Proper location to mount my red dot on rail? *pics*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Narco suggested that I mount my Burris Fast Fire red dot scope on the rail in a location that was close to the center of the bolt. Are there any pros/cons to mounting it here and why is this a good location for it? Not that Narco is wrong, I just would like to know why this is a prime location to mount for some people. Nearly all of my shooting with this gun will be 50 yards or shorter. Thanks.

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    That's where I have mine. I notice in the Trijicon ads the Reflex ACOGs are all the way at the front, though. I prefer it where yours is.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I dont think there is a right or wrong answer but a personal preference, now if you are putting a magnifier NVG or something else then upfront would be needed. My M68 is centered only because I am like Monk with certain things:rofl::rofl::rofl:it helps my OCD

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I prefer mine as far forward as possible. It allows me to see more of whats around me. Other than that, there is no right or wrong answer.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I prefer mine as far forward as possible. It allows me to see more of whats around me. Other than that, there is no right or wrong answer.

Another reason is, the further away from your eye it is, the smaller the dot will seem. Helps a little with accuracy.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Forward to leave room for the buis.... especially if you're like me and don't have a full length rail.

The housing its in has a rear BUIS, but I also have a YHM BUIS that I could place back there on the rail. IDK which is better, to use the BUIS on the red dot housing and have it all the way forward, or use the YMH BUIS and keep that one rearward and keep the red dot all the way forward and not use the BUIS on the housing at all.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    You look straight through the glass of the red dot, and it shouldnt interfere to a large extent. I mean yes it will be visible in your line of sight but not interfere.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That's tricky...I like my red dot in the middle or a little more forward, but my iron sight as far back as possible. That setup makes you compromise one way or another. If you have an actual BUIS, I'd mount it all the way back and forget about the integrated one.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom