Pump action opening when firing express shells

Welcome to Bayou Shooter!

If you are in or near Louisiana, this is the community for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

john17427

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Oct 23, 2010
Baton Rouge
I wanted to get opinions on a Remington 31 pump shotgun I use on a regular basis. The 31 is a precursor to the 870 and several other shotguns in use today. When I fire heavy 2 3/4 loads in it, the action will open on its own anywhere from an inch to almost fully open. I ruled out it being related to recoil and my hand on the slide by firing it without a hand on the slide. Even with that test, the bolt does not go far enough back to eject the shell, but it goes back several inches. A Web search on this phenomena yielded two camps; one says it's working fine and as designed, and some say it isn't. What say you?

yote72571

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jan 10, 2010
Rosie Ar
Just makes the follow up shot quicker. Ithaca 16 gauge still does it to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john17427

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Oct 23, 2010
Baton Rouge
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm kind of torn between whether it's functioning as designed or the action bar lock is worn. The video does show exactly what I'm seeing though. The action opens a good bit when firing heavy loads like his sxp does. I want to try it with light loads and see what it does.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Feb 27, 2012
Livingston
Just makes the follow up shot quicker. Ithaca 16 gauge still does it to this day.

Yup!!! I have an old Ithaca 16g with a poly choke on it and all you do is hold the trigger down, every time pump rides home a shot rides out!!!! lol it does 75% of the pumping for you!!!

AdvancedLaser

Site Sponsor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb 15, 2021
Covington, Louisiana
Keep in mind that bolt lockup is designed to contain a pretty healthy explosion. Why not stop by Reulet Gunworks and get them to look at the internal component parts and opine on its condition. Having an OOB detonation is quite a bad experience.

yote72571

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jan 10, 2010
Rosie Ar
Keep in mind that bolt lockup is designed to contain a pretty healthy explosion. Why not stop by Reulet Gunworks and get them to look at the internal component parts and opine on its condition. Having an OOB detonation is quite a bad experience.

Is it not the same as a .22 with blow back design ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roponop
Top Bottom