Propossed Bowhunting/Firearm law change

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I was there to testify on this bill this morning. It passed with an amendment to not disallow the wildlife and fisheries from being able to regulate on wildlife management areas.

DWF had representatives there fully in support of the bill with that one amendment. They are not worried about an enforcement issue, they are worried about the safety of other hunters not having hunters orange on during bow season. We will probably see a stipulation on wildlife management areas that you will be allowed to carry handguns, but not long guns.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I was there to testify on this bill this morning. It passed with an amendment to not disallow the wildlife and fisheries from being able to regulate on wildlife management areas.

DWF had representatives there fully in support of the bill with that one amendment. They are not worried about an enforcement issue, they are worried about the safety of other hunters not having hunters orange on during bow season. We will probably see a stipulation on wildlife management areas that you will be allowed to carry handguns, but not long guns.

I am all for that on WMA, safety first.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If I'm reading that right it's not specifying rifle or pistol. So a bowhunter would be able to carry a rifle? Is that right? This must be stemming from the hog problem. Otherwise what's the point?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If I'm reading that right it's not specifying rifle or pistol. So a bowhunter would be able to carry a rifle? Is that right? This must be stemming from the hog problem. Otherwise what's the point?

I read it the same also. The hand gun dosnt bother me, however the rifle does. As Bearco said no one bowhunting is wearing hunter orange.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I read it the same also. The hand gun dosnt bother me, however the rifle does. As Bearco said no one bowhunting is wearing hunter orange.

Who the hell; that is a real bow hunter, is going to tote a damn rifle in the woods along with the other crap? And if you climb on the move, a deer stand? Water bottle? Thermocell? Backpack?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Who the hell; that is a real bow hunter, is going to tote a damn rifle in the woods along with the other crap? And if you climb on the move, a deer stand? Water bottle? Thermocell? Backpack?

Exactly what I was thinking. I have no desire to carry a bow and a rifle around. A handgun would be nice but not a rifle too and I would probably get hung up on a every branch out there. Could you imagine tracking a deer through a briar patch with all that stuff?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Exactly what I was thinking. I have no desire to carry a bow and a rifle around. A handgun would be nice but not a rifle too and I would probably get hung up on a every branch out there. Could you imagine tracking a deer through a briar patch with all that stuff?

No! Edit: I CAN imagine it; that is why it is a stupid idea! ;)

However, that stated; I am all for having the legal option to do it. Should have never been illegal in the first place. But like all senseless and asinine gun laws; it was born from thinking that just because a handful of losers are going to break laws, that it is best to prohibit all!

No sense in taking chances, right?

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner

An idiot thats who ! And their are plenty out there, A real bowhunter No, but that one idiot, I for one don't like the idea of giving them idiot options while I'm stealth in a tree.

You know that one guy that "just wants his rifle to finish them off"

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    An idiot thats who ! And their are plenty out there, A real bowhunter No, but that one idiot, I for one don't like the idea of giving them idiot options while I'm stealth in a tree.

You have answered a Universal Question or as I like to say; Question of the Universe, as to why all law abiding citizens are imposed upon by many overreaching and unnecessary blanketing laws.

Why are we not just eliminating them (idiots)?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    The hog argument is how the bill made it through without limitations yesterday. As posted above any legal Hunter should have the option to carry it, but you will probably never see me with a rifle while bowhunting. Finishing off a deer with a rifle or a handgun would still be illegal if it was bow only season.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The hog argument is how the bill made it through without limitations yesterday. As posted above any legal Hunter should have the option to carry it, but you will probably never see me with a rifle while bowhunting. Finishing off a deer with a rifle or a handgun would still be illegal if it was bow only season.

It's kind of a shame that it didn't make it through without that hog argument; but hey, I guess it's a start.

If it passes into law of the land, I might bring a suppressed .22 with me a few times to dispatch the allowed maximum of corn stealing coons. ;)

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    i didn't see any amendment about different rules for WMA's. How about an amendment to allow hog hunting on WMA's year round with maybe making restrictions as to handgun only if they are worried about deer poachers or maybe allowing primitive weapons to be used.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    i didn't see any amendment about different rules for WMA's. How about an amendment to allow hog hunting on WMA's year round with maybe making restrictions as to handgun only if they are worried about deer poachers or maybe allowing primitive weapons to be used.

I've been saying that for years. They don't want to hurt the bird watchers feelings.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Having just read over the 2015-16 Hunting regs I see nothing about this law change in the regs this year (unless I missed something):mad:

Top Bottom