Purchasing a used Bow and new to archery

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I developed an itch for a bow to do some recreational shooting in the back yard. I'm also newbie when it comes to the bow. I like to buy/trade used to save some $$$ so that the hit will not be so bad if I decide it is not for me. So I see all of the compound bows on this site and craigslist but I am unsure of what I am getting. Measuring my wing span and using the formula I am looking at around a 28" draw. Also from what I have been reading I'd be better off starting with something in the 60-70lbs draw weight. Are the Mathews bows that are popping up on craigslist worth anything? Should I just find a PSE or Bowtech setup. I really wouldn't mine finding someone willing to trade a nice setup for a p229 as cash is a little low right now. I'm in Denham Springs so the closest big box store is Bass Pro. I'm going to head over there today and look around.

willb5678

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I went to Bass Pro last week and got fitted for a bow. Got the whole package(bow, sight, whisker biscuit, quiver) for 500.00, then dropped another 200 on arrows and broadheads haha. Their archery dept is much more helpful than the gun counter though. They also have cheaper packages but nothing used..

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I shoot Hoyt. I want a Bowtech or Mathews. Can't go wrong with either 3. Get an archery shop to cut yourself new arrows to your proper length and adjust the bow to your proper draw length.

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Willb which one did you go with? There was only one person working when I went tonight and he had a line. I looked around didn't see too much that caught my eye. They all seemed kinda small or I was expecting the bows to be a little longer. Appreciate the responses.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Willb which one did you go with? There was only one person working when I went tonight and he had a line. I looked around didn't see too much that caught my eye. They all seemed kinda small or I was expecting the bows to be a little longer. Appreciate the responses.

Unless you want to go old school and shoot a recurve, the holy grail of all seasoned bow hunters is a smaller, just as lethal bow!

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Check out A1 Archery on Greenwell Springs road by Sullivan. The bowtech there can really help you and they have some nice new bows and also some used ones. You probably don't want to go too high dollar on equipment in case its not for you as you can't get your money back out of bows like you can with firearms. You can also get some good deals on new bows at Sportsmansguide.com and then bring it in to the bow shop to get fitted with a rest, sight, peep, etc. Also check out Archerytalk.com for ideas on what kind of bow you want and the various shortcomings. The Mission bows made by Mathews are some good choices as are the Bowtech. Try to get one that you can adjust the draw weight and poundage on the bow without having to buy modules.

Last edited:

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    hunter thanks for the reply. I forgot about the place in central. I've passed by there for 25 years lol. My price range is under $500 and have narrowed the brand down to Bowtech and Mathews. I've been checking craigslist and sprotsmansguide. They seem a little high from what I've seen on ArcheryTalk. I am a little leery of buying used as I don't really know what bad stuff to look for in a used bow. On the other hand I know I can save a little money on a used vs new one. I'll swing by A1 Archery Friday after work.
    Thanks for the referral

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Unless you want to go old school and shoot a recurve, the holy grail of all seasoned bow hunters is a smaller, just as lethal bow!

You must love the Liberty line of bows
    Bwahhhh!!!

Most mfg are going to(for the past 15 years or so)a more parallel limb design than old school compound bows.
    I've had 2 Matthews bows and am 100% satisfied.
    In that price range you could pick up a used rigged Matthews SQ2 add a new string and a few arrows/ broad heads and your set.

Mark Leach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Many La.
    Recurve is nice I have a pse impala I bought from sportsman guide wood arrows and everything to put points on them and shoot compound if you just starting look at pawn shops but if your serious it is best to go and get a proper set up it is all about practice and mechanics

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    I was just at A1 this saturday great people and very helpful they will help you in anyway possible. Way better than bass pro in my opinion. I would try there first.

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Justin yes they are. I ended up with a black bowtech assassin. Really nice bow for the $$. There are a couple of things I want to do to it, but they are on my christmas list.

Top Bottom