Question about kershaw speedsafe not as easy after cleaning.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Got a leek speedsafe a couple weeks ago. Cleaned it good with soap and water for first time. Lightly oiled per instructions. It then didn't open as easily as before. So I rewashed it. Actually works a little better dry! But still not as easy as before. It used to flick open solidly with just fingerbefore now it doesn't seat open unless you give a little flip at same time. Any ideas or experience?

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Mine has been through hell and back, never washed, except for a rinsing in the sink. Never oiled. Still functions fine. If you can't get it to work send it to Kershaw and they'll gladly fix it or replace it. My dealings with their customer service has been excellent.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Thanks man. I just found links to a pic of one taken apart and it must just be my imagination after seeing how it functions.

So far I love it. Such a hard choice every morning to carry the leek or my spyderco endura.

Last edited:

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    Almost all of my knives are kershaw. I use them for work, hunting, every-day stuff, etc. I have never washed or oiled any of them. some are 3 +/- years old with no problems.

Kershaw has great customer service too, from what I hear. Give them a call/email.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I love them. I have one of the speed openers with the tanto blade for work.
    http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=85&brand=kershaw

It's been through hell and back. Funny story that starts out sad, I went on a call with a 12 year old male shot in the black. It was a 38 special round. The bullet must've across his left shoulder blade and deflected across in the muscles his back and exited next the right shoulder. I say the bullet must've flattened out skipping across the bone because it left a huge exit wound. Much bigger than normal even for the dreaded 45 acp in the case.

Anyway so I cut the kid's shirt off with my knife and put the knife closed in my pocket. After the call I forgot to clean it up. The next day I'm in Accurate Arms and Police Supply. I pull out my knife to show someone and see all the blood covering it. I said without thinking loudly, "Damn I forgot to clean that kid's blood off of my knife!"

You could've heard a pin drop. Half the customers were cops who knew me. They started laughing first figuring out what I meant before I explained myself. But for a split second they thought they had a spontaneous confession right there.

Dave

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I had one that I dropped in the mother in law's dirt drivewy and lost for a few months last spring. The thing got run over and left in the mud that whole time.

When I happened to spy a glint in the ground and dug it out it was still sharp and working.

That said, if it needs a cleaning, make sure to put it together right, and not to over-tighten the pivot screw. I use a little dab of synthetic reel grease on the washer myself, and that seems to work wonderfully.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Dats funny **** dave.

Thank LAC. Ive read on blade forums and seen disassembled pics now (i was curious how it worked) and read that about the pivot screw.

Top Bottom