Recomendatons for 20 Ga Pump for Youth

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Troutmaker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    St. Bernard
    Any reason no one recommended the Remington 1100 in 20ga? I want to get my 14 year old son a shotgun, and that's what I had in mind.
    Giving him anything else would be uncivilized. I got my first LT-20 when I was 13yrs, in 1993 and still hunt with it today. When my son turned 12 a few years back I found a 1100 standard weight that I reconditioned and installed a vent rib barrel on it. I couldn't be happier in the reliability of them, and they are purdy to look at as well.

mmckey2

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2023
    Denham Springs, LA
    Giving him anything else would be uncivilized. I got my first LT-20 when I was 13yrs, in 1993 and still hunt with it today. When my son turned 12 a few years back I found a 1100 standard weight that I reconditioned and installed a vent rib barrel on it. I couldn't be happier in the reliability of them, and they are purdy to look at as well.
    Appreciate it, thats what I’m going to do!

Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    It's time for a 20 gauge shotgun for one of my grandsons. He's already had experience with .22 and .410 now it is time for a general purpose shotgun for squirrel, ducks, deer, etc. His older brother has the 20 ga Mossburg from Academy at $190 but I also see a Stevens 20 ga pump for the same price.

What would be your choice for a 20 ga pump, not necessarily just these, or what to stay away from?

(12 ga and riifles will follow when the boys are older - and for the girls too but they've got a few years yet)
    I've only ever owned Mossberg & Remington pumps for shotgun hunting and have never been seduced by lower prices / performance claims.

I have shot some Turkish made pumps (Weatherby? Some one else but I don't remember the name) but they worked OK. For me it's more about extra barrels and accessory parts I can use too spread the chassis/action usefulness over more disciplines/uses.

If you grandson is still maturing (growing) I'd probably go for something offering butt stock options.

alexla4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2022
    Louisiana
    It's time for a 20 gauge shotgun for one of my grandsons. He's already had experience with .22 and .410 now it is time for a general purpose shotgun for squirrel, ducks, deer, etc. His older brother has the 20 ga Mossburg from Academy at $190 but I also see a Stevens 20 ga pump for the same price.

What would be your choice for a 20 ga pump, not necessarily just these, or what to stay away from?

(12 ga and riifles will follow when the boys are older - and for the girls too but they've got a few years yet)

My only pump is an 870 express 20 ga. The wood is ugly but otherwise it’s superb. I think they (and the 1100) are well-balanced guns and easy to shoot well. I also have recently bought two of the Tristar 20 ga. Autos and im very happy with them. Whether or not they hold up over time remains to be seen. As a side note, both of these guns are surprisingly accurate with rifled slugs and have dovetails on the receivers for mounting optics. Good on you for your efforts.

Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    Any reason no one recommended the Remington 1100 in 20ga? I want to get my 14 year old son a shotgun, and that's what I had in mind.
    Bought one of those for my 1st wife.
    A country girl but tiny so LOP was a bit of an issue. I found an older not-pristine butt stock, shortened it & installed a limb-saver. She shot the hell out of that thing and , when we divorced, I kept the guns.

Swapped back the butt stock and used for probably 20-25 yrs.

Never missed a beat, ever.
    Replaced a recoil spring.

Andrew_Pennington

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2023
    Lafayette Louisiana

I’m a salesman at a gun store out of Lafayette and people ask this all the time. I always recommend the Franchi Affinity 3, it’s semi auto and inertia driven. You can get it in a youth size and swap in the full size furniture when you’re ready. Also chokes are easy to find and the company’s owned by Benelli so you’re getting quality.

Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    Got one of those (28" VR) for my 1st wife.

Oddly I still have it & the 10-22 50+ years after we divorced. It shows wear of course but except for some very minor main. (a spring - always thought it's failure was more age related than use) it has never missed a beat.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Usually has to do with the size & maturity of the shooter, people get worried that kids will accidentally discharge due to recoil and inexperience.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom