Recommendation on a .22 Full Size pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I was just wondering what you would recommend for me to get in a full sized 22 LR automatic pistol. I purchased a Walther P22 about a year ago, and I do not shoot it because I find it to be too small for my hand. Others I have looked into for a bigger .22 are Ruger, S&W, and Browning with the available choices driving me nuts. Can any of you help steer me in the right direction (or further add to my choices and confusion)?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    One vote for the browning...
    The ruger is probably the most popular choice. I passed on the ruger due to the control layout. If I'm going to practice with a .22 then at least the controls (mag release especially) should be in the usual place.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Beretta Neos is another option.
    I paid $200 plus got some $10 mags.
    I'm not sure it will outlast a Browning or Ruger, but I've already gotten my money's worth. I got a 4" barrel to be more like a full-sized carry gun.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    While initially I wanted a Ruger Mark II or III, I've become enamored with this Walther as of late:
    WAP22203.jpg

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I have a Ruger MKI and a MKII both are great guns , but I just love the hell out of my Kimber 22.
    I bought a Kimber 22 upper and a Rock Island frame and built me a nice pistol for about $400.
    Kimber sells the complet gun for something like $600.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Well, I guess I have been looking in the right places. Now I just have to decide between the Ruger, Browning, and Smith and Wesson.

My only question now would be is that Ruger 22/45 still a pain in the ass to take down like the old MK I series?

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Smith Model 41. One of the finest production .22 automatics ever made hands down.
    Smith 41 is great but pricey. I have a Ruger MKII Competition Target. Its stainless steel ,has factory thumbrest grips and a slabsided 6 7/8" bull barrel.
    It also has a great trigger OOB. Very accurate. I have no problem with the disassembly. Its easy, also the bolt is easy to disassemble and clean.
    You might find one at the gun shows for about $350 to $400.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I've got a MkIII Hunter model.

I hate the fiber optic sights, but it is pretty accurate once you get it sighted in.

I paid around $470, and it's gone through about 3000 rounds with one jam (i think).

DAVE

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My buckmark is more accurate than I can shoot. Take down is very simple, much easier than my dad's ruger.
    Another plus is that the barrel is seperate from the frame. You could change your barrel lenght or change to a threaded barrel even without having to buy a new pistol. There are some nice aftermarket barrels out there.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I was just wondering what you would recommend for me to get in a full sized 22 LR automatic pistol. Can any of you help steer me in the right direction (or further add to my choices and confusion)?

Have you considered a conversion kit for one of your Glocks ?

The AACK is an excellent choice. Costs about $250. Match grade barrel, and lets you use the same trigger, same sights, same mag release, etc. that you use on your carry Glocks. So your plinking time still builds repetitions that will transfer (to a large extent) to your carry gun.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana

The AACK is an excellent choice. Costs about $250. Match grade barrel, and lets you use the same trigger, same sights, same mag release, etc. that you use on your carry Glocks. So your plinking time still builds repetitions that will transfer (to a large extent) to your carry gun.
    Dawg makes a good point. There's a bunch of 1911 uppers that are real accurate that you can get.:confused:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette

I never really gave a conversion kit too much thought, but with the ever increasing price of ammo, that is another avenue that I am going to have to consider! I think a dedicated .22 LR AR-15 upper as well as a conversion kit for either my Glocks or 1911s may be another option to consider.

Top Bottom