Quiet/Silent Lighter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    So unfortunately I like smoky treats, but I haven't been able to find a lighter that doesn't make noise when lit. BICs and similar, as well as flip lighters are too loud. Looked at those arc lighters but they make a sizzling sound that's too loud as well. Wondering if there is a simple heating element-type lighter that runs off a lithium battery or something I could use.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2019
    Farmerville, LA
    You hunting out of a tree stand or ??? When I'm in my box blind I light cigs all the time with both regular and arc lighters while watching deer in the lane. It's way quieter than that little buddy heater I run when it's cold.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    You hunting out of a tree stand or ??? When I'm in my box blind I light cigs all the time with both regular and arc lighters while watching deer in the lane. It's way quieter than that little buddy heater I run when it's cold.
    Doing both. In the blind (mine is a padded plasticy kind of material) it probably sounds 10x louder than it actually is, but my hunting buddy sure gets that annoyed look regardless.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I don't know of anything quieter, but I think the sound of the lighter matters way less than the smell of the smoke.

Your deer may be different than mine but I've found you have to make more noise than you'd guess to move the needle if the wind is in your favor.

If they wind ISN'T in your favor, I can't imagine the smoke is going to do any worse than the loudest lighter. One of my shooting buddies uses a lucky Zippo from time to time and he kills the poop out of everything, but I'd never be in a smoky blind...

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't know of anything quieter, but I think the sound of the lighter matters way less than the smell of the smoke.

Your deer may be different than mine but I've found you have to make more noise than you'd guess to move the needle if the wind is in your favor.

If they wind ISN'T in your favor, I can't imagine the smoke is going to do any worse than the loudest lighter. One of my shooting buddies uses a lucky Zippo from time to time and he kills the poop out of everything, but I'd never be in a smoky blind...
    I blow out a partially loosed strap next to me, so it doesn't fill the blind. As far as smoke alerting deer, apparently that is a very old, very open-ended question mark that no one's ever given a definitive on. Deer have been confirmed to ignore it, but no idea if that's because they're near a trail/human habitation or other factor where it doesn't trigger a fear response, or whether those same deer would be alerted if they smelled it deep in the woods. Same argument as for campfire smoke - no idea if they just don't care, or because hunting often takes place near-ish to camping grounds and they're used to it in that area.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Deer may not alert to a particular scent but they absolutely do associate certain smells with humans. Some deer may appear to ignore a smell, but how can we know what they’re thinking? And most importantly, a deer that smells smoke and never shows his hide is likely the big buck you’ve never seen and don’t even know exists. I used to take decent deer every season since my teenhood, but it wasn’t til my late twenties when I got very serious bow hunting that I started taking trophy deer. Bagging my coveralls, scent removers, UV killers, paying attention to my approach, rainy day hunts, holding my pee, etc, etc and so on. Not to get on my high horse, but skimping on stealth measures is kind of the same as hunters that rarely let deer pass in hopes of shooting something nicer. Same end result. A 140-160 P&Y or B&C buck is likely way smarter than most of the deer you’ve seen in your lifetime.
    Lastly, a deer will always trust their nose way more than those radar dish ears or no depth perception night vision goggles reveal.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    Deer may not alert to a particular scent but they absolutely do associate certain smells with humans. Some deer may appear to ignore a smell, but how can we know what they’re thinking? And most importantly, a deer that smells smoke and never shows his hide is likely the big buck you’ve never seen and don’t even know exists. I used to take decent deer every season since my teenhood, but it wasn’t til my late twenties when I got very serious bow hunting that I started taking trophy deer. Bagging my coveralls, scent removers, UV killers, paying attention to my approach, rainy day hunts, holding my pee, etc, etc and so on. Not to get on my high horse, but skimping on stealth measures is kind of the same as hunters that rarely let deer pass in hopes of shooting something nicer. Same end result. A 140-160 P&Y or B&C buck is likely way smarter than most of the deer you’ve seen in your lifetime.
    Lastly, a deer will always trust their nose way more than those radar dish ears or no depth perception night vision goggles reveal.
    You might be right. But I don't trophy hunt, so P&Y or B&C doesn't matter to me. Only tastiness. So if I wasn't bagging deer I might be inclined to do more than spray scent killer, but if some trophy buck gets away I won't miss it. And yea, I don't generally wait for something nicer either - for me whether or not I take the shot depends on whether I've already bagged something, how clean the shot is (I'm pretty conservative), and whether I still really want to bag a deer or am fine just relaxing and watching. The lighter question is as much for my friend's sake as whether or not it really makes a difference.

You really just hold it? When I gotta go, I gotta go. I just use a 2L Hydrapack - they collapse down really small and fit in your pack, don't make any sound when opening, are really durable and have a large hole that makes them easy to pee in. I just use that and hang it on a carabiner until I get back to camp.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You might be right. But I don't trophy hunt, so P&Y or B&C doesn't matter to me. Only tastiness. So if I wasn't bagging deer I might be inclined to do more than spray scent killer, but if some trophy buck gets away I won't miss it. And yea, I don't generally wait for something nicer either - for me whether or not I take the shot depends on whether I've already bagged something, how clean the shot is (I'm pretty conservative), and whether I still really want to bag a deer or am fine just relaxing and watching. The lighter question is as much for my friend's sake as whether or not it really makes a difference.

You really just hold it? When I gotta go, I gotta go. I just use a 2L Hydrapack - they collapse down really small and fit in your pack, don't make any sound when opening, are really durable and have a large hole that makes them easy to pee in. I just use that and hang it on a carabiner until I get back to camp.
    Cool bro.
    As far as the lighter making noise though, I doubt it’s louder than an acorn hitting the ground. Unless you’re lighting up when a deer is just a few feet away, I doubt you’ll bother them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rb24
    Top Bottom