Question about CHP for non-citizen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Gday guys. I have a question regarding CHP's for non-citizens. I'm not a citizen of the U.S, but I am a legal permanent resident. I've been living here for 4 years now, and have gone through the green card process twice (once for the initial 2 year conditional phase, and then again for the removal of the conditional classification). I've been thinking more and more about applying for a CHP for myself. My question is, are permanent residents allowed to obtain a CHP? Or is it available for citizens only? Thanks for any help.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    Saves me an attempted phone call and not having anyone understand me cos of the accent. Thanks! Is there any additional paperwork or anything involved for non-citizens?

As far as I can tell, the short answer is "No".

Here's a link to the latest revision (R 02/13) of the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Application Packet. The app is a .PDF file that you can print, as well as save a copy to your computer. The last page is a "Required Documents Checklist"...

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chapplication.pdf

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    As far as I can tell, the short answer is "No".

Here's a link to the latest revision (R 02/13) of the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Application Packet. The app is a .PDF file that you can print, as well as save a copy to your computer. The last page is a "Required Documents Checklist"...

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chapplication.pdf

Thanks for the info. Only part I'd be unsure about there is "Certified True Copies of court minutes as requested in *Arrest, Detention, and
    Litigation Section.* I have had no problems at all while I've been here, but I do have a DUI conviction back home from 2001. Would I have to therefore declare this?

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    Thanks for the info. Only part I'd be unsure about there is "Certified True Copies of court minutes as requested in *Arrest, Detention, and
    Litigation Section.* I have had no problems at all while I've been here, but I do have a DUI conviction back home from 2001. Would I have to therefore declare this?

I'd ask them. I'm not sure if the backgroud check goes international, but since you aren't a citizen it may. Safe bet would be to get the disposition of that faxed to you here from back home and declare it just in case?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    If you answer "yes" to any questions 7-12 (which you will have to do), then you must provide documentation. I have no clue if they can see international arrest records, but lying on this form is a criminal offense. Your DUI in 2001 will not prevent you from obtaining a CHP, but it still must be listed and documented.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Does anyone know of an alien who has been issued a CHP?

I would think citizens of Canada and Oz would be better situated than those from Kirghistan.

It's good that the DUI was 12y ago. I believe the rule of thumb is 5y for it and going thru treatment for drugs/alcohol.

Have you talked with the CHP people?

Glockrunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Good grief who let an aussie in? Next they'll be tellin' us how to BBQ and what decent beer tastes like. :p Decent beer comes from 'across the ditch' from Aus. anyway :D

In the eyes of the laws covering guns LPR's are treated equally to citizens. I presume the DUI didn't meet the threshold of F4473 Q7.c?

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Good grief who let an aussie in? Next they'll be tellin' us how to BBQ and what decent beer tastes like. :p Decent beer comes from 'across the ditch' from Aus. anyway :D

In the eyes of the laws covering guns LPR's are treated equally to citizens. I presume the DUI didn't meet the threshold of F4473 Q7.c?

Probably showing my ignorance here but what is the threshold of F4473 Q7.c?

Glockrunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Dang that should have been Question 11.c on the 4473 form to purchase. Sorry for the confusion.

While your DUI was in another country Part C of question 11 asks ".... or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?" The question says 'any court' so it's covering you as an individual in any country you've been to. Even if the Aussie DUI carried more than a year (which from memory they are close to my 'native' standards and not even close to a year) in jail the instructions for 11.c allow a 'no' answer if they are meet.

Kind of a moot point as you have the gun :) Carry permit shouldn't be an issue.

None of this post is intended to be, or should be read as any sort of legal advice.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Dang that should have been Question 11.c on the 4473 form to purchase. Sorry for the confusion.

While your DUI was in another country Part C of question 11 asks ".... or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?" The question says 'any court' so it's covering you as an individual in any country you've been to. Even if the Aussie DUI carried more than a year (which from memory they are close to my 'native' standards and not even close to a year) in jail the instructions for 11.c allow a 'no' answer if they are meet.

Kind of a moot point as you have the gun :) Carry permit shouldn't be an issue.

None of this post is intended to be, or should be read as any sort of legal advice.

No jail time and no probation. I had my driver's license suspended and a fine. That was all.

Top Bottom