Question for you LEO folks .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    It really should be a requirement for any Leo to have to study law for a certain amount of time. I’m not saying attend law school but I think they should have a good 12-24 months of studying the law and being tested on it as well as updated training at least quarterly.

How can someone enforce laws when they know about as much as the general public knows? That aspect never did make sense to me.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    You would have to check the laws of your state, but that being said, are you aware that ONLY 19 states require an education higher than a high school diploma, ged or equivalency exam in order to be a cop? Also in seeing videos of auditors interactions with cops, I have to wonder how a department allows their officers to be that fat!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Your asking Leo’s for advice about the law?...... no offense to anyone, but Leo’s go through a 6 month course to qualify for their job....... most of them make up laws as they go. The only job with less qualification is a meteorologist..... “Eh, he looked at me wrong so I’m going to stop and demand he identify himself”.... we’ll make up some crap to intimidate this person into believing they’ll be arrested until they give me id....... let’s even threaten him with “failure to identify” even though that’s a secondary law, and can only be charged with that if there is some type of crime that precedes it. Or if your driving.... Soooo, my answer, is make them id you, that way they have to answer in court on why your civil rights was trampled over like an Iraqi flag during the gulf war. PSA to all you Leos!!!!!!
    Yep. This. Cops are stupid.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As I have a great respect for those guys, it is generally understood, and I was told this by a lawyer, Not all, but MOST police officers know just enough about the law to be dangerous to the public.
    I can tell you from personal experience I have seen multiple instances where people have ended up going to prison specifically because they followed the legal advice of a lawyer who did not have a full understanding of the law and gave bad legal advice. So I would say that hearing it from a lawyer does not prove or disprove anything about the knowledge of police officers.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    As I have a great respect for those guys, it is generally understood, and I was told this by a lawyer, Not all, but MOST police officers know just enough about the law to be dangerous to the public.
    And would you trust this lawyer to represent you in court?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Your asking Leo’s for advice about the law?...... no offense to anyone, but Leo’s go through a 6 month course to qualify for their job....... most of them make up laws as they go. The only job with less qualification is a meteorologist..... “Eh, he looked at me wrong so I’m going to stop and demand he identify himself”.... we’ll make up some crap to intimidate this person into believing they’ll be arrested until they give me id....... let’s even threaten him with “failure to identify” even though that’s a secondary law, and can only be charged with that if there is some type of crime that precedes it. Or if your driving.... Soooo, my answer, is make them id you, that way they have to answer in court on why your civil rights was trampled over like an Iraqi flag during the gulf war. PSA to all you Leos!!!!!!

Hell yeah, this is post of the month!!!!!

FTP!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I have a question. What do I do if someone texts me with a picture of a Glock with a full auto switch on it? Then he sends me a picture of his expired in 2021 military ID card.,.. Do I turn him in? It’s a local phone number where I live… Any help is appreciated.

Snitches
    Get stitches.

Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Tioga, Louisiana
    In the revised statute I believe it said you have to identify yourself if you are arrested or detained. If an officer of the law acting in the color of law and not harassing individuals for no reason has the right to detain you for questioning and do a Terry search or pat-down in order to make sure you have no weapons hidden. Like I said, if the officer is acting within the color of the law. If you feel he or she has violated your rights in any way you may wish to be inconvenienced and be arrested then ask for a lawyer to be present. You can not be refused. Now, will there be a case for wrongful arrest? Maybe but the best and easiest way to get back on your way without being detained any longer than necessary is just inform the officer of who you are and that is all. You don’t have to tell the officer where you came from or where you are going. If you do everything respectfully the officer can still arrest you but if you have done nothing wrong let them arrest you. If you don’t resist he can’t hold that over you, and you can still file suit for wrongful arrest. Use your own common sense.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh wow. I’d heard a few times over the years that this exists but never with a public record for evidence. Scary to think they prefer to hire on the less intelligent side to police the people. Somehow, I’m not convinced it’s purely for employee retention. There are so many other ways to keep employees from leaving. Hopefully it’s just an isolated ideology and won’t spread across the country. God forbid they start practicing this in our military.
    Tested in upper elementary school, my quotient was 136. From a personal perspective I can say that one’s IQ doesn’t mean anything without common sense and an education.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I treat all people that work within the Legal system the same whether its a cop, lawyer, judge, or even just a secretary. I respect everybody, but trust nobody.
    So why even post the lawyers statement if you wouldn’t trust him/her?

Didn’t you attempt to become an LEO at one time?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So why even post the lawyers statement if you wouldn’t trust him/her?

Didn’t you attempt to become an LEO at one time?

I wasn’t going to bring it up, but I thought I remembered something to that effect.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yes sir, I did consider it. I was unemployed and looking for a job. I've considered it several times over the years. Just never could go through with it. I always tend to remind myself, that I don't like people enough, I don't have the patience for what they deal with, and I have a severe personal issue with not being able to/knowing how, to show compassion for others. Seriously, I suck at it. Me and my wife went magnet fishing today. She fell off the pier at a boat launch, and I cracked up laughing. Yeah, she wasn't to happy about it.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Oh wow. I’d heard a few times over the years that this exists but never with a public record for evidence. Scary to think they prefer to hire on the less intelligent side to police the people. Somehow, I’m not convinced it’s purely for employee retention. There are so many other ways to keep employees from leaving. Hopefully it’s just an isolated ideology and won’t spread across the country. God forbid they start practicing this in our military.
    Tested in upper elementary school, my quotient was 136. From a personal perspective I can say that one’s IQ doesn’t mean anything without common sense and an education.
    The article is about an incident that happened over 20 years ago in a small town of less than 30,000 people. Unless there are other articles floating around, it doesn't appear this is a trend that has caught on.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes sir, I did consider it. I was unemployed and looking for a job. I've considered it several times over the years. Just never could go through with it. I always tend to remind myself, that I don't like people enough, I don't have the patience for what they deal with, and I have a severe personal issue with not being able to/knowing how, to show compassion for others. Seriously, I suck at it. Me and my wife went magnet fishing today. She fell off the pier at a boat launch, and I cracked up laughing. Yeah, she wasn't to happy about it.

Someone could be an effective cop even without liking people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom