Protecting property

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I am (Within a matter of weeks)going to be looking for land to build a cabin/house on.

I do not intend to live there full time, although I do intend on living there 'several months out of the year'

I will be paying cash for the property, and paying cash for the house.

It will also be off the grid (I have no interest in giving right of ways to power companies, and as far out as I am looking, it would be cost prohibitive)

My Question:

Concerns 'protecting the property' from Divorce, legal actions etc.
    (I am not married)

I had thought that by forming a General Partnership, with myself 'owning' 1% of the property (Limited partner), and forming a LLC to be the 'General partner'
    (As 'it' would be the majority owner... and not exist excepting in a file, and as the 'owner', my thought was that I would only be able to loose 1% of the value of the property.)

It seems I may be incorrect b/c I would 'own' the LLC, and a court could decide to 'pierce the corporate vale'

Is this accurate?

What are my options?

I could do something like this:
    http://www.howtobeinvisible.com/index.cfm/page/how-to-be-invisible/index.htm

Or I could just go to a Revocable Living trust, but I don't think it is as 'secure' as I want it. (Correct me if I am wrong)

I want the ability to sell it, so a Irrevocable trust is not the way to go.

Other options?

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just don't get married, and you will never have to worry about divorce!

Check with a real estate attorney, because the laws vary state to state, and probably judge to judge.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    REALLY rich people do it with prenups. Prenups, IMHO, indicate you shouldn't be getting married...

Prenuptial agreements need not be terribly complex or expensive. Also, with >50% of marriages ending in divorce, one could argue that you'd be statistically stupid not to have one :D

Top Bottom