Question about US Postal Carrier Vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Why is it that they are exempt from having any type of registration, i.e. Inspection sticker and Tag???

That is one of the only Government vehicles that does not have such.

Why?

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Why is it that they are exempt from having any type of registration, i.e. Inspection sticker and Tag???

Why?

Not that this is going to help a whole lot but I believe it has something to do with it being a federal vehicle. i used to know this answer in more detail but I can't seem to remember. Like military vehicles that are on the road, they also don't have registration, plate, etc.

You got me interested though, I might research this one...

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    All I can think of is 1960 my drivers ed. teacher said " If a fire truck, police car, ambulance and postal vehicle all meet at an intersection at the same time ,the mail truck has the right away. " The mail has to go through, I know this doesn't answer your question, but the pony express was one of the first org. authorized in this country .

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Why?

Umm, i'm pretty sure any .gov vehicle is exempt from inspection sticker and is issued in-house .gov plates.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    They are identified by a seven digit number displayed on the front and rear.
    I'm sure they are inspected annually, but not registered as such via state agency.

Don't know that one but I was told in my FF driving class that is the only vehicle allowed to legally run a red light

Nope....and here's how some of those rumors were started:
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/fourway.asp

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    I would willing to bet that the inspection stickers are considered a state tax, and I am pretty sure that the state governments are not allowed to tax the fed.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Umm, i'm pretty sure any .gov vehicle is exempt from inspection sticker and is issued in-house .gov plates.

See, that is tricky...

Look at all of the official vehicles of the FBI, DEA, USMS (I'm talking about Crown Vics and Tahoe's) and they have plates. Even some of them have Govn't Plates (the ones that start with g12, g14, etc).

A postal vehicle being able to run a red light is really irreverent unless he gets into a wreck, then what?
    Everything I've searched says that they do not have tags; HOWEVER, rural mail carriers using their personal cars are required to have?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    See, that is tricky...

Look at all of the official vehicles of the FBI, DEA, USMS (I'm talking about Crown Vics and Tahoe's) and they have plates. Even some of them have Govn't Plates (the ones that start with g12, g14, etc).

A postal vehicle being able to run a red light is really irreverent unless he gets into a wreck, then what?
    Everything I've searched says that they do not have tags; HOWEVER, rural mail carriers using their personal cars are required to have?

Yea, I don't know. You're right, its the .gov, they can do what they want with no rhyme or reason! :D

My dad works for GSA and has a truck. No registration, no inspection sticker, and .gov plates.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007

Why?

I don't think most military vehicles have them either, I speaking of the cars and pickup trucks used in day to day business. The Fed. Gov. is self insured.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    All I can think of is 1960 my drivers ed. teacher said " If a fire truck, police car, ambulance and postal vehicle all meet at an intersection at the same time ,the mail truck has the right away. " The mail has to go through, I know this doesn't answer your question, but the pony express was one of the first org. authorized in this country .

^^^^ I remember this from my 1982 Drivers Ed class.

I'm pretty sure they are contractors and since not gov't employees, they wouldn't be covered under whatever coverage the PO would have on their trucks.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom