Question about comments in classifieds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Quick question. I understand not allowing comments regarding offers, price too high etc but if it’s a logical question such as what brand, barrel length, etc why not allow it to be asked in the sale thread? I’m sure other interested buyers and probably the seller would appreciate the answer to question like that.

I attempted to reply to the moderator and ask this but the system won’t allow it for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Quick question. I understand not allowing comments regarding offers, price too high etc but if it’s a logical question such as what brand, barrel length, etc why not allow it to be asked in the sale thread? I’m sure other interested buyers and probably the seller would appreciate the answer to question like that.

I attempted to reply to the moderator and ask this but the system won’t allow it for some reason.

The new warning system allows the mod to create a conversation but disable the person's ability to reply. I like it because I can present information without having to get into a big discussion. Sure, the other person can start a new conversation with me but that's more work than just hitting reply and it seems most people don't want to bother.

As far as the comments, I can see a couple of reasons why logical questions would not be allowed. It would add more work having to explain to people why their "logical" question was actually kinda dumb. And it would allow people to bump their ads multiple times per day. I post the ad. It gets put at the top of the list. You ask a question. It goes back to the top of the list. I answer the question. It goes back to the top of the list.

If it could be customized, posts in the classified section would only get bumped when the OP replies. That way the questions wouldn't bump the post and the OP could edit their post to answer the question and only reply to bump their post once each day.

I like the idea of replies in the classified section. I pushed for it the last time it came back. But I also admitted defeat when too many people were messing it up.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I get the bumping to the top, maybe it can be set to bump one time daily no matter the amount of replies. As much stuff that is said and allowed on the site, I can’t see it really mattering.

Aren’t relies on now?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Would not a simple PM provide what you may be asking for?

Well of course it would, but a question posed and answered in open forum would keep 20 others from having to send the same PM. Right?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Because we tried it and members do not play nice. It is a disaster.
    Also Ads would be pushed down and down, instead of being bumped once per day.
    We have a button the sends a PM!
    Pretty simple click name, click on start conversation (PM) ask a question or make an offer.
    We do not need open offers It ends up like an auction style.
    Plus all the rude postings to ads.
    We even have member's post and say buy mine instead with info.
    Don't buy this get this one instead of the one offered! Look here's one cheaper with a link.
    We don't need a Market Place like the tint thread.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Because we tried it and members do not play nice. It is a disaster.
    Also Ads would be pushed down and down, instead of being bumped once per day.
    We have a button the sends a PM!
    Pretty simple click name, click on start conversation (PM) ask a question or make an offer.
    We do not need open offers It ends up like an auction style.
    Plus all the rude postings to ads.
    We even have member's post and say buy mine instead with info.
    Don't buy this get this one instead of the one offered! Look here's one cheaper with a link.
    We don't need a Market Place like the tint thread.

You kind of made my point. What makes classifieds and tint threads different. If you allow garbage and a free for all discussion in one why not let it go in the other? Just turn off unlimited bumps and set it to 1 per 24hrs if possible.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Because the Market Place is not a disscussion forum. It is a place to sell, buy, trade.
    So you want the adversiments ruined too?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Because the Market Place is not a disscussion forum. It is a place to sell, buy, trade.
    So you want the adversiments ruined too?

I get that, I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I’m a member of other sites that allow it and it’s not horrible. Maybe they axe a lot of people when they post dumb things in the classifieds and I just don’t see it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I agree. Do I get to determine if someone's an idiot? I've been on other sites as well and their marketplace hasn't turned into a free for all.

I don’t know what the mod rules are but I’d think y’all would take a vote. That’s the way I’d do it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Where else can you buy a used firearm at retail + 20%, cause it only been shot 50 times and comes with a uncle mikes holster??????

giphy.gif

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don’t know what the mod rules are but I’d think y’all would take a vote. That’s the way I’d do it.

Do I get a vote? If so, I have a nice list LOL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom