from handling them at all though.

This is another step in getting rid of the 2nd amendment.

The final blow is in the works...
    The RFID chip will soon be placed in manufactured gun parts as well, which will only allow the owner to use the gun and that owner can be "turned off" with the click of a Feds mouse. This is about 5-10yrs off still, so keep your old guns. ;) Not to mention the RFID chip, which will be in the National ID card (REAL ID) which starts being issued in May 2008, can also freeze assets and turn a person into a "non-citizen" with the click of a button.

Welcome to the real world today. The RFID chip is already placed on most manufactured items in the EU, its the size of a grain of sand.

What I meant by "got the price down" at Jims, was I wrote the price down...I'm sorry. And yeah Precision was $20 more than their standard retail price.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom